CD's are being phased out as early as 2012

I definitely disagree, Grim. The spontaneity and unpredictability of live is part of what makes it great.
Plus, there's a lot that goes into a live show that can never be captured on the CD (part of why live CDs need to get touched up. Those little mistakes sound great live; not so great later.)
You've got the audience participation, the energy of the crowd and band feeding back into each other.
But as Fleet said, they are apples and oranges. Neither live nor recorded music is better than the other. They're both great, but they're different.
If you look at what I said, I specifically made the point that I wasn't saying live gigs ain't great. Dahlbaker's original point was moreorless that music is live and should be listened to live and that recordings are in effect an inferior species. Aside from the fact that almost every member of HR.com exists on HR because of recording, history, progress and humanity, not to mention sheer logistics, have rendered that view pretty obsolete. It's a bit like saying that films are second degree ~ where it's really at is the theatre.

I'm with you on this.

Some of the very greatest recordings are recordings of live performances.
The two key words here ~ "Some" and "Recordings". If there are 1,000,000 recordings, 67 still comprizes "some".
Some of my favourite albums are live ones, whether they were touched up or not. But that's the point ~ the gig happened once, I wasn't there, but I have the recording and I can listen to it as frequently as I wish until I die. I can, for example, gorge on listening to "Status Quo live" or Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Between nothingness and eternity" or Motorhead's "No sleep til Hammersmith" until I drop. I could not stomach seeing them live until the same dropping !
And the very best thing for me is to see someone creating right then and there.
I'm really uninterested in seeing an artist slavishly recreate their album note for note ...... any tribute band can do that.
And I don't listen to albums over and over ....... boring after a while for me.
Interesting one, that. I'm definitely a little schizophrenic when it comes to this, I was always torn between wanting a band to pretty much play the songs as I knew them and allowing them the space to stretch out and improvize. I know that I couldn't be placed in a straightjacket if it was me. I'd have to improvize, at least a little. But it often depended on the genre or the band. AC/DC played their stuff pretty much as is and it was great. Obviously Angus would extend his solos when he jumped on Brian Johnson's shoulders and waded through the audience. But it was pretty much as is. On the other hand, with the jazzier gigs, it was impossible to tell because the pieces were long anyway. It was hard enough to follow on the record !
I dug most of what happened in gigs. But they never compared with the choice of listening to what I want, when I want to.

I'm perfectly happy just listening to the same old stuff I've been listening to for 25 years.
With the odd addition here and there, so am I. I don't look for new music and while "Onye ma echi ?" {"Who knows tomorrow ?"} still applies, I'll be surprized if I ever go pursuing it again, especially as I enjoy actually creating my own.
I've relieved all my pressure !

I basically never listen to music for enjoyment.

It's kinda sad really ..... I used to LOVE just listening

And I have a monstrous record collection too but meh. Too much music all the damned time for 40+ years'll do that to ya'.
I listen to albums each day as I drive about. But if I didn't, I wouldn't listen to stuff much. There's not as many hours in the day as there was 30 years ago !

I listen to albums each day as I drive about. But if I didn't, I wouldn't listen to stuff much. There's not as many hours in the day as there was 30 years ago !
even there I mainly listen for work.
I do a LOT of my preparing for gigs in the truck since I'm in it a couple hours a day.
Actually, it's pretty rare that I sit down with an ax and pick out parts.
generally I'll just listen to stuff a few times.
But even there, if I have nothing I need to work on, I'll listen to NPR unless they're playing classical music or really, any music. In that case I go for silence.

My 1st CD was The Big Dexy's middle period album Yoo...etc . with Come On Eileen. It was agift along with a marantz player from the missus. Man, that was an expensive unit.
Grim,
As an absolute dyed in the wool Horslips fan I'll have to look into that albums ( as a download if it's not available anywhere). Have you seen the Horslips DVD Dancehall Sweethearts? Superb (the reunion DVD is really good too).
dahlbaker is in line with the phiosophy behind the Recording Angel. Aerformance is a performnace and even a recording of a performance changes that performance (track list/sequence, left stuff out, different listening point etc) as well as not being able to reproduce the "event": the stepping on your foot, the abnticipation, the meeting of eyes etc. and that therefor any recording becomes a performance in and of itself. That recording an album becomes an event and "performance" and that each replaying of a recording becomes a unique performance by virtue of the time, mind set, machinery, company, food, wines, lighting etc.
Methinks the book goes a little far.

Last edited:
You guys had some pretty mature tastes. The first album I actually owned was Pac-Man Fever.

I was talking about the first CD I ever owned. That was Never Mind the Bollocks. The first album I can remember having, well there were three given to me at the same time: Kiss - Dynasty, Cheap Trick - Live at Budokan, and Billy Joel - Glass Houses. Mr Joel's album did not get played much.

....and Billy Joel - Glass Houses. Mr Joel's album did not get played much.

i remember when i was 9 and that album was popular. "You May Be Right" was all over the radio and i just remember thinking "This is the rawest, most dangerous music I've ever heard... this guy has a bad attitude."

i remember when i was 9 and that album was popular. "You May Be Right" was all over the radio and i just remember thinking "This is the rawest, most dangerous music I've ever heard... this guy has a bad attitude."

Yeah and then you listened to the rest of the album and fell asleep.:laughings:

As an absolute dyed in the wool Horslips fan I'll have to look into that albums ( as a download if it's not available anywhere).
rayc, you can download the album here. Dave Callinan seems quite happy for people to download it for free. He's just amazed that it's held in such legendary status.
I got into Horslips in a strange way. I literally woke up one morning and the name 'Horslips' was on my mind. It just seemed like the name of an Irish band. I don't recall ever having consciously thought of them, though I must've at least heard of them because they have a small entry in the NME encyclopedia of rock which I had once owned. But there's probably 800 entries in there and at the time, most of them I wasn't interested in {Area Code 15, Asleep at the wheel, John Guerrin and hundreds like that}. Anyway, I used to work with a guy whose parents were Irish and I asked him if he'd ever heard of something called Horslips and he mentioned the book of invasions. So I went to one of these little Irish stores in Willesden Green and the cassette was there. But I didn't want the cassette so I gambled upon finding an album somewhere, somehow. None of the main stores like HMV, Tower and Virgin had any early Horslips. I happened to be on a trip the next day to this crummy seaside town, Margate, with some kids who had planned to run off there without their parents knowing and I'd said, don't do that, ask them, organize it and I'll supervize you lot {they were 10 and 11}. I wasn't thrilled with being there but whenever on my travels in those days, I'd hunt down the 2nd hand record stores and nearly always came out a happy man. So I'm looking under the 'H' section and I see this hairy hand,Horslips-The-Tain.jpg after which I saw the word Horslips. I only needed to see the year as 1973 and I bought it straight away. It was really good and at the end of the following month, I stumbled across "Dancehall sweethearts" and "The unfortunate cup of tea" and proceeded from there. My favourite triumvirate of Horslips Lps. Actually, they're in my elite club of artists that have managed to string together five great albums in a row.
Some guy was writing their biography a few years ago and the news was that he'd finished it. I e~mailed Barry Devlin about it to ask where I could get it but he said it didn't get finished because the writer fell ill. Oh well.

Back