can anyone recommend 24 track hard disc recorder that interacts with 1995 analog mackie board

aifrecords

i have the mackie 24.8 8 bus mixer, a guy said alesis hd24 will interact with my mackie, but a mix review of the alesis says" it doesnt allow multiple track takes" what does this really mean? you mean i cant record 8 drum tracks at the same time as the drummer bangs away one performance of a song? anyone know about the alesis hd24 and familiar with it? i like real gear real mixers and rack units so i want to bypass computers also, can anyone recommend anything to record on hard disk 24 tracks that will interact with analog mackie board? tired of my da88 tapes getting chewed up....

Why are you focusing on 20+ year old *digital* technology? You're going to be hamstrung by hardware that is not supported and cannot be fixed without buying a bunch of donors and hoping. That's my $.02. I'd say if you were obsessed with analog, Ok, go have fun finding 2" tape or whatever, but in the digital world, it's moving along so fast and getting cheaper, folks just toss the old stuff, or try to sell it on Reverb, I suppose. There are rack-mountable digital recorders up to 64-tracks that will write directly to a USB [SSD] drive or whatever, which is the storage media of the day, but you could try to find a fast enough HDD I suppose that wouldn't choke on 24-tracks at 48kHz/24-bits, maybe. Check the listings at VintageKing.com, for instance.

The hd24 matches the old mackies very well and were a decent match. It records as many tracks as you need. I think what he means is retakes, as in our modern way if working where you simply press record again, and you get a track 3, version 2 recorded. The HD24 doesnt work like this, more like a reel to reel or adat. Many people used their patchbay to set up say a vocal track across a few tracks and the. They'd just repatch to the next spare track for take 2.

HD24s were pretty solid. I had one and loaned it to a computerphobe friend. I never got it back and it didnt bother me, id moved on. Remember they also use old drive standards, IDE, and they're getting VERY old technology now. We’ve been SATA for a long time now.

