Can the Tascam Model 24 make a good recording?

At what it does, and what it's designed to do, there still is very little (if anything) on the market that does it as well as the Model 16 and 24. It is fundamentally and at its heart, an analog console with a really great analog eq section. It is sonically a typical higher-end Tascam analog console that not only sounds as such but feels as such as well. From there it can be a great live console, including some really great onboard compression and digital FX's. It can also make a fantastic live-environment recording console with its onboard 24/44.1 recording abilities. With a higher-end memory card, I think I'd trust it to live recording more so than to a computer hard drive rig. It can serve as a tape deck style, stand-alone, all-inclusive, home recording solution. It can be a marvelous hybrid front-end to a DAW rig or it can be 24 channel mixer as a digital return from a DAW
That's all wonderful and I love it.
It just doesn't do what I'd like it to do. Which is why I asked if it did what I wanted it to.
Still looks good to me! You're kinda tryin' to pound a square peg into a round hole and then declaring the peg a shame
You have it the wrong way. I was trying to find out what it did because the video, much as I enjoyed it, wasn't clear to my non-techy mind. That she's not the gal for me and couldn't live in my primitive environ doesn't take away from her maidenly beauty and other qualities.

That's all wonderful and I love it.
It just doesn't do what I'd like it to do. Which is why I asked if it did what I wanted it to.

You have it the wrong way. I was trying to find out what it did because the video, much as I enjoyed it, wasn't clear to my non-techy mind. That she's not the gal for me and couldn't live in my primitive environ doesn't take away from her maidenly beauty and other qualities.
Ha! All good :)

I Have a Yamaha MT8X, a lovely machine which I made some nice demos on in the early 1990's. It was using Chrome tapes and double speed double sided. Very nice, very clean.
I remember at music college in 92. They had 3 original ADATs in a rack.... this is the future!!! They would not sync together, it was hopeless!! Ha ha. Then the 24 track analogue reel to reel machine was the size of a chest freezer. Oh those we the days xxx 🤣🤣🥰🥰🥰

Conceptually, I love this. However, I'd want to know 3 things;
1] Does it have editing capabilities ?
2] Can the signals be reversed ?
3] Does it have varispeed capability ?

The features and overview don't say anything about any of that. Lack of 1 & 3 would be a deal breaker for me. On the other hand, if all three or certainly 1 & 3 were part and parcel, I would seriously consider going out and getting it now. I could pick one up for £849 {$1048}, which isn't bad.
Pretty sure the point of the Tascam Model XX products is that they connect up to your DAW in addition to providing you remote recording capabilities. For all the stuff you're talking about, the Model 16 (or 24 or whatever) would connect to your existing DAW so there's no need for the Model 16 to have those features in and of itself. The purpose isn't to be a standalone for everything but that it can do mobile recording on top of it.

I remember at music college in 92. They had 3 original ADATs in a rack.... this is the future!!! They would not sync together, it was hopeless!! Ha ha. Then the 24 track analogue reel to reel machine was the size of a chest freezer. Oh those we the days xxx 🤣🤣🥰🥰🥰
I was able to sync two ADATs without issue in the late 90s. I don't know if three makes it harder, but we had no issues syncing our two, FWIW.

Pretty sure the point of the Tascam Model XX products is that they connect up to your DAW in addition to providing you remote recording capabilities. For all the stuff you're talking about, the Model 16 (or 24 or whatever) would connect to your existing DAW so there's no need for the Model 16 to have those features in and of itself
My DAW is an ancient standalone.
The purpose isn't to be a standalone for everything but that it can do mobile recording on top of it.
Well, I know that now.
But I didn't before. And so I looked into it.
And found it wasn't what I thought it might be.
I still think it's a great unit.
For someone.
And I learned a way of playing the cymbals and snare together through watching the video.
So all's well that ends well.

I was able to sync two ADATs without issue in the late 90s. I don't know if three makes it harder, but we had no issues syncing our two, FWIW.
With our 16 tracks setup, they would often sync up almost immediately but about one in 5 or one in 10 times they would take about 15 seconds to sync. I would guess that adding an extra machine would increase the likelihood of a long sync time occurring. I found it happened regularly enough to be frustrating and so I continued using analogue 16 track for longer than I would otherwise have done. I now have 3 ADATs but only two are fully working - maybe I should try syncing them all. At one point I also ran the ADATs in sync with the analogue machine - which seemed to work but still with the long sync time issue.

Personally I think the Tascam is great. Especially for someone used to an analog workflow. Plus it’s small enough to be portable, and it’s cheap! like 1300 bucks.

That’s a lot of bang for your bucks!

Yeah, agreed. That's a crazy good price. The only competing product is the Zoom Livetrak series but in my experience the user experience and workflow on Zoom's products gets in the way more often. Tascam has it figured out.

Back