chargers

Nothing can be done about the population because you can never stop people shagging.

Grown up discussion and no conspiracys. Like I say 50 years I have been into this.

So ok nitty gritty time. Show me the countries which are underwater as predicted 50 years ago and 30 years ago? I can show you the predictions made then and others made along the way. All of them totally wrong and part of what is pushing this green agenda.

But we can go on like this forever. I have my opinions garnered from the sources I have cited. We must agree to differ and part friends?

Dave.

We are only friends Dave. As I said, a grown up discussion. Sea levels rises and falls are caused by different things and at different times. The predictions are way off and have never come true. If they had any chance of coming true, then no insurance company would touch your house purchase by the sea. Also billionaires and bigwigs like Obama, Bezos and Gates wouldn't spend tens of millions buying sea front property. Like I said, where are the islands or in fact anywhere under sea water?
I do not know of any as you well know. Can you tell me the ones that were predicted to be submerged all that time ago and the reference?

This is the problem with the whole environmental issue. People are picking at the problem with their own agendas. Nobody likes to be told what to do but unless the world's leaders start doing something bloody big, bloody soon the matter will solve itself and not to humanity's benefit nor that of hundreds, maybe thousands of species.

Dave.

Iron is produced by reduction with coke, that can be done in an electric arc furnace. Coke is produced by roasting coal but the gasses produced do NOT have to be vented to the atmosphere, they can be caught and used as chemical feedstock or if burned the CO2 produced captured...remember a year ago when the world was SHORT of CO2 for fizzy drinks and vakpak foods?

But! There is probably enough scrap steel already in the world to last forever IF we were serious about recycling and thus we don't need coal at all!

Some things are counter-intuitive. For instance, many scientists think we should use the Methane from landfill and other sites to produce electricity pro tem because letting Methane escape is some 20 times worse than the CO2 produced by burning it.

Yes, plastic is a huge problem but we really have to tackle the climate as well and possibly sooner but even more urgent IMHO is that we must come up with a totally new economic model for the world otherwise billions are doomed to a really bad life.

Dave.

We HAVE plenty of Carbon without using coal! CO2, Methane (and Methane IS used on many landfill sites already) Limestone we have aplenty in UK at least.
Yes, some of these alternative steel producing processes are less efficient than the old blast furnace perhaps but if the energy is non polluting wind or solar?

The bottom line however, and THIS is what the politicians will not tell us is that we ALL have to use a hell of a lot LESS of everything and we in the west even less than the rest of the world. In a word, the US and EU should "retire".

And, PLEASE stop with the people thing unless you have a viable, humane solution.

Dave.

When I was a kid in the 70s - the promenade in our town was where we gathered to run through the waves crashing over the top - when the tide was in, it was around two feet below the top on a still day, and about fifteen steps down when the tide was out. Now, the sand is up to the top because currents changed - but the water NEVER covers it, so sea level at the UK's most easterly town is way down on what it was 50 years ago, yet everyone says it is rising. well, not here! no idea if it is just staying somewhere else, uphill? I just see sand, never water.

I to agree. Green is a pleasant future goal, but for now, I personally hope the proposed new nuclear plant gets the go ahead - 25 miles from here. My local recycling centre was so full that everything was going to land fill. I'd separated a van full of cardboard, wood, metal, green waste and when I got there - everything was doors closed - it all went to the un-recyclable section. Probably up to their target, so not a problem. Given two choices - throw something away to recycle or to landfill, recycle gets my stuff. However - I cannot afford energy at the moment - computers never off for years are now switched off because it costs too much, not because its bad for the planet. I strongly suspect the green policies are skewed, and like my sea level, temperatures appear to not be going up?

Incidentally - I never knew Australia even had snow ....... ever!

It is a comfortable 20C outside here and everything is growing like ***K! One of the problems the scientists face is that people cannot learn the difference between 'climate' and 'weather'.

I am sure New Scientist won't mind me copying that editorial (especially if you were to buy a fekkin copy!)
N S are not concerned with parochial issues, they cast their net wide and have reports from scientists all over the world...All of them agree we are in the shit climate wise.

No, I don't have a degree in Industrial Processes but I am not stupid I know the chemistry of Iron extraction you can do it with the ore in a crucible if you have a hot enough torch OR an induction heater!

But, in the end it does not matter HOW we make "things" we just have to make vastly fewer of them.

Dave.

Attachments

• new s09062022.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Discounting the 'green-ness' of electric vehicles doesn't at the same time act as an argument against global warming. Sea level rise is happening [as well as average temps increasing across the planet]. Climate and geological changes happen on a long timeline globally and the human mind isn't wired to perceive/comprehend timelines that extend beyond a human lifespan. Thus, we have people who refute because they can't verify with their own eyes (same mindset of flat-earthers) and those whose conscience would have difficulty reconciling existence knowing everything we do, day in and day out, are causing destruction in the name of convenience. Think "it's snowing outside, so much for global warming" contrarians.

Sadly, after 156,004,557 internet discussions on global warming, it's still happening. People are still refuting it's happening. More discussions that change no one's minds are imminent.

Discounting the 'green-ness' of electric vehicles doesn't at the same time act as an argument against global warming. Sea level rise is happening [as well as average temps increasing across the planet]. Climate and geological changes happen on a long timeline globally and the human mind isn't wired to perceive/comprehend timelines that extend beyond a human lifespan. Thus, we have people who refute because they can't verify with their own eyes (same mindset of flat-earthers) and those whose conscience would have difficulty reconciling existence knowing everything we do, day in and day out, are causing destruction in the name of convenience. Think "it's snowing outside, so much for global warming" contrarians.

Sadly, after 156,004,557 internet discussions on global warming, it's still happening. People are still refuting it's happening. More discussions that change no one's minds are imminent.
Yes, I take my facts from such as Sir David Attenborough who has been alive longer than anyone one this forum and I cannot see the BBC giving him free reign to peddle nonsense. Just on the "special steel" debacle? If you use scrap steel from car bodies to make more car bodies..Bazinga!

Stop the presses! The EU have passed a ban on the sale of ICE cars past 2035! I VERY much doubt that will bother me.

N very B (because some people seem to read these things differently) the ban is on the sale of NEW cars with ICE. You will still be able to zoom about in your Jag or Mustang.

Dave.

I'm not an EU supporter, but USB-C chargers are most welcome.
I wonder if an even better idea will come along, once were tied to USB-C.

I remember I used to have a charger many years ago which used to have about 4 different end plugs and you could charge most things. Then they bought out these tiny flat ended plugs on phones.

Back