Can I have some Pointers on this Mix?

Backspacez

This is a song I made with my friend, he did the vocals and I did the production, it's a hip hop song.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers on the mixing. I've been mixing my stuff for about two years (as long as I've been making music) so I'm not that good.... can any experienced engineers give me some critique on this mix?

Thanks. Here is the link:

Haha nah, just being a smartass. The mix sounds good to me, until about halfway in where it sounds like he starts getting much further away from the mic? The vocal completely changes. It doesn't sound like there's a lot to mix, but what's there was done well. The bass is right in the middle of my brain. Musically, 3:16 of the same beat is hard to keep interesting, though I do like the quirkiness of it. As far as his voice goes, and I knew some of these guys, it sounds like it's in the white-middle-class-stoner-college-kid-who-likes-to-make-music category. Would I pay $1 for it? Probably not... but if I was still in college, I'd probably put this guy's songs on while I'm burning through homework.

Haha nah, just being a smartass. The mix sounds good to me, until about halfway in where it sounds like he starts getting much further away from the mic? The vocal completely changes. It doesn't sound like there's a lot to mix, but what's there was done well. The bass is right in the middle of my brain. Musically, 3:16 of the same beat is hard to keep interesting, though I do like the quirkiness of it. As far as his voice goes, and I knew some of these guys, it sounds like it's in the white-middle-class-stoner-college-kid-who-likes-to-make-music category. Would I pay $1 for it? Probably not... but if I was still in college, I'd probably put this guy's songs on while I'm burning through homework.

Dude. Totally nailed it on the head, haha. That's the demographic we're probably looking to nail I guess, good to know there's a lot of white stoners and a couple universities near by.

Good to sound that the mix is okay! Thanks for the comments!

Back