cheap, crude, effective pc silence/cooling mods

chugheshc

I thought I'd post this - some of the crudest handiwork I've taken part in since
I was 9 or 10 years old.

It looks bad, but it works well - a single large diameter fan with/heat sensitive speed, cools the cpu, the power supply the hard drive & the video card.
very, very quiet.
PC1.jpg

PC2.jpg

PC3.jpg

Last edited:
neat mod. Thanks for sharing.

But I gotta ask: What did you use to open up your case in the back? A ball peen hammer? :eek:

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but I really doubt that'll be adequate cooling for the entire computer, including that as the CPU's sole source of cooling.
I would keep a close eye on how hot everything is getting.

I made a diagram showing how I think you made it work. One problem is that the ari behind the PC will cross-contaminate the cool intake with the exhaust.
I would try to find a way to make it exhaust out the front. But even then I don't think the power of that one fan will be enough.

PC3a.jpg

thanks for the comments guys, glad you enjoyed it.

thanks for the diagramming tarnation sauce, it does make it much easier to
portray what I am doing.

I actually works quite well in practice - internal box temperature is
94 degrees (72 ambient), and the fan seldom spins up above it's minimum RPM. It's been (a potential fire hazard) working 24/7 for about two years now, cross my fingers no real problems.

I actually used diagonal cutters (dykes) to rip out the back of the box..... you know how it is when you are excited, and it would take an extra hour to dissassemble the box and use a jigsaw. I'll probably do a better job on the next DAW, however far in the future that is. This is a 2.4GHZ pentium,
and I've tested it up to 48 tracks of 16/44, so it's going to be a while before I
reach the limits (maybe never).
cheers
C.

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
Hey tarnationsauce2, I see your location is in Oregon. Mind if I ask what city?
I'm in Coos Bay.
fitZ
Hey a fellow beaver stater!
The land of no sales tax :) and it's illegal to pump your own gas :(.
lol
I'm in Beaverton. I've been to Coos Bay before, nice place.

Cool...feelin' like a reunion...Coos Bay is my home town. Then moved to Coquille for awhile.

Threadjack!
it's ok though.
I vacationed in Oregon last summer - yahachts? (spelling?)
then I went up to Mt. Hood. Nice country, nice folks.
expecially recommend Sakura Ridge bed & breakfast.
cheers
C>

Back