Can’t decide on headphones

ktaylor

I am very, very new to the recording world and i need to get a pair of headphones. I have enough money to buy a nice pair but I don’t know which is more important- closed back for when I record or open back for mixing. I don’t have the money for both unless they’re both cheap with super accurate sound. I’ll be recording vocals and possibly guitar with a Blue Yeti Pro.

I’m recording to release music on streaming platforms but I really don’t know whether to get the open or closed backs (or semi-closed? I’m lost). Any recommendations?

Yes, get both but don't worry about expensive closed back headphones for tracking. I needed a bunch for a bigger session I had coming up and bought the Tascam TH-200X for super cheap. I ordered off of NewEgg but the order was fulfilled by Musician's Friend oddly enough for half of what it was on their website at the time. There are a bunch of cheap closed back headphones. The Tascam's are a bit bass heavy but fine for tracking and worked well with my headphone amp.

I use the TH-200X for tracking. If you keep your eyes open you can spot them on sale at various places for the paultry sum of $19.99/Pr ($99 Reg).

If I had to pick I would say closed back but I would then save and buy open back ASAP. I use cheap open back for tracking certain things because for me anything will do for laying down stuff like direct guitar, bass and keys. I can do everything with closed but the open are nice for hearing what's going on around me and they are really light. Lastly, get headphones that are comfortable because if they are not you will be miserable.

Besides comfort, the other thing that cheap headphones may have: noise! The cord rubs against your shirt, or you adjust the earcup while tracking, and the hard plastic makes enough noise to be picked up by the mic.

I hate to be the one that says it, but we killed another one with kindness. 8 days, no response from the OP, I don't think he's coming back. I could be wrong. Maybe they're on deadline or forgot to bookmark the URL.

Just in case...

Yes.. comfort. My budget headphones (TH-200X) are well padded, but they are "on ear" closed back and become uncomfortable after about an hour. My open back (AKG K 701) are "over ear" and light as a feather, good for much longer periods.

Hey Folk, he at least came back.. he was here yesterday, so that's a week later. Probably just read the thread without commenting.

I've got several different headphones, AKG240s, Senn HD280s, Sony 7506. None are prefect for everything, The Sony's are the brightest and as such are very revealing of harshness, the HD280s are somewhat bass heavy. The AKGs have the most pleasant and natural sound but are open air, so they aren't the best for tracking. If something doesn't sound good on the AKGs, it probably will suck on anything else.

Two that I would like to try are the Beyer DT770s and AT M50x. Unfortunately headphones are a bit like microphones. They all have a characteristic sound, but unlike microphones, you really have to listen to them yourself. You can't hear with someone else's ears.

Hey Folk, he at least came back.. he was here yesterday, so that's a week later. Probably just read the thread without commenting.

I've got several different headphones, AKG240s, Senn HD280s, Sony 7506. None are prefect for everything, The Sony's are the brightest and as such are very revealing of harshness, the HD280s are somewhat bass heavy. The AKGs have the most pleasant and natural sound but are open air, so they aren't the best for tracking. If something doesn't sound good on the AKGs, it probably will suck on anything else.

Two that I would like to try are the Beyer DT770s and AT M50x. Unfortunately headphones are a bit like microphones. They all have a characteristic sound, but unlike microphones, you really have to listen to them yourself. You can't hear with someone else's ears.
Sorry, too much of an adult to use emoji to attempt to convey humor, even in these tumultuous times.

To elaborate on my previous comments:

For tracking, I've had a Sony MDR-V900 for over 10 years, replaced the cloth covers once. Less than $25. Audio Technica ATH-M20x I got for $30 (I think), and now have a Sony MDR-7506. Comparing them all, the AT and 7506's sound is very similar to my old ears, and its similar to what I hear from my monitors (JBL 305 first gen). The old Sony headphones have a very bumped-up midrange.
All offer adequate sound blocking for live tracking, but the 2 cheap headphones have 'noisy' cords and earcups - if the cord rubs against a guitar, or shirt or arm while tracking, there is an audible noise that can be picked up by the mic, if the proximity is close. The 7506's cable, on the other hand, has a more 'rubber' soft-feeling cable which does nto create as much noise.

There was never a specific budget amount listed, 'cheap' is all relative to one's financial situation.

AKG 240 have been a studio standard for ages. They're flat in response, and great for tracking.
They won't flatter your sounds, nor should they.

C.

AKG 240 have been a studio standard for ages. They're flat in response, and great for tracking.
They won't flatter your sounds, nor should they.

C.
I have AKG K240 closed cans, I agree Cosmic, the FR is very flat but I find them very nice to work with. It just gives a very natural feedback of the mix and I swear by them. Great headphones that did not break the bank.

Back