Can i use my current preamp for my rode procaster or should i get a cloud lifter?

chaoshead

I stream and do some broadcasting/podcasting, and i have just gotten the rode procaster, which is a dyn. mic, as you know. Now, i already have a Behringer UMC202HD preamp that i have used to connect my condenser mics for my voiceover stuff. I see a lot of people recommending people to get a cloud lifter for the rode procaster, but since i have the Behringer UMC202HD, do i still need a cloud lifter, or?

The cloudlifter provides extra gain by harnessing phantom power to use for amplification. You only need one if your preamps don't supply enough gain for your dynamic microphone.

I found that the Midas preamps in the U-Phoria series provide enough gain for my purposes, although I haven't used a Procaster so I'm not sure what its sensitivity is like.

Do you feel like you've got enough gain to overcome the noise floor, or do you feel that the Procaster sits well above the noise floor? Basically, do you get noticeable hiss when you get your voice to an acceptable level in your DAW? If so then you don't need an inline amplifier like the Cloudlifter.

I wouldn't say that it won't be as "good" as with a cloudlifter. It won't be as loud given the same preamp gain. And I've heard some people say that the cloudlifter can "open up" how a mic sounds. But if you're getting enough clean gain from your interface's preamp, you'll be good without one.

I wouldn't say that it won't be as "good" as with a cloudlifter. It won't be as loud given the same preamp gain. And I've heard some people say that the cloudlifter can "open up" how a mic sounds. But if you're getting enough clean gain from your interface's preamp, you'll be good without one.

Ok. I will first try with my current preamp to see how that goes. Thanks for the advises.

That Rode dynamic has exactly the same sensitivity as the venerable SM 57 and several people, myself included, have found the UMC pre amps* are quite good enough for the Shure so in general no, you should not need the lifter.

That said "Circumstances alter cases" I have recently given some help (I hope!) to a lady on another forum who has THE sweetest voice but also VERY soft and in such a case a dynamic and even a 'good but not outstanding' AI pre amp might be a touch noisy.

If you can have the mic at a comfortable working distance and get an average level from the DAW in the -20dB fs region without conciously straining for it AND get a low noise level, fine. If not the Cloudlifter is a solution but a capacitor microphone might be a better and 'tidier' one?

Then, neg 20 is fine for tracking but might NOT be hot enough for podding? Don't know, don't do it!

*Assuming it to be as good as my 204HD?

Dave.

That Rode dynamic has exactly the same sensitivity as the venerable SM 57 and several people, myself included, have found the UMC pre amps* are quite good enough for the Shure so in general no, you should not need the lifter.

That said "Circumstances alter cases" I have recently given some help (I hope!) to a lady on another forum who has THE sweetest voice but also VERY soft and in such a case a dynamic and even a 'good but not outstanding' AI pre amp might be a touch noisy.

If you can have the mic at a comfortable working distance and get an average level from the DAW in the -20dB fs region without conciously straining for it AND get a low noise level, fine. If not the Cloudlifter is a solution but a capacitor microphone might be a better and 'tidier' one?

Then, neg 20 is fine for tracking but might NOT be hot enough for podding? Don't know, don't do it!

*Assuming it to be as good as my 204HD?

Dave.

Great information! i will definitely give the preamp a go at first before i decide getting a lifter. Thanks for the advises.

Will update this thread once i get the mic back.

Doesn't anyone experiment nowadays? Surely if you have the mic and the preamp you plug them up and record. If you need more noise friendly preamps, you'll know in ten minutes. If you'd come and said "I just connected my Behringer interface to my new mic and the noise floor seems very high and annoying - do you think a Cloudlifter will sort it out - here's a link to what I'm getting - what do you think?" we'd listen and say, actually - that's pretty good, or wow, that's noisy, grab the Cloudlifter. You will know yourself after ten minutes.

I'm not moaning - but you asked a question that YOU can answer yourself. For what it's worth, I have an SM7B that I hate, and everyone goes on about how it's very low in output and you must use a cloudlifter - my modest Presonus and Tascam interfaces do fine!

