CD Baby?

I’m thinking of switching to LANDR. I heard Distrokid is pulling music if you receive a spike in listeners, whether it was genuinely by pay to play or if there were legitimate reasons. I’m going to market my newest album again and I’m not dealing with tthat.
Didn't know they had added distribution to their Mastering services. Looks like their no-membership deal costs $29/album, just like CDBaby.

For presence on Amazon, Spotify, etc I've been pleased with Catapult. It's most cost effective to release full albums/multiple songs at once. I get a few cents each month, and have confirmed the albums get distributed. Some of the albums I recently pulled had been up for a really long time (like 6 years).

Bandcamp is good too, as a resource for allowing people to hear the music before buying. It's also easy to add merch/actual CDs and someplace like Kunaki to burn/ship them.

I never got to use CD Baby. Had friends that were pretty happy with it though. I have been attached to a major label record company since 1975. And trust me those contracts are more of a curse. Wish we still had a product you could hold in your hand.

CD Baby is a great resource for getting your music on streaming platforms like Apple Music, Amazon Music, and Spotify. They also have a one-time fee per album, which makes them a more affordable option than some of the other options out there.

--
Jason Hook. I enjoy remixing old songs using Audacity together with UnMixIt for vocal removal or isolation

I think CD Baby is a great resource, but l don't know anyone that ever made any money off it.

I think if you want to make money in music, the only way is by using Satan. You know the demon. The good old fashioned way, selling your soul. It worked for Bob Dylan and Billy Gibbons, but l really don't know how that works? All the big rich celebs in Hollywood are Satan worshippers. Serious, it's real.

A couple years back one of Bob Dylan's ex's called me and said Bill will you come get this? Remember Doug Sahm and Augie Meyers are real tight with Dylan so that's how I'm mixed up in this. I told her l think l saw it on craigslist in the musical instruments section for 2 minutes. She said yeah l tried that but someone flagged it. I said why in the Hell are you trying to sell it? And you don't sell those things, especially on craigslist. She said "I found Jesus and really don't want this anymore. Well the object in question is a Satanic Artifact she bought from a witch doctor in Africa back in the mid 60's. She saw Dylan do it and figured what's good for the goose. Anyway l call this thing Satan's Head. So l said He'll yes l want it, l will come get it right now. We get on the metro train to Bel Air, this women is rich AF and always has been. So we meet at the McDonald's in Beverly Hills and she has this thing in a 99-Only plastic bag, and she pulls it out and sets it on the table in front of us. I'm like goddamnit you don't carry that thing around in public. And l quickly stuff it in a large cloth sack l had brought, but the horns were still sticking out.

So l asked Donna, yes the girl from the Joan Baez song, how does it work? And did you ever use it? She said no she never used it, she could never bring herself to go there. She said all you have to do is display it and use it like a good luck charm for whatever you want, that's it. So lm like cool, what can l do for you in exchange. She said she just wants $60. I said Donna you don't sell these things. She said she was on the bus the other day and the LAPD confiscated her weed she just bought. So I'm like ok, lm going to give you a bunch of weed right now, (weed is completely legal in CA) and gave her a $200 bucks worth of weed. I got it for free. You don't need to buy weed in CA, it's everywhere. And l gave her $60 not for the head, but because she is crazy. All those people are crazy, self included, and walked her to her car.

Now the whole journey to buy Satan's Head is a story in it's self. As Satan once had a body, but he obviously doesn't anymore because l have his head. So l did the proper ritual to seal the head up, because l never intend to use it. I just want it because you know, it's cool AF.

But l know it works. I only showed it to one person, and he said "Yep, that is Satan's Head". Then he died shortly after that. Unfortunately once you use it, Donna said there is no going back. But l don't count that because l wasn't trying to use it. This friend l had just wanted to see it. I didn't want him dead.

So that is the only way l know to sell your soul and make money off the deal. And l don't think it works any other way. You can use that thing, or someone has to bring you in. Anyway that's all l know about that, but l can tell you for a fact that it works. It sounds farie tale, but no it's real. Madonna found out that Donna gave it to me, and started screaming it was hers, but lm not shelling it over to anyone. But Mark my words, those stories about Satan worshippers in Hollywood, they are all true.

