Can anyone recommend a UPS?

revnice1

There are a lot of power cuts where I am but the last two power supplies I bought did nothing at all. One was Koblenz and I can't remember what brand the other one was.

They both started beeping when the power went off but they didn't hold the system up - they didn't even try :)

Thanks - rev

I have 3 APC units, and they do well. Two of them have a pair of 12V 9AH batteries and they work perfectly fine. One is on my DVR box and DVD recorders, another is on my recording desktop/interface and monitor. The smaller one handles my cable modem and router. I've also had SOLA and TrippLite units that worked for many years. The SOLA eventually died, but the TrippLite is still going.

Make sure you are plugged into the battery back up plugs, not just the surge protector plugs. Some units proved both. You don't say what model you have, but all the manuals that I saw show both battery backup plugs and surge protection only plugs.

I have a floor standing CyberPower model that works fine for my recording gear and external drive enclosures and a small “desktop” one (can’t recall brand, maybe Amazon Basics) for the Mini and monitor. Both do the job. As @TalismanRich days, make sure you are plugged in to the right sockets.

I can vouch for the Tripp-Lite. I have had it for a couple years and no problems with it thus far. It has wider spacing in the back to accommodate transformers that are a little larger.

How long have the batteries lasted for you guys with a UPS? I've shopped for them a few times over the years and I keep backing off from buying one because I get the impression that not only are the batteries hit-or-miss as far as dependability in the short term, but as they age they start to behave kind of like our old cell phone batteries, where they get slower to charge, faster to discharge, and their capacity degrades.

Have you guys had issues with your UPS batteries aging poorly over the course of several years?

Talisman:

>Make sure you are plugged into the battery back up plugs

You nailed it, I wasn't plugged into the right side. It's a Koblenz and I bought it here in Mexico. I've been here 14 years and I've got used to tossing the manuals because appliances and electronics have a specialized vocabulary that's tedious to translate. Quite often the device is made here under license for the Mexican market and the US people don't know anything about it.

Thanks to everyone else who chipped in!

Glad we could help, Rivnice.

Tadpui, I find the batteries last about 2 to 3 years at best. I started writing the dates on them when I install. I was buying name brands like Duracell and Powersonic but they didn't last any longer than the no-name brands. The last sets I bought were MightyMax and Weitz from Amazon. $38 for two 9AH batteries with free delivery. I just had to replace the batteries in my APC Smart 750 today. I ordered two Weitz 12v9AH batteries on Saturday night when the unit started beeping. The Duracells that cost me $40 each at Batteries Plus didn't last any longer than the MightyMax.

I've got 5 dead batteries in the basement now that I need to drop off at the recycle center next time I go by.

Back