For what it's worth, I have an SM7B that I hate, and everyone goes on about how it's very low in output and you must use a cloudlifter - my modest Presonus and Tascam interfaces do fine!

I never had a problem with 7b, or any dynamic, and Presonus Firestudio mobile.
I gave that out as advice a few times, assuming other similar interfaces would be the same, but had people coming back saying they ended up having to buy a cloudlifter for their 7b + 2i2, or whatever.
Now I have a 2i2 for convenience as well and still find no issue using 7b or other dynamics with it.

Oh course It's not going to be a great experience recording fingerpicked acoustic from across the room but for close miking anything with reasonable volume it's fine!?

idk. I think people just go 'ugh, it doesn't immediately sound super-loud and therefore is no good' where, really, what's important is the signal to noise ratio.

To actually answer the question <sorry> - I don't know the UMC202HD first hand but if you have the mic and interface already just set them up and do some test recordings.
If you find that your signal to noise ratio isn't good enough, I.E. there's audible hiss, from the equipment, in the background when you record and listen back,
then a higher-gain interface or cloud lifter will probably help.

I never had a problem with 7b, or any dynamic, and Presonus Firestudio mobile.
I gave that out as advice a few times, assuming other similar interfaces would be the same, but had people coming back saying they ended up having to buy a cloudlifter for their 7b + 2i2, or whatever.
Now I have a 2i2 for convenience as well and still find no issue using 7b or other dynamics with it.

Oh course It's not going to be a great experience recording fingerpicked acoustic from across the room but for close miking anything with reasonable volume it's fine!?

idk. I think people just go 'ugh, it doesn't immediately sound super-loud and therefore is no good' where, really, what's important is the signal to noise ratio.

To actually answer the question <sorry> - I don't know the UMC202HD first hand but if you have the mic and interface already just set them up and do some test recordings.
If you find that your signal to noise ratio isn't good enough, I.E. there's audible hiss, from the equipment, in the background when you record and listen back,
then a higher-gain interface or cloud lifter will probably help.

Sorry, it was supposed to say that i am awaiting my røde procaster. i only have the Behringer in place for now, but yea i went with the procaster anyways. :)

Will come back with words about it when i get the procaster in place.

If you do find the røde procaster needs a boost in gain, besides the CloudLifter also consider the FetHead as a more budget minded option. After much research I went with the FetHead for an SM7b and an inexpensive ribbon mic. The results with it have been more than satisfactory and I like that I can plug it directly into a mic and use one less cable in the connections. The FetHead has an input impedance of 22kohms which is much higher than typical mic preamp inputs. The high impedance tends to alter the frequency response of a dynamic mic which can tend to lend more clarity to the sound and seemingly open it up a bit. I've used it with SM57 even though not needed by my preamps and to my ears it does make the mic sound 'better'.
FetHead - TRITONAUDIO

Sorry, it was supposed to say that i am awaiting my røde procaster. i only have the Behringer in place for now, but yea i went with the procaster anyways. :)

Will come back with words about it when i get the procaster in place.

As I said, I don't pod cast so I have little idea of the relative signal levels required, I can only give you the "received wisdom" that obtains for general speech and other microphone recording tasks...

This is that the signal should average, i.e. bit above, bit below the -18dB fs mark in the software (Audacity handily has a neg 18 figure). Peaks should never exceed -6dB fs and better to keep them below -8 even -10. All this however is for signals that are NOT going out 'live' and can be increased, compressed and 'EQ'ed' to death post tracking. For podcasting it may be that -18dB will be a bit low and the temptation is to aim for 0dB fs with the attendant risk of digital overload which is very nasty.

One solution, if higher levels are needed, would be some form of limiter but that would have to be a hardware device 'going in', built into an external pre amp or, with some AIs put in an insert loop.

DAWs of course have software limiters and compressors and usually very good ones but, not being aware of how these things are 'routed' I cannot see how they could be used live?

'Scuse ill informed rambling... Actually even LESS well informed than above! A software limiter is of no use at all. The DAW cannot 'know' you have hit 0dB fs till you get there and then it is too late!

Dave.

Back