Oh and before you ask, the LAPD confiscated her weed because it's like alcohol. You can't bring alcohol onto the bus either. So she has her weed she just bought on her lap in plain sight, and the f*cking bus driver calls the cops. The driver stops and 2 pigs get on the bus and confront her, and then take her weed. They can't ticket or do anything else because it's Legal. But the police can take your weed if your on the metro holding it in plain sight. I did say the LAPD were cruel and evil. Taking an old woman's weed is about as low as you can go. She didn't know, that's why she called us about that. She was pissed!

I made money in the past on CD Baby by putting tracks up for download directly on the site itself, and putting the link to it in all my marketing. This resulted in a few $1 / track downloads with a cut for me.

Same approach works out with more of a cut for you on Bandcamp, though. And it is a much better user experience for your listeners.

I personally don't think artists should support streaming-only platforms like Spotify or Apple Music AT ALL. Don't put your music there. It just devalues music for everyone. There's a good overview of this on Damon Krukowski's web site called The Big Short of Streaming

I made money in the past on CD Baby by putting tracks up for download directly on the site itself, and putting the link to it in all my marketing. This resulted in a few $1 / track downloads with a cut for me.

Same approach works out with more of a cut for you on Bandcamp, though. And it is a much better user experience for your listeners.

I personally don't think artists should support streaming-only platforms like Spotify or Apple Music AT ALL. Don't put your music there. It just devalues music for everyone. There's a good overview of this on Damon Krukowski's web site called The Big Short of Streaming
I have a fair number of albums l recorded over the last 40 years. None of which have ever been released. We were signed with Mercury Records in 1975 but l was under 21 and the label wanted my dad's signature, but he refused. Huey Meaux tried to save the record deal by me playing on top of another band's album which he managed and pass them off as us, but the label figured it out and dropped us. So those albums were never pressed. I re-recorded some of those songs in 1998 as Paramount Blues Review but there were legal issues so none were ever sold, yet it was put up on Amazon and it's still there. And l have no way to remove it.

So l am kind of SOL here. I was doing a project with Pete Boot the drummer for Budgie and Pete sent Ian Hill a copy of my old songs. We opened for Judas Priest in 2004 and the first thing Ian said to me was Never give any of this away on the internet. And l have kept his advice to this day. I put some of PBR on soundclick just to prove it's real. But soundclick is like my waste basket. I don't care about anything l uploaded there, and will never uploaded anything else. I would never put anything on a streaming service because once you do that you lose it forever.

The song itself still belongs to you, but they probably have the recording to play forever if they want to.

Does anyone know about the Copyrighting service that CDBaby offers? Asking because a friend used them. My only concern is that they aren't really using the US copyright office (I know I had to supply a copy of the CD when I did my last copyright with them - and CDBaby didn't ask for one.)

Does anyone know about the Copyrighting service that CDBaby offers? Asking because a friend used them. My only concern is that they aren't really using the US copyright office (I know I had to supply a copy of the CD when I did my last copyright with them - and CDBaby didn't ask for one.)
I can't understand why anyone would use a service for copyrighting if we're talking about registering. The process of registering with the US copyright office is straightforward and easy.

Do they do enforcement, though? I could see that being a paid service.

Do they do enforcement, though? I could see that being a paid service.
No. That would require a license to practice law. While they could have a legal department, the attorneys there would only be in contract with the business owners, and could not represent clients of CD Baby.

The copyright services CD Baby offers only give you grounds to persue that matter, if you desire, with a licensed attorney.

No. That would require a license to practice law. While they could have a legal department, the attorneys there would only be in contract with the business owners, and could not represent clients of CD Baby.

The copyright services CD Baby offers only give you grounds to persue that matter, if you desire, with a licensed attorney.
But I meant more of do they look for unpermitted usage of your work on social media, commercials, etc. and notify you?

But I meant more of do they look for unpermitted usage of your work on social media, commercials, etc. and notify you?
They DO look for your music (the actual recording, not others' versions) in various places (youtube, tictoc, etc), but you don't get a notice about it, and that's nothing to do with 'copyrighting'.

They DO look for your music (the actual recording, not others' versions) in various places (youtube, tictoc, etc), but you don't get a notice about it, and that's nothing to do with 'copyrighting'.
Ha you’re funny. Don’t be testy. Enforcement of copyright is the whole point of copyrighting a work. All copyright claims are federal and have to go through federal court but they require you to get the work registered first (in the US). But before even any of that you would have to know if someone was infringing your copyright first, and many people use various services to find infringement. I don’t know what CDBaby offers in this regard so thanks for the info

Back