CD duplication - cost effective small run distribution

T-shirts = inventory (all the different sizes), "got this in red?", "long sleeve?" .... I've also seen that unless you've got a 'great idea'/logo/catch-phrase on your tshirts, anything more than $20 = NO SALE. The big bands have tshirts @ $35+ because that covers the cost of all the shirts they end up selling off to a liquidator at the end of the tour.

It's true. Their system is free from human fuckup. It's almost like some self-aware machine that pumps out CDs.

One minute the self-aware machine is pumping out CDs, the next, its coming back in time to Kill Sarah Conner... :D

Seriously, it sounds really cool. Greg, what was the approximate turn around time from when you ordered to when they shipped?

thanks.

what was the approximate turn around time from when you ordered to when they shipped?
I've ordered CD's from them 4 or 5 times. I always got them within a week or less. You can track your shipment from the time you place the order.

You need to master the art of standing over people and making them buy a CD.... damnit! :) I've sold probably as many as I will now, apart from the odd straggler, and I'm ~ $500 up on my cost of manufacture (there were two of us). It helps working in a large company and having a large IT department who need me to sign their documentation off... :laughings: god knows if anyone ever listened to it!

On the other hand, I've had numerous people say "I don't DO CDs... I'll buy it on iTunes"... and this is my total digital revenue as at today for the project: View attachment 87522

So people say they'll buy things online but don't get around to it or were just trying to get rid of you... whereas if I'm standing there with a CD and can change any note they care to proffer, and it's payday... :D

Digital? 3 album downloads and a scattering of plays from various online radio stations... meh.

First let me say your sales look like the Beatles compared to mine.. :D
Second, I don't do mp3s, I do CDs and make them into mp3s. I want a hard copy of what I bought, but that's just me. I'm old, as my 16 year old daughter reminds me of constantly.. :D

I've ordered CD's from them 4 or 5 times. I always got them within a week or less. You can track your shipment from the time you place the order.

cool. that's why I wanted to know the ship date, since I live in Illinois and they are located outside of Reno, NV.

As the rest have indicated, there just isn't that much sales potential for most of us here.

Boy, what a buzz-kill.. :D

Just kidding. The smart thing to do is to start off small, and you sell out then consider re-ordering another way.

I played around with Kunaki's cost calculations. For me the reasonable sweet spot is a quantity of 130 for $202.70. Your results may vary.
More than 130 the shipping just quite a bit because they switch from the "If it fits it ships" USPS to UPS. I would have to order a lot more CDs to bring my average back down.

If I actually sold 130 CDs I would be really pleased with myself. :D

One minute the self-aware machine is pumping out CDs, the next, its coming back in time to Kill Sarah Conner... :D

Seriously, it sounds really cool. Greg, what was the approximate turn around time from when you ordered to when they shipped?

thanks.
About 7-10 days for a brand new product. Reorders within a week.

Yes... I suspect that was a friend of my girlfriend, who's English and emailed all her English friends, rather than someone in Berlin finding us randomly and thinking we're cool...... :D

Good for you guys, we're still trying to break through over there. :D

Good for you guys, we're still trying to break through over there. :D

I earned .0001 cent from a stream in central America, and another .0001 cent from Japan last year. So, I'll have my booking agent lease the Gulfstream IV for my worldwide tour... :laughings:

Let me toss in my 2 cents worth...
I do similar stuff as Pinky describes...
I have 2 Canon IP7220 printers...they print inkjet onto inkjet "printable" CD's...the quality is get is VERY good...I do NOT print to stick down labels...
I have BOTH of them running off the same printer....I use SureThing disk labeling software and I can print 2 CD's at a time...Depending on the graphics, it's about 1'30" give or take to print a CD...

I also had a PC with 4 - 5" bays that I put 4 DVD burners in....I use CDRTFE an open source (free) cd burner software and with this I can burn 4 CD's at a time...It took me a long time to test out many and finally come up with the best burner to do multiple burns simutaneously...but it works...
NOTE...I burn WAV files from my original files that I've recorded....I am NOT duplicating a previously burned CD...

I don;t know what equipment you have, but if you are in Windows you probably have 1 DVD burner now...and probably space to install another if you want...

The Canon printer is about $80...

With this setup you can burn 50 CD's and print them in an evening...and it will cost less than sending them out and maybe not be real happy with the results...

With this system you have complete control over your product...

Good luck...
Steve

Thanks Steve, I've always been tempted to get more aggressive in my DIY CD making but lightscribe was about as good as it got for me.

Kunaki has turned out really good, the CDs aren't perfect despite the online previews looking exact. Good enough for the price, and the option to drop ship them (even internationally) has proven invaluable.

http://kunaki.com/Sales.asp?PID=PX00ZLHX1M&PP=1

I'll start a separate thread sometime regarding the album. Here's a quick review from prog-sphere if you're curious:

http://www.prog-sphere.com/reviews/boogeymen-ordinary/

Thanks Steve, I've always been tempted to get more aggressive in my DIY CD making but lightscribe was about as good as it got for me.

Kunaki has turned out really good, the CDs aren't perfect despite the online previews looking exact. Good enough for the price, and the option to drop ship them (even internationally) has proven invaluable.

http://kunaki.com/Sales.asp?PID=PX00ZLHX1M&PP=1

I'll start a separate thread sometime regarding the album. Here's a quick review from prog-sphere if you're curious:

The Boogeymen - Ordinary - Prog Sphere

Good job, I would have chosen a darker font color for track listings, etc, on the cover, kind of hard to read.

Good job, I would have chosen a darker font color for track listings, etc, on the cover, kind of hard to read.

It was intentional, and you can make it out when you have the disc in hand (image on their site is a little small). It's called being "artsie". lol

It fully depends on how professional you want to look. I will be using Discmakers because I want a professional quality CD and packaging. They own CD Baby, who I will use to manage digital distribution.

I earned .0001 cent from a stream in central America, and another .0001 cent from Japan last year. So, I'll have my booking agent lease the Gulfstream IV for my worldwide tour... :laughings:

Since this posting my sales have grown exponentially. Last month it was at $.000001 and today I am proud to announce due to streaming sales, I can report an increase to $.01 Cent!!!! :laughings:

No autographs please!

Back