Why are you focusing on 20+ year old *digital* technology? You're going to be hamstrung by hardware that is not supported and cannot be fixed without buying a bunch of donors and hoping. That's my $.02. I'd say if you were obsessed with analog, Ok, go have fun finding 2" tape or whatever, but in the digital world, it's moving along so fast and getting cheaper, folks just toss the old stuff, or try to sell it on Reverb, I suppose. There are rack-mountable digital recorders up to 64-tracks that will write directly to a USB [SSD] drive or whatever, which is the storage media of the day, but you could try to find a fast enough HDD I suppose that wouldn't choke on 24-tracks at 48kHz/24-bits, maybe. Check the listings at VintageKing.com, for instance.
All good points, but not everybody wants the latest tech. The other side of that is if you want to use older tech then there are things to tackle with obsolescence whether in trying to find replacements for wear items, or compatibility issues. For hard drives often times it is possible to convert to SSD or some other solid state media like compact flash. But how hard this is varies greatly, and even then it doesn’t work perfectly. A couple personal examples: I have a Yamaha AW4416 standalone DAW workstation. This is a scalable digital mixer/24-bit 16-track hard disk recorder. The mixing section is based on the popular 02R. I love it because the mixing section is very flexible and powerful…two option slots for add-on cards with a LOT of I/O options digital and analog, professional build quality, awesome user community support…thousands of these units are still going strong almost 25 years after coming on the market. Is it as powerful as a typical computer-based DAW? Heck no, but it’s powerful…44 inputs, comprehensive dynamics, gating and EQ on each channel, 8 aux busses, 8 mix groups, two stereo onboard effects engines, 17 motorized faders, to name the highlights…and why I like using it more than a computer-based DAW is it is all self-contained and there are never any updates…no OS obsolescence, no driver conflicts with updates, no multiple boxes to interconnect…self-contained, truly portable but heavy-duty and feature-rich and most importantly it sounds good…purpose-built for audio production. I use a computer-based DAW too, but a lot of people like the AW for the reasons I just listed. It just *works* and works well and the GUI doesn’t change…I hate software DAW version changes. Like, I often appreciate the added features and of course bug fixes and all, but I *hate* having to get used to menu changes, location of control changes, interface changes…the AW is the same every time I turn it on and one can then more easily get VERY acclimated to how to use it fully. And THAT to me is more powerful than a computer-based DAW with more bells and whistles, because, IMO, 100% of the time it’s more important not WHAT tools you have, but whether or not you know how to use them fluently. Okay. But to the issue of the storage media, yes…IDE PATA interface for the a hard drive, and only up to a certain capacity will work. And it’s getting harder and harder to find them new, and at this point I’m pretty certain they are all NOS. This stuff ages and wears to some degree just sitting on a shelf. An unused HDD that is 1 year old will last longer than an unused HDD that is 15 years old. So I switched to using CF media. And yes there was a mildly frustrating process of figuring out what adapter would work as well as what media. And CF media has a shelf life too. And once I found the adapter and media combo that worked for me (thanks entirely to user community help), I still have to accept a compromise: as track count approaches 16, if the project is a 24-bit project, the audio scrub function doesn’t work 100% as it is supposed to. You can scrub slowly forward and it sounds right, but as you scrub faster the audio plays back in regular time with gaps between to make up for the slower playback speed. And then this happens at all scrub speeds in reverse. So if you’re looking for a point in the timeline you can scrub slowly forward and hear the audio in contiguous in-time playback…as you pass the point and want to scrub back to audition again it does the gap thing and then you scrub forward slowly again…rinse and repeat. Not as convenient as designed but works. These are the kinds of things to varying degrees people need to consider if they are using old tech. I also have a couple Roland VSR-880 8-track 24-bit HDRs…why? They simply sound damn good. Sure…they only go up to 48kHz sample rate. Sure they are a bit cumbersome to navigate if you want to actually use their onboard mixing features, which I don’t, but I don’t care. They sound awesome. And they are well-built. That’s one of the main issues I have with more contemporary equipment. Except for the very high-end and boutique markets, I promise you manufacturers are NOT finding ways how they can produce products that are higher quality designs and make less money. They *always* do the opposite…they are finding ways to reduce manufacturing costs in order to make more money, and they do that through cheaper physical designs and cheaper circuit designs. And often times the marketing people get the consumer community to believe the cheaper design actually works or sounds better, and then that’s what everybody wants. And so it goes. And as technology has advanced and things can be made smaller and manufactured through automated processes, there is a cost to longevity and serviceability. So the Roland is built to last, very little of it is SMT technology, mostly through-hole PCB construction, so a guy like me can work on it…and I believe a through-hole design will last longer, and sound better than an equivalent SMT circuit. Period. Sometime last year I opened up one of my VSR-880s to take a look at the design, and I got answers to why it sounds so good…quality opamps, quality passive components, quality converters, and when I got ahold if the service manual and studied the signal path I got even more answers…the signal path includes intentional engineering/design decisions that are more expensive to build but afford better sound. This does NOT mean every 20-25 year old standalone multitrack HDR is going to sound “better”. First you have to use your ears…trust them…but then I like to verify by looking at the design. And in the case of the VSR-880 I got a lot of validating answers when I did that. And it’s easy to use if you’re using it like a tape machine. Which is what I do. So I like it. Now…just like with the Yamaha, but even worse, is the issue with the HDD. IDE PATA but only up to 12GB will work. Forget it. I have successfully converted it to work with SD flash media, and it 100% works great. But it was a pure PITA to figure it out and it was only accomplished with the vastly waning user community support for this particular device. So I agree it is way easier to just look at what is current or recent as far as products on the market, but sometimes people have peculiar priorities like me, where I don’t like how most the stuff is built today, and I can’t easily work on it, or it’s a quasi-disposable product…don’t agree with that design ideology at all…and sometimes something from back a ways actually sounds good because “they don’t make them like they used to” and the product was designed to hit a certain mark and wasn’t yet “value engineered”, so it actually sounds good and works well. And…because it’s “obsolete” you can get them for $100. Each to their own.

I'm using RADAR 24s with my TASCAM 2600-32 with no interface problems whatsoever. Their old SCSI drives can be updated to solid state if desired.

i have the mackie 24.8 8 bus mixer, a guy said alesis hd24 will interact with my mackie, but a mix review of the alesis says" it doesnt allow multiple track takes" what does this really mean? you mean i cant record 8 drum tracks at the same time as the drummer bangs away one performance of a song? anyone know about the alesis hd24 and familiar with it? i like real gear real mixers and rack units so i want to bypass computers also, can anyone recommend anything to record on hard disk 24 tracks that will interact with analog mackie board? tired of my da88 tapes getting chewed up....
Forgive me if I've misunderstood - are you saying you need a digital recorder that will record 8 tracks at once?

