Can you give me some advice on becoming a well-known musician?

Mano Hibiki

Banned
Hello there, my name is Mano Hibiki. I'm from Vietnam. I've been playing piano and composing for about 8 years and now I'm serious in music career, but I don't know what I should do right now. My goal is to be a well-known musician/composer.
I created a Soundcloud account as well, but seems like no one cares about it.
Could you guys give me some advice? :(

Here's some of my newest songs:

A Mid-fall Eve's Dream (Aki No Yuuyake No Yume)

Tomochin's Regret (Tomochin No Kookai)

DIY Musician, CDBaby, MySpace (is kind of dead, but you get exposure), Join your country's version of BMI/ASCAP (songwriter/publisher org). Join songwriter's websites. Join composer's websites.
But posting Soundcloud links that don't work on a site designed for people learning to record, produce and master music as a hobby/semi-serious business in their homes may not be a step in the right direction...
Welcome to the site, and if you have questions about tracking, mixing, producing or mastering we're here for you!

Find well known musicians and ask them how they did it. Find people who became well known recently, because everything has changed in the last few years. The way people became famous 10 years ago won't work now.

Asking a bunch of people who haven't achieved your goal will not help. A lot of the people on this forum at one time or another had that same goal, almost none made it happen.

Get out of your room and start performing in front of people. No one got famous sitting in their bedroom waiting for someone to make them famous. Oh, maybe some hot bimbo, but not a real musician.

I noticed that a lot of nobodies do pretty damn good on youtube. They make a lot of videos displaying their skills, doing covers, doing originals etc. The most important aspect of what they do is product reviews. Those get a lot of hits. If you're demoing new or even old keyboards and other types of gear that you use for your music, you'll have a lot of people viewing your videos eventually. The people who've been doing it for years now get all kinds of awesome gear sent to them for review. They have managed to create a fan base so when they do release original music they actually sell quit a bit. So, between the free gear from sponsors, paid advertisements and music releases they do pretty good.

Other than that you might as well try some stupid ass TV show and hope you have personality lol. Playing live for a crowd of 5 who've never heard of you will take you straight to the top (sarcasm).

I'm sorry because I don't know how to romanized my name so I made a mistake. My name should be written down as HIBIKI ITANO. I did change the name on Soundcloud so the link is broken.

秋の夕焼けの夢/Autumn Sunset's Dream

一緒に歩いて行きましょう!/Let's Walk Together!

ともちんの後悔/Tomochin's Regret

My musical style is actually not "Easy Listening" in Vietnam, so I hardly find a place to show up my songs.

It occurs to me that you didn't clarify that you want to be well-known AS a musician, just a well-known musician.
So the obvious solution is to do something spectacular and newsworthy, maybe some kind of awful crime spree. Then everyone will know you!

(Actually, the dude whose only notable achievement is getting away with killing a teenager gets 6 figures for his mediocre paintings on eBay, so maybe there's something to be said for being newsworthy first and a musician second.)

:D

It occurs to me that you didn't clarify that you want to be well-known AS a musician, just a well-known musician.
So the obvious solution is to do something spectacular and newsworthy, maybe some kind of awful crime spree. Then everyone will know you!

(Actually, the dude whose only notable achievement is getting away with killing a teenager gets 6 figures for his mediocre paintings on eBay, so maybe there's something to be said for being newsworthy first and a musician second.)

:D

Ok, it really makes sense. I'll give a try!!! :D

basically in this internet age it is all about networking, have a profile on all the social networks, have fully formed, well produced COMPLETED songs up on various sites, Soundcloud, Bandcamp, and so on. and then.. go support other indie bands/musicians on those same sites. get your songs on the thousands of internet radios out there. its a slow process, but invest in a healthy ego and cultivate a thick skin and enjoy the journey. and DONT be afraid to ask for advice and help anywhere and everywhere, you may get sarcasm and shrugs a lot of time, but mostly other musicians are in the same boat as you and will try to help.

It's funny how all the people with all the answers are the same people that no one has ever heard of.

Only one thing matters: pure blind dumb luck.

It's funny how all the people with all the answers are the same people that no one has ever heard of.

...and being prepared for an opportunity when it presents itself.

...and being prepared for an opportunity when it presents itself.

I'm inclined to agree with both of these things.
Someone finding you is almost certainly going to be dumb luck, but learning your craft and having an impressive back catalog or portfolio is not.

Back