Cant Decide On Monitors

applejax

Well I'm buying new active monitors when I get my VS2480 so I have compiled a list and want to know some people's opinions :) I want to keep it around $500...give or take some. Thanks a bunch guys!

1. Roland "DS-5 or DS-7" (is 7 just more wattage than 5?)
2. Alesis "Prolinear" (or some others which are pretty good? :confused: )
3. Yamaha MSP5, MSP3 (are these even around 500 for the pair lol?)
4. Yorkville ysm-1p

OR Any others that you can think of? Now I dont want the depth of the monitors to be OVER 12" because my set up is in a corner (BOO!) and my desk is only so big...lol Anyways I found all of these in EQMag's "Microphones and Monitors" buyers guide. And I've been doing alot of research...but I want your guy's final say. Thanks again :) !

Last edited:
I just read up on them and they seem pretty sweet ...and they're not that deep either :)... I'll add them to my list :)

Line 3-

i just recently have been playing with some mystery.. JBL Control 5's and their not Active.
I'm not sure any of your "Line 3" choices are Active?

anyway, i wouldn't have the Control 5's, on my top of the list and they don't resale too good either. They do have some good reviews and have a detailed sound (can hear reverb trails and piano bench creeks)...you could do worse.

Seem their very versatile if you need that, like mobile outdoor, media TV moving recording studios....

For home only recording, i don't care for the rubber box and metal face plate.
Hell..you know speakers, someone else may love them! too upper mid-rangey for me.

used i'd say $100-175 pair max.
(new $500!!..not worth it, IMO)

just from the numbers game only... I'd put money on your #5- Yorks.

have fun in your search......don't forget some DIY stands and room acoustics... :) :)

Last edited:
It says in the buyers guide theyre active lmao.... i'll take them off the list..And how could I forget the DIY stuff lol ;) I've already got a Monitors + LCD screen stands that are moveable in any direction...they'll be sweet :D lol

And yeah I'm starting to lean towards the Yorks now...Are they able to be placed on their sides...cause thats the best way they'll fit :)

Anyone try the Rolands??

Two of the Roland models were last-place finishers in Future Music mag's monitor shoot-out, a blind listening test conducted by a group of pros eariler this year. Very harsh criticism. The small Yamahas, M-Audios, and Events fared much better.

J.

AJ, if you can't find some to listen to in a store, then I'd use the search function for this forum. Your decision (low-budget monitors) has been raised many times here, and some quick searching will offer tons of helpful reading. I know because I did the same thing here. Start by keying in the monitors you mention, then see what else comes up.

Good luck,
J.

I did a search as soon as I posted my topic lol. Ive been reading quite a few things on the Yorkville's, and a bunch of people say the Alesis m1 mkII are too bassy...etc. So i'm pretty sure I'm going to get the Yorkville's...but I want to know if they can be placed on their sides (because on the yorkville site they have pics of them like that...and just want confirmation)? How much do they go for anyways?? Thanks Jeff :)

PS- Yeah there isnt many places to look at monitors...the only monitors in a store that I know of here are the Alesis M1 MK2's and a couple Behringer's...but I'm gonna go for a drive and visit a music store that has a bunch of stuff.

My only thought would be to check out a pair of KRK RP8s if you can. I love mine, and I listened to a ton of different ones (although admittedly no Yorkvilles). The favorite pair I heard was a pair of Dynaudios for $1000, but the KRKs sounded almost identical (with a bit more bass) for $415. Just a thought. :)

AJ, one other obvious tip: if you can budget it into your purchase, you may want to order, say, your top two contenders and audition them for a week in your own home. I did this myself and found that there's nothing like living with some different monitors for a while to make the decision easier. For me, paying the extra shipping cost (for the "losing" monitors) was well worth it in the long run. Just be sure to check the store's return policy, of course.

J.

Stressball was really cleaned up, technically...different method or equipment??
tight...

i think i liked At All better, as a song...great.

Yes, the Yorkville is a Toronto based company if I'm not mistaken and they retail for I think around 230 or 240 CDN each. So around 500 bucks for a pair.

