Cheap Multi-Pattern Condensors

Which sub-$500 multipattern is the best all-round value?

• Studio Projects T3 ($500)

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • ADK A-51 TL ($500)

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Audio Technica 4050 ($480)

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • Groove Tubes GT57 ($450)

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Studio Projects C3 ($360)

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • CAD M179 ($200)

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • Studio Projects B3 ($160)

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other ($???)

Votes: 21 19.4%

• Total voters
Yes folks, you heard it from PMI, do NOT waste your hard earned money on quality mics. Your music, apparently, isn't worth it.

sile2001 said:
I was just going to ask that!!!

I've got a deuce of them and they have served me very well for everything from vocals, drum overheads, ambient cab miking, choirs, ensembles, etc... Darn good mics and so little is ever said about them...

Sile

I've been curious about that, too.....the other M-Audio products like soundcards, preamps, and other interfaces are mentioned so frequently, and so well spoken of, but almost nothing is said about their microphones.

Is it a question of "darn good for a computer company sound" vs. "darn good sound and sound is all we do sound"? Maybe I'm phrasing it inelegantly, but is the perception that the best mic from a computer based company cannot be compared to a comparable audio company's product? If, say, frequency specs, etc. are otherwise similar, what do the audio companies' ears bring?

I know this is a more complex question than I am able to articulate right now ..... I don't mean offense to any one concerned.... I think I'm wondering whether they might actually be undiscovered jewels because they're not tested with the big boys, or whether they're really just great for certain types of recording at the price, like their other products....

:confused:

I was also wondering about other m-audio stuff, like mics. I never head of them until I got their monitors, bx5. Seems like quality stuff, so far. I did have to listen a lot over a period of time before buying from a company I had no experience with. Same w/ SP mics, never heard of them until DJL's comments. :)

DJL said:
Hmm, thanks for the tip... it's good to know that your more expensive mics aren't any better than your cheaper mics.

I think what Alan meant was that all the cheap mics out there are just as good as the more expensive mics ... except for his. The higher-end SP mics are the only higher-end mics out there that are actually better than their less expensive counterparts.

I think that's what he meant to say.

See, I'm on Alan's side, now. I'm his pimp-daddy.

geet73 said:
What's with the huge bump on this, DJL?

Time to review your 12 step program again, DJ - you've been doing so well. Now you've even got chessnut's blue-veined throbber twitching again.

chessrock said:
I think what Alan meant was that all the cheap mics out there are just as good as the more expensive mics ... except for his. The higher-end SP mics are the only higher-end mics out there that are actually better than their less expensive counterparts.

LOL... yea, his post was pretty dumb wasn't it.
geet73 said:
What's with the huge bump on this, DJL?
This thread has a "POLL" in it... so, everytime someone votes on the poll the thread gets bumped back to the top of the board. Anyway, after it got bumped back to the top of the board by someone and after re-reading it again I couldn't help but also add a comment.

crazydoc said:
Time to review your 12 step program again, DJ - you've been doing so well. Now you've even got chessnut's blue-veined throbber twitching again.
It's really hard for me not to say something when I read those kind of post from businesses. But... Ok bro... consider it done. I'm back to keeping my ass down and my ears up.

Last edited:
eeldip said:
yep the m179 is nice. especially at its price point. if you are looking for used, the e300 is nicer. (slightly sweeter top end). usually $250 or so.
+1 on the CAD E300. I've been trying to get a second one but keep getting outbid.

Gt57

I've used alomost all of those mics, all of which I sold for a loss. I kept the GT57 though. It sounds reat for most MS apps. class A FET for a Behringer price. Also the mic is now under the new name Sterling Audio. SA57 I believe. They make a decent ribbon and tube also.

alanhyatt said:
Cheap is a strong word, especially when you consider the quality you can get in many of the cost effective multi-pattern mikes out there. Many of these lower cost mikes can outperform the more expensive mikes, so don't sell them short. Any mic is only as good as the room, the talent, and the engineer. Price is not the issue anymore.
Perhaps this could be better said..........
"A growing number of the lower cost studio mics, now on the market, have attained a level of quality where their sound reproduction capacities have crossed into the realm of higher priced microphones and in some cases have become primary staples if not "go-to" microphones in project and professional recording facilities. In other words, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a higher quality industry acceptable microphone anymore." :D

chessrock said:

No, he meant there are plenty of cheap mics from various makers that are every bit as good as high end mics. There are many reasons why some "cheap" mics cost more than others, a tube mic costs more to make as does a multi pattern mic and so on. I didn't see where Alan said his higher priced mics sound better, in fact he said nor implied nothing of the sort. If in this day and age some people still think a thousand dollar mic is going to sound better than a two hundered dollar mic just because it cost a thousand dollars and has a certain name stamped on it than so be it, there's a sucker or three born every minute. Ever hear of a Shure 57? I guess all these producers were too cheap the last 30 years to buy a "real" dynamic mic and settled for making multi million selling albums with a sub $100 mic to save a few hundred dollars! :rolleyes:

This review covers most mics mentioned in this thread,,,,

http://emusician.com/mics/emusic_mics_colors/

Seems like no coincedence that the more balanced, consistant mics cost the most,

As much as many get snobbish on th Sp and MXL's of the world there's obviously a niche. Hell , there cool collect even if your no Roger Nichols or something. The extra $$$$ gets the last 10 or 15% that's demanded if your pro, Otherwise why shell out 1K for one mic??? :D

Last edited:
I've got a veritable boat load of mics. These include MXL's, Neumans, AT, AKG, Shure, etc.

They all work. I'm still quite amazed at how good the MXL V67G can sound on certain uses. I've got a V69M that I stuck a NOS Mullard in. Sounds pretty lush... It's fun to collect these inexpensive mics, mod them, whatever.

I would comment that the AT4050 is a very nice microphone that plays well in any studio.

SteveE9C6 said:
I'm still quite amazed at how good the MXL V67G can sound on certain uses. I've got a V69M that I stuck a NOS Mullard in. Sounds pretty lush... It's fun to collect these inexpensive mics, mod them, whatever.

Well it's important to remember that allot of " classic" gear was made w/ the best available technology of the time. much of it sucked big time but people give old stuff a mythical "mojo factor" and the big buck mic companies can take advantage of high profit margins based on that belief system. Allot of progress has been made in mfg. and just because it doesnt cost big$$$ does'nt automatically mean it's not a usefull mic. Just Ask Harvey Gerst!!! :D

Back