I record exclusively with an HD24. I have two. I use it not only as a stand alone recording platform but also as part of a "sound card" along witha MOTU 828es. No issues

It just so happens that I have an Alesis HD24 that I don't need. I believe there are solutions available for using newer drives.

The HD24 will record on all 24 inputs/tracks at once, or fewer if you just arm a subset of them.

The problem with all this ‘new and improved’ technology is that it makes older stuff obsolete. At what cost? At what benefit?
Deep Purple’s Made in Japan was recorded live onto two 4track machines, mixed and mastered on old gear, and released on vinyl. Long before even CD came out. It still to this day sounds great.

I challenge anyone with state of the art modern gear to make a record that sounds that good.

I use the JoeCo BBR to digitize multitracks for backup. It works well for that purpose, aside from the fact that it's convinced it's the year 2106. However it cannot do punch-ins or overdubbing. It's purely a live recorder.

The problem with all this ‘new and improved’ technology is that it makes older stuff obsolete. At what cost? At what benefit?
Deep Purple’s Made in Japan was recorded live onto two 4track machines, mixed and mastered on old gear, and released on vinyl. Long before even CD came out. It still to this day sounds great.

I challenge anyone with state of the art modern gear to make a record that sounds that good.
Yeah, it has nothing to do with the performance. It has everything to do with the fact that they used 2 4 track recorders.

I didn't realize that improvements in technology that obsoletes older stuff is a bad thing. Why use tape when wire recorders already existed. Why use solid state when tubes work perfectly fine, even if they are way more costly.

"At what benefit?"

Ultra low distortion
Flat frequency response
No wow and flutter
No tape hiss
No tape cost
No splicing to edit
No sticky shed issues
Minimal to no generational loss
Simple / exact backup - recovery
Less space for equipment
Less storage space for media
Lower energy usage
No constant alignment/ calibration needed
No back issues from lifting/moving 100lb tape decks
....need more?

Mark Knopfler used tape up to the time of Brothers In Arms. He decided he wanted the best sound he could get, and went with a Sony 24 channel DASH digital tape machine. It won a Grammy for Best Engineered Album and was nominated for Album of the Year. Of course it had nothing to do the performance.

Oh yeah, I don't think Made In Japan is "stellar" for sound, but it is an absolute stellar album. DP Mk2 was quite simply great! As good as Steve Morse and Tommy Bolin and Joe Lynn Turner and David Cloverdale and Glenn Hughes were, there was just something special with the Paice/Lord/Blackmore/Glover/Gillian combination. Great songs and great playing trumps everything else.

Yeah, it has nothing to do with the performance. It has everything to do with the fact that they used 2 4 track recorders.

I didn't realize that improvements in technology that obsoletes older stuff is a bad thing. Why use tape when wire recorders already existed. Why use solid state when tubes work perfectly fine, even if they are way more costly.

"At what benefit?"

Ultra low distortion
Flat frequency response
No wow and flutter
No tape hiss
No tape cost
No splicing to edit
No sticky shed issues
Minimal to no generational loss
Simple / exact backup - recovery
Less space for equipment
Less storage space for media
Lower energy usage
No constant alignment/ calibration needed
No back issues from lifting/moving 100lb tape decks
....need more?

Mark Knopfler used tape up to the time of Brothers In Arms. He decided he wanted the best sound he could get, and went with a Sony 24 channel DASH digital tape machine. It won a Grammy for Best Engineered Album and was nominated for Album of the Year. Of course it had nothing to do the performance.

Oh yeah, I don't think Made In Japan is "stellar" for sound, but it is an absolute stellar album. DP Mk2 was quite simply great! As good as Steve Morse and Tommy Bolin and Joe Lynn Turner and David Cloverdale and Glenn Hughes were, there was just something special with the Paice/Lord/Blackmore/Glover/Gillian combination. Great songs and great playing trumps everything else.
Wonderfully sarcastic response. With some good points. I love it. :D

My point is this. Skill is everything. Even with old platforms someone with skill and talent is capable of stellar results.

