can anyone comment on these tape heads?

Beck said:

Oh really?

Sorry ace, no cigar. I was looking at brand-new in-box 22-2 heads from Tascam that I was holding in my hand, and not a picture. But if you can’t tell by the picture of the new head that I posted you wouldn't be able to tell from the real thing either.

The above photo is an accurate representation of a new 22-2 head. It’s a very good likeness as compared to the heads in my possession.

Both the record and playback heads for the 22-2 are most certainly of a gradual "soft peak" design with a relatively broad center area over the gap.

And NO, all heads do not have a sharp peak. I wouldn't even waste my time responding to such a statement if it wasn't for beginners here that would otherwise be misguided.

For the benefit of others who would actually like to become proficient in these matters and not just fudge through, there are many head designs... some resemble a half-circle, and others are manufactured with an absolutely flat "peak." In between those two extremes are many variations.

EDITED: Gratuitous flaming on my part (not that he doesn’t deserve it).

ALL heads have a specified contact area at the peak (however "flat" that seems).

ALL heads need re-lapping when that wear point becomes "out-of-shape".

Contact JRF if you REALLY NEED an explaination.

I, for one,do not.

Good Day.

Nice try at completely refocusing (unfocusing) the discussion. You're talking out of both sides of your mouth, or maybe it’s entirely out of your ass at this point.

You for one don’t have the slightest idea about these tape heads or how a tape head wears in general, as evidenced by your previous comments. It's clear to me that you couldn't tie your shoes without an explanation. I just hope the poor bastard assisting you doesn’t try to use English.

Your participation here is insulting to the membership, as you presume a level of ignorance on the part of the reader.

You would have us think you know it all, yet contribute nothing but disinformation and discord.

Why? We can only shudder at some past abuse you must have endured, but you are not wanted on this forum.

Last edited:
MCI2424 said:
ALL heads have a specified contact area at the peak (however "flat" that seems).

ALL heads need re-lapping when that wear point becomes "out-of-shape"...
Yah! :)
And, of course, all head's contact area becomes "out of shape" after the very first passage of the tape, - You just can't tell easily by looking at it. :D
oh, and, there is no need to contact anybody to confirm the above :rolleyes:

Beck said:
Nice try at completely refocusing (unfocusing) the discussion. You're talking out of both sides of your mouth, or maybe it’s entirely out of your ass at this point.

You for one don’t have the slightest idea about these tape heads or how a tape head wears in general, as evidenced by your previous comments. It's clear to me that you couldn't tie your shoes without an explanation. I just hope the poor bastard assisting you doesn’t try to use English.

Your participation here is insulting to the membership, as you presume a level of ignorance on the part of the reader.

You would have us think you know it all, yet contribute nothing but disinformation and discord.

Why? We can only shudder at some past abuse you must have endured, but you are not wanted on this forum.

You are really an angry person at heart. Abusive and probably a wife beater. Please go play with your walkmans and leave the real recording discussions to the people with knowledge and experience.

MCI2424 said:
...leave the real recording discussions to the people with knowledge and experience.

This is good news... so you agree we should not see you back here again.

Got it! I think we are finally getting somewhere.

Yeah, Baby...

MCI2424 said:
...Please go play with your walkmans and leave the real recording discussions to the people with knowledge and experience.

HAH HAH!
Yeah, baby. Leave the room, get back to your tomato garden and let the "EXPERTS" discuss the matters :D :rolleyes: :D

ROFL.
and now!, please welcome, the respected member of the Committee of Experts ....,Professor, Mr....

Attachments

• bresser.gif
    bresser.gif
    55.8 KB · Views: 96
Beck said:
This is good news... so you agree we should not see you back here again.

Got it! I think we are finally getting somewhere.

Funny, your bum-buddy A reel person said these heads looked worn. But you jump on me.

You are a reel loser.

Aw,... c'mon!! Exactly what do you think you have to prove? And to whom?

'Cause it's not working. :eek: :confused:

You can give your (para) 'if it's not 2" analog or a modern digital solution, it's not shit' attitude of yours a rest! That's as closed mided as you accuse e'one else of being.

