Cadillac Express with easlern and ibleedburgundy

Thanks Beagle. I'll be pulling the kick drum down slightly on the next mix. That might let the bass transients be heard a bit more. There is no compression ITