Can anyone recommend a desktop computer to build a home recording studio for a hobbyist?

words44

Currently I have an M-Audio Keystation 61es. I am looking for an already built desktop computer between $450 to $700.

From the little research I've done the features I would like are the following:
  • quad core with at least 3 to 4 ghz CPU speed
  • 16 gb RAM
  • SSDs are faster than HDDs. I'm not sure what size hard drives to get. I'm thinking One SSD (half-a-Terrabyte) for the OS and software and an external one (1 Terrabyte) for all the music. An external one can be used on a different computer in the future.
  • 64 bit Windows OS. At least Windows 10
  • It's got to have at least 2 USB 3.0 or C ports --please have them in Front!
  • VGA and HDMI ports--I have an old monitor I can use.
If you have any links to articles about recommended desktop computers that you think would do the job for an entry-level hobbyist. I plan on using all software synth for recording and simulating the sounds. Any help on what kind of DAW would be nice and why you like it. Thanks!

Last edited:
.... and a processor on the Windows 11 upgrade list. oh, and like words says above, plenty of USB3/C socketry, a quiet cooling system and power supply and front mounted USBs for sticks and things. Worst thing on any computer is having to delve around the back when you need to plug in or out gadgetry. One of my rack mount PCs has a front USB that remains on, when the computer is off. No idea how this happens, but it is damn useful!

I don't know the US market but I would have thought $700 was bit low for a top end music computer? Other than that the spec' looks good. I am NO computer guru! But I read a lot and I did build a tower pc some years ago...AMD Black 6core 3G Asus MOBO to suite, 6G ram and a 500G spinner plus 2 other drives for backup and storage. Internal 2496 card. That is still pretty slick.

Today I would look for a MOBO with plenty of PCIe slots and at least the capability to run TB3. I solved the 'rear access' problem with short USB 2&3 extensions, cable tied to the top of the case..OR, as of late, turn the machine thru' 90dgrs and have it side on to a wall. You can then get at front and back equally well.

Rob me lad, if you look into Power Management you will find ways to keep USB ports powered during 'sleep' mode.

Dave.

On this Windows 11 stuff. My old pc isnt regularly connected to the internet and I use that for recording and my newer pc for video. I recently updated my old pc and Windows said it is not compatible with Windows 11. Do I need it connected to the internet and will it still do the business of recording even when Windows 10 has vanished?

On this Windows 11 stuff. My old pc isnt regularly connected to the internet and I use that for recording and my newer pc for video. I recently updated my old pc and Windows said it is not compatible with Windows 11. Do I need it connected to the internet and will it still do the business of recording even when Windows 10 has vanished?
You MIGHT need an internet connection to validate/update certain hard and software, way of the world I am afraid but plenty of people here run 'air gapped' computers for music work.

W10 will NOT 'vanish!' This laptop is a W10 Lenovo but I also have an HP W7 lappy that works perfectly well on the internet despite the dire warnings at the time of the ten roll out that I was courting imminent disaster!

In any case they are not dropping support for ten for a few years and IF you have a problem by then you can upgrade then?

I would also say that Msoft are telling slight porkies as to which PCs cannot run W11. Google about it.

Dave.

I would suspect this would fit the bill. Its currently $700. 8 cores, runs DDR4-3200 RAM, 3.8gHz base frequency. The Ryzen 7 5700G tops an Intel I7-10700 by about 15% in most single and multicore tests. USB-c and USB 3.2 and USB 2.0 ports. The only thing it's lacking is the extra drive, which can be remedied for about $50 with a 2 TB spinner.

Last edited:
You MIGHT need an internet connection to validate/update certain hard and software, way of the world I am afraid but plenty of people here run 'air gapped' computers for music work.

W10 will NOT 'vanish!' This laptop is a W10 Lenovo but I also have an HP W7 lappy that works perfectly well on the internet despite the dire warnings at the time of the ten roll out that I was courting imminent disaster!

In any case they are not dropping support for ten for a few years and IF you have a problem by then you can upgrade then?

I would also say that Msoft are telling slight porkies as to which PCs cannot run W11. Google about it.

Dave.
Dave the message was that 'my processor cannot run Windows 11'. I hadnt connected it to the internet for almost 6 months and that was the warning after a Windows update. The pc was late 2014 and to be honest if it wasn't for 4k video I would still be using it for all.

Last edited:
Currently I have an M-Audio Keystation 61es. I am looking for an already built desktop computer between $450 to $700.
What I would say on this is that computer chip prices have gone through the roof of late and all pc gear has rocketed in price. But I still think you could get a pc for recording at $700 but you do need at least 2 monitors and even basic ones will do. Under $100 ones are fine for this because no extensive graphics are needed.

Last edited:
Back