Changing guitar strings

mx_mx

Does anybody know any good sights showing how to properly change guitar strings? Preferably video, but good pictures would be enough. Ive been playing for 7 years and this is something ive never been able to do. My strings are always really loose on the pegs and the guitar goes out of tune every time i play it. Any help appreciated.

You are a legend. But im confused. Is there a reason why he did the 5th string first? Everywhere ive read says its best to do the 1st or 6th string first. Or does it really not matter?

It doesn't matter.

I think maybe that was just the point he got the camera out? It's hard to say but I see no reason for it.

Personally I start at the high e and work my way through, as I normally only change strings sets at a time, I don't really break strings or at least very very rarely.

Yeah even if i do break a string i usually change the whole set otherwise the one string would sound 'newer' and it would be wierd. I was just sick of paying AU$30 everytime i needed to do it so thanks very much for the link.

Not sure what kind of guitar you're using, but if it's of any significant value they say strings should be changed one at a time. In other words, don't take all 6 strings off at once. Take one off, replace it, take the next string off, replace it, etc....

It's better for the neck to have tension on it.

ez_willis said:
Not sure what kind of guitar you're using, but if it's of any significant value they say strings should be changed one at a time. In other words, don't take all 6 strings off at once. Take one off, replace it, take the next string off, replace it, etc....

It's better for the neck to have tension on it.
I agree that is how i do it too. I just meant I change the whole set in one sitting.

Yeah thats what i meant too. I play a les paul so all the bits fall off if i take all the strings off.

If you're seriously breaking single strings all the time it might be time to go up a guage - I think I've broken maybe a couple of strings in the last 10 years - shouldn't really happen that often...

mx_mx said:
Yeah even if i do break a string i usually change the whole set otherwise the one string would sound 'newer' and it would be wierd. I was just sick of paying AU$30 everytime i needed to do it so thanks very much for the link.
I live on the WA south coast so getting strings at a reasonable cost was a hassle until:

http://www.stringthis.com/

I buy 24 sets at a time.

No no, i hardly ever break strings. I was just saying on the odd occasion that i do break one, i would change the whole set.

I didn't realise the australian quote on the string prices, but, damn what sort of strings are you guys buying? I use ernie ball currently but I am looking at trying elixir... I get a set of ernie balls for $12.50...

I am in melbourne though...
but that is a huge difference in price...

*edited due to typos*

kahuna said:
I live on the WA south coast so getting strings at a reasonable cost was a hassle until:

http://www.stringthis.com/

I buy 24 sets at a time.
Its not so much the cost of strings themselves that i was concerned about. It was more the fact that i had to keep paying the guitar shop to change them for me. Until now that is.

mx_mx said:
Its not so much the cost of strings themselves that i was concerned about. It was more the fact that i had to keep paying the guitar shop to change them for me. Until now that is.
These guys would still save you a bundle.

I don't have any connection to them, but the service is great and the strings are really good.

It's nice to have a stash of strings.

kahuna said:
These guys would still save you a bundle.

I don't have any connection to them, but the service is great and the strings are really good.

It's nice to have a stash of strings.
Hrmm they sell ernie ball's and stuff overseas but not elixirs. *sigh*

perceive said:
I didn't realise the australian quote on the string prices, but, damn what sort of strings are you guys buying? I use ernie ball currently but I am looking at trying elixir... I get a set of ernie balls for $12.50...

I am in melbourne though...
but that is a huge difference in price...

*edited due to typos*
Elixirs cost around $40 :eek: a set at the store in Australia - at least in Perth.

Can't even get them down here in Denmark.

Back