From what I heard in person from them .. they are extremely tight, crisp, and clear. They definitely sounded clearer to me than the Behringer's which seemed a little washed out and more "hi-fi" speaker sounding. But this was in a bad testing environment. I'll be going back with CD's of my own to do real testing. My impressions are just my fast first time ones. But I can say that the Behringers and Yorkvilles sound different with the Yorkville's sounding more like what you think a "studio monitor" should sound like - very honest and clear.

I was told to give the KRK RP5's a listen as well since they are a little smoother sounding and have a touch more bass than the Yorkville's ... so I'll give them a listen too, but I'm personally also leaning towards the Yorkvilles. They sound completely awesome and are like 20 or so bucks more expensive than the KRK RP5's.

Good luck with your search. Oh, and for the sizing issues, the KRK RP5s are really small where as the Yorkvilles are actually quite big (Mostly in their hight which would be 16 inches or so standing upright.)

And of course, there is nothing wrong with putting them on their side I would think. I'm not sure, but most all of the monitors I've seen I've seen upright and on their sides. Not to mention, as you stated, these are on their sides on the Yorkville site.

Again though, I'll be going back to check them out with my own CD's and I may post my findings here ;)

At any rate, good luck.

Theapex, Thanks for the info man :)

Coolcat, wow your the first on here to comment on my stuff when i didnt even post for people to look at it. So what did you mean it's really cleaned up? over-all how did you find the recordings and other stuff (the quality is probably a bit low because of my cheap soundblaster on my PC lol)? Thanks for the comments :) (GO to www.purevolume.com/paradoxperfect to check out one more song called "push ups". The quality on purevolume is worse though cause they except VERY small files so i had to compress the mp3 alot... and i think the stereo image is alot narrower :) I'll tell you how I recorded everything once you reply lol You'll be surprised lol...

Yorkies...

I got the Yorkvilles, you won't be disappointed. I'm in Vancouver, you can go through Long&McQuade. Plus you've got CDN support and Yorkville has reputed great customer support

applejax said:
So what did you mean it's really cleaned up?
over-all how did you find the recordings and other stuff ?

www.purevolume.com/paradoxperfect to check out one more song called "push ups". The quality on purevolume is worse though cause they except VERY small files so i had to compress the mp3 alot... and i think the stereo image is alot narrower :) I'll tell you how I recorded everything once you reply lol You'll be surprised lol...

when listening to the Stressball & PushUps, it just came in cleaner, the recording sounded better, mixed better..just imo.
At All, i liked the song structure and harmony/dual vocal parts and the break with the instruments changing.

the other stuff? i just went to download..the music.

PushUps is great. a lot of breaks and bridges...really impressive.
very interesting to listen to... you've a good talent with the structure.
Stressball is heavier,doesn't slow down much, but hell you know that you wrote it!!
At All, love the melody, eerie intro, the double harmony cool....the bridge/chorus is when the bass/drums fall back-mask a bit, the first verse and intro is clear as a bell, great bass riffs. probably my favorite of the three...song wise still. Pushups probably the best recorded.

all three are very well written with build ups and breaks, intros, instrument changes.

hell I've already sold 4000 copies man!! thanks!! i needed the money!! the shts selling like hot cakes!!! :eek: ...just kiddin' hehehehee :p

Thanks for the honest opinion man :D
I wrote/recorded/performed-sung everything myself. But me and my band are writing stuff together right now. I like to write in odd orders and not have everything the same.

I did the drums (my own custom drum company) on push ups and stress ball with two 7 (or so) year old mics, a Shure discontinued pencil condenser.. dont know the model lol, and an Audio Technica SM58 sorta knock off. Did all vocals with the SHure. GUitar and Bass were doing by plugging directly into the VS1880 and using the amp sim to get my guitar sounds. Piano/synths on other songs done using a Yamaha PSR-275 Keyboard.

Everything was monitored with "Realistic" (radio shack brand) home theater speakers from the early 80's. And also using various other speakers to get good compatibility with other systems.

Then ran the RCA outs (thats all the VS1880 has which is why i'm upgrading) to my soundblaster 1/8" input on my CPU and then mastered to what you hear now (well they were mastered to WAV's...and then to seperate MP3 files.

Thanks again for the comments man :)

Back