Today there’s too much focus on technology with too little focus on artistry. (Just a general observation)

That’s what I understood. The fallacy of the gear being the magic that makes it happen, that newer is better, etc. Sure…really bad gear can be an impediment. But a good performance and performance and writing talent will still come through. So, bad gear can be an impediment. Good gear is never *the* magic bullet.

When I was considering purchasing my Studer console I was asking the seller if he had anything he could share that was mixed through the console. He sent me an album that was tracked and mixed through the console, as well as details of how the console was specifically used. It sounded fantastic. That became the deciding factor; what pushed me to pull the trigger. Now, I didn’t think of it like “If I buy that console my mixes will sound like that!” No. I thought “If I buy that console, it won’t be an impediment to my mixes sounding like that.” I knew full well it would all still depend on the quality of the source; the performances, talent, etc, and be limited by my own skills as the recording and mix engineer. But I knew it didn’t impede the achievement of the results I heard.

Im a little confused with this topic. The HD24 was a great replacement for ADAT which was why i bought mine. The trouble was that just a short time later, i started recording audio in the computer. This meant everything i could do was in the box. Plus, upgradable over and over again. The HD24 offered nothing extra at all, above what it did very well, recording audio with reliability and quality.

The one thing they and ADAT before them struggled with is simply backup and storage. To backup you needed two, or a computer. Two was too expensive, and no backup risky, so computer for most of us, and once you have computers, you have easy storage.

Yesterday, on a newish mac, i opened a folder and discovered some twenty year old files. Cant load the cubase files of course, but the audio files are still there. Ive started putting them into current cubase format and rebuilding a few. This is why for me, the old formats are just interesting historic products. I dont want to use them, but get totally the idea others do.

Im a little confused with this topic. The HD24 was a great replacement for ADAT which was why i bought mine. The trouble was that just a short time later, i started recording audio in the computer. This meant everything i could do was in the box. Plus, upgradable over and over again. The HD24 offered nothing extra at all, above what it did very well, recording audio with reliability and quality.

The one thing they and ADAT before them struggled with is simply backup and storage. To backup you needed two, or a computer. Two was too expensive, and no backup risky, so computer for most of us, and once you have computers, you have easy storage.

Yesterday, on a newish mac, i opened a folder and discovered some twenty year old files. Cant load the cubase files of course, but the audio files are still there. Ive started putting them into current cubase format and rebuilding a few. This is why for me, the old formats are just interesting historic products. I dont want to use them, but get totally the idea others do.
For my preferred examples of yesteryear digital multitrackers, for the Yamaha AW4416 there is an extremely affordable (there is even a free version) and essentially useful application for multiple OS platforms developed by an AW owner that makes it really easy to import and export wave files, and backup and restore entire drives among many other useful features. For my Roland VSR-880s you can import and export audio files with a free Windows-based program called VS Wave.

I keep one at a friends home where we jam on weekends. What I love is they're stable. I can just turn it on and not worry about it for four hours. Then I just pull the drive and take it home to monkey with.

For my preferred examples of yesteryear digital multitrackers, for the Yamaha AW4416 there is an extremely affordable (there is even a free version) and essentially useful application for multiple OS platforms developed by an AW owner that makes it really easy to import and export wave files, and backup and restore entire drives among many other useful features. For my Roland VSR-880s you can import and export audio files with a free Windows-based program called VS Wave.
I have the baby brothers, AW16G and AW1600. The 16G was water damaged (I did manage to resurrect it) and I replaced it with the 1600. They weren't as fancy as the 4416 but like you, I liked the way they worked. It was a simple matter to pickup the AW1600, go to a buddy's house, plug in microphones and start recording. Then take it home and fill out things with more tracks. And it was WAY easier to transport and set up than my Dokorder or my buddy's 80-8.

I can still do that with an R24, but at home it's the computer the majority of the time. Everything is set up and I can operate things quickly,

Wonderfully sarcastic response. With some good points. I love it. :D

My point is this. Skill is everything. Even with old platforms someone with skill and talent is capable of stellar results.

Today there’s too much focus on technology with too little focus on artistry. (Just a general observation)
(y)

I don't think the official Alesis app works on current operating systems, but there's a third party app called HD24tools that works. The device that connects the drive caddy to a computer uses FireWire, which is a pain, but you can take drives out of the caddy and connect them with a common USB adapter.

Back