CEP v2: Recording an Audio Stream From Soundcard?

sloom

Hi! Okay, I have one for you Cool Edit Pro geeks. And I mean that in the most complimentary of ways...

I have been granted access by the artist to a collection of music, and it's on a web-site that has a 'player' on it. The execution of the player is very good, no skips or stuttering. I want to be able to record from the site right into Cool Edit Pro, v2. Does anyone know how to do it? I do an internet radio show ("The Doctor Roger Radio Hour, 990WBOB.com") and I'm trying to download the material for airplay.

I have an M-Audio Delta 1010-LT as the default audio device (and Cool Edit Pro, v2) on my home machine. XP, SP3...

I'll try and coerce my wife into baking you a dozen home-made cookies if you can tell me how, or point me to the info. No promises, but I'll do my best. : ) Alternatively, if you have some interesting music/aural stuff and a story, I'll play YOUR work on the show too... really.

Thanks!

I never thought I'd hear myself say this but...

In this case your best bet might be to set your inbuilt soundcard (whatever sort you have) for recording while recording this collection. Change the setting in CEP and then, on the Windows sound mixer, set the recording to be "Wave Out" or "What U Hear". I've seen it labelled either. I wouldn't normally suggest a built in but, as you won't be using the rubbish mic pre amp, you should be okay quality wise. I've resorted to this when I need to record offline.

Three other options you can look at:

Depending on the web site player, if you RIGHT click (rather than left click) you may be offered an option to download rather than simply play live.

Or, another trick I've used, get a cable and patch from the proper output(s) of the 1010 to input(s) of the 1010. You'll have to set up routing in the 1010 control panel but it does work.

Finally, in the past I've used a nifty bit of software called VIRTUAL AUDIO CABLE. There's a trial version on the site I linked to.

One thing worth saying is that CEP doesn't have much (if anything) to do with routings like this--it just records what it is being sent by your interface. Therefore, any solution to this has to be in the interface, not within CEP.

Back