ceiling intrusion questions?

bluesfordan

Again, this is my first basement room to set up in on a permanent basis. Bisecting the room is the center support beam of the house, 6"(15cm) wide by 8"(20cm) high, with a lally column about 1/3 from wall. Room is 12'(3.66m) wide by about 22'(6.71m) long. There are HVAC ducts to one side of the center beam, to box it off would be about 48"(1.22m) wide with a clearance to the floor of about 75"(1.91m). To wit, there would be an 11'x12'(132sf or 12.26m squared) area of full ceiling and the opposite side would have about 7'(2.13m) of full height ceiling and 4'(1.22m) of 75"(1.91m) height.

I was wondering what sort of affect upon sound waves does an intrusion like a box built around the beam and duct work on the ceiling make? Most of the rooms talked about have continuous flat ceilings. There is much discussion about wall/ceiling boundaries, I imagine there might be a similar scenario here as well. In short, would a bass trap across the room (on either/both sides of the beam/duct box) be of any benefit at this junction? Or would it be too small to be of any use?

I'm thinking maybe making the end of the room with the ceiling box the performance side, and the other side the 'control room/ mixing' area. I have the option of having a non corner entrance so bass traps in the four corners would be doable.

I was wondering what sort of affect upon sound waves does an intrusion like a box built around the beam and duct work on the ceiling make? In short, would a bass trap across the room (on either/both sides of the beam/duct box) be of any benefit at this junction? Or would it be too small to be of any use?
Scope your room with REW - find out what is going on - then make decisions based on hard data.

What you have is an extra 'corner' that needs to be treated with acoustic trapping material (compressed fibreglass or rockwool).

Back