(para)"Give it all up, 'cause you're wasting your time unless you can get a 2" deck" is not relevant advice on a home recording forum like this. Please, go hang out on PSW if the crowd on this forum is not worthy of your respect.

Your diatribes don't make anyone look bad, except yourself.

MCI2424 said:
Funny, your bum-buddy A reel person said these heads looked worn. But you jump on me.

You are a reel loser.

Hey ace, the heads obviously have some wear, but your specific comments on how wear for that particular head is discernible and how bad it is are simply wrong. And you only dug your hole deeper with each ridiculous comment.

And I don’t see ARP (Dave) making observations even remotely resembling your assessment of these heads.

However, even if/when Dave and I don’t see something eye-to-eye there is one big difference between when you post something (anything) and when Dave posts something – Dave has credibility. He is one of the few people on the forum who will give me pause to double-check my facts.

You don’t have that status. You resigned of your own volition from ever being taken seriously on this forum long ago, with your vile, mean-spirited, continuous harassment of members.

The nature of your conduct here does not fall into the category of family squabble, which happens on Internet forums. It is a relentless one-man crime wave that never ends. If you’re not big enough to repent of this unacceptable conduct and apologize, maybe the least you could do is just stop behaving like a child so that the hard feelings are not so acute. Maybe then sometime down the road, and after you’ve learned something about the area under discussion, you can contribute something.

You are not liked here because of the way you treat others… no mystery. Your insults have no effect on me or anyone else, because we know who you are and what you’re about.

Beck said:
Hey ace, the heads obviously have some wear, but your specific comments on how wear for that particular head is discernible and how bad it is are simply wrong. And you only dug your hole deeper with each ridiculous comment.

And I don’t see ARP (Dave) making observations even remotely resembling your assessment of these heads.

However, even if/when Dave and I don’t see something eye-to-eye there is one big difference between when you post something (anything) and when Dave posts something – Dave has credibility. He is one of the few people on the forum who will give me pause to double-check my facts.

You don’t have that status. You resigned of your own volition from ever being taken seriously on this forum long ago, with your vile, mean-spirited, continuous harassment of members.

The nature of your conduct here does not fall into the category of family squabble, which happens on Internet forums. It is a relentless one-man crime wave that never ends. If you’re not big enough to repent of this unacceptable conduct and apologize, maybe the least you could do is just stop behaving like a child so that the hard feelings are not so acute. Maybe then sometime down the road, and after you’ve learned something about the area under discussion, you can contribute something.

You are not liked here because of the way you treat others… no mystery. Your insults have no effect on me or anyone else, because we know who you are and what you’re about.

The nature of your conduct and a few others is what created the nature of my conduct. It is conducive to the rampant bologny I read here all the time.

MCI2424 said:
The nature of your conduct and a few others is what created the nature of my conduct. It is conducive to the rampant bologny I read here all the time.

'Lots of years and Lots of posts and posters

Would you please cite some typical examples of the bologny in question? Please be as detailed as possible in zeroing in on the bolognious wordage.

Thanks

worn_cmp1a.JPG

http://www.tangible-technology.com/tape/baking1.html (scroll down)

Eddie Cilettie's advice.

Beck said:

See Han's post above for the reason WHY you are a King Idiot.

Love you.

MCI2424 said:
See Han's post above for the reason WHY you are a King Idiot.

Love you.

I think you mean King of Idiots (one can't choose one's subjects).

It's good and natural for you to love your king.

I love you too; in the same way I feel affection for any helpless, fluffy animal begging at my table for scraps. It warms the heart.

Last edited:
Beck said:
... in the same way I feel affection for any helpless, fluffy animal begging at my table for scraps. It warms the heart.
hey, hey...
Now, SPARKEY may get pissed off. He may bite your nose. Watch it. :D

Dr ZEE said:
hey, hey...
Now, SPARKEY may get pissed off. He may bite your nose. Watch it. :D

He’s already bitten the hand.

At least I’m not still trying to reason with him (or her as it believes)… you guys have to give me credit for that. At some point I won’t reply at all. Then you will have to throw a barmitsfa for me or something. But I have not yet attained that level in my journey.

I’m still stuck here with Billy… :)

Attachments

• billyjack.jpg
    billyjack.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Back