can you help straighten me out? another multitrack usb question

rockironwebb

senior newbie caveman
This is a side thread to one I have going on. I am a drummer. I record 7-9 mics at the same time(alesis firewire 16). Every now and then the lazy members of my "band show up, 2 guitars, 1 bass. I am in the process of upgrading everything. Selling the pc I have been using(with firewire) for laptop. seems firewire is hard to come by as well as pc express slots.
I have been searching for the solution. 16 simultaneous channels available to record. Please advise on gear to get it done using usb. maybe I am not reading clearly enough or just not searching right, but I keep finding usb interfaces that claim multitrack, but are 16 X 4 or what ever. I don't dislike firewire, but many of the badass laptops I am interested in (core i7) don't seem to be available with firewire or an express slot. How do YOU do it?
sorry for probably regurgitating this topic. I'm sure some of yall out there are sick of this "simple shit"

I think I am cunfused about how utilizing multiple devices through one interface would work. when still considering sticking with firewire I was advised that something like a firepod linked with a behringer ADA 8000? somthing or rather would work. Does this same concept jive when using usb? for some reason I just don't believe it can be that simple. when doing something like this, when setting up/arming tracks in DAW, do they just all show up as coming from whatever the interface is?

I'm slightly confused by what you're asking but if you only need 16 in's but don't want firewire why not get the Alesis Mutlimix 16 usb and buy some external preamps to utilise all 16 channels?

And yeah, the ADA8000 with a USB interface with an optical in would work fine. one of the main pro's of firewire is the ability to link two cards together using a firewire cable but optical on usb is fine

Hey,
Firepod and ada8000 won't work out that way.

ada8000 sends 8 mic preamps out to 8 channels of Adat; The firepod doesn't have an adat input.

Take an interface that does though..like my motu 828.

Pro tools sees two mic preamps, eight line inputs, 2 spdif inputs and 8 adat inputs.
They're all there, but all require different things to be used with mics.

2 mic preamps just need a mic (duh)
8 line inputs need preamps and a mics
2 Spdif inputs need mics, preamp and converters or preamps with spdif conversion built in
8 ADAT inputs need mics, preamps and converters or preamps with adat conversion built in

I own 8 preamps with line output, but I could buy an ada8000 to give myself 8 more channels of mic pre/line in.

Since you mentioned the firepod, you can buy two of them and daisychain them (PC - cable - firepod - cable - firepod)
That'd give you 16 mic preamps too.

I am hoping to find a laptop with firewire. I talked to a lenovo sales person today and to my surprise they said that they are always willing to "negotiate" with customers. I gave them the specs that I hope for, along with my budget, as well as some features that are typically included that I can do without, and made it very clear that I will need a express slot that will work for a firewire express card. Someone is supposed to get back to me monday. It is kinda shitty sorting through all of the details of usb interfaces, with multitrack recording claims that turn are not entirely acurate (16 in 4 out). I want nothing to do with the firewire verses usb war, I just want what works and works well (within budget). I have used firewire and it worked well. Sooooo much back and forth about usb and what doe what and how well and how many tracks and so forth. There is a "like new" firepod on craigslist right now for $250, I would love to just get it and then buy a new one and get on with the music.

I am hoping to find a laptop with firewire.

Up to a couple weeks ago I ran 16 tracks on a stock Dell Studio 1555 (T6600 processor, 4GB, 500GB, 2.2GHz, 7200 RPM) that came with a stock 4-pin firewire. Not sure if they're making them like that anymore, but there still seem to be a bunch on fleabay, including this one. (I would ask about the HDD speed though, as the guy doesn't mention it)
It handled it just fine and I only switched to a tower so I could use the laptop for school stuff.

I am starting to look at older laptops. I guess I was silly to assume that $1000 would be able to buy one with all of the options that I require.

Dell Studio 1555 recording 16 tracks out of Studiolive 16.0.2

Up to a couple weeks ago I ran 16 tracks on a stock Dell Studio 1555 (T6600 processor, 4GB, 500GB, 2.2GHz, 7200 RPM) that came with a stock 4-pin firewire. Not sure if they're making them like that anymore, but there still seem to be a bunch on fleabay, including... (I would ask about the HDD speed though, as the guy doesn't mention it)
It handled it just fine and I only switched to a tower so I could use the laptop for school stuff.

Fat Fleet,

I am looking to buy this same laptop (stock as well) locally from a guy on Craigslist...I got a question for you. I am planning on using this laptop to record tracks out of Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2. It would probably be about 10-12 tracks...and I can see that you were successful, but how long could I record for? Can I record a 2-3 show? As far as the hard drive goes, I'd add a decent external disk, but could the rest of the laptop handle it?

Thank you so much!

Fat Fleet,

I am looking to buy this same laptop (stock as well) locally from a guy on Craigslist...I got a question for you. I am planning on using this laptop to record tracks out of Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2. It would probably be about 10-12 tracks...and I can see that you were successful, but how long could I record for? Can I record a 2-3 show? As far as the hard drive goes, I'd add a decent external disk, but could the rest of the laptop handle it?

Thank you so much!

There's a very good chance, though I don't know anything about the Presonus unit you mentioned, it's drivers or what DAW you'd be using. You'd definitely want to at least look at the specs I listed and make sure that the one you want to buy matches or exceeds them because Dell made a few different Studio 1555s with different components and processors. And make sure it has the 4-pin firewire. Also, when I said "ran 16 tracks" I meant that I successfully got the interfaces to work...I think the largest amount of channels I've ever had need to record simultaneously is more like 9 or 10. And I've never tracked for 2-3 hours straight. Obviously you'll want to change the sleep settings.

Other than that, use the extreme caution appropriate for buying a used computer from a stranger on craigslist. Good luck, and don't come gunning for me if it doesn't work and your dreams come crashing down! :D

Laptops have rarely had 6pin FW ports and those that did might not have a TI chipset.

But the demise of FW and PCMI makes it even more curious to me why there seems to be virtually no movemnent on usb 3 interfaces? Usb 3.0 certainly has the grunt* to run more than enough tracks for any concievable location "shoot" and the added bus DC power should allow quite a few phantom powered mic inputs and maybe two headphone outs that can kick some A cleanly for a cahnge!

But surely it would not be the best idea to pull all the juice for a complex AI from a laptop anyway? More power means more heat and that can mean excessive fan noise or even CPU throttling.
In all the paraphenalia needed for a 16track session in a church hall, a wee extra line lump is surely no great burden?

*And maybe nearly as much as Thunderbolt in a year or so?

Dave.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

My DAW of choice is Cubase, but Presonus Studiolive series comes with its own recording/tracking software which is compatible with any mainstream DAW. You could use your favorite DAW instead, but it's not necessary. I ordered the unit today and can't wait for it to arrive so I can start playing around with it.

As far as the laptop goes, I am looking at a few different (used) options. The goal is to have enough power for tracking up to 16 tracks (realistically, probably not more than 10) for an extended period of time without crashing and to have Firewire.

I don't usually buy on Craigslist, but I have also seen some decently priced used laptops on eBay (with similar specs).

Anyway, thank you for the quick response, I really appreciate it.

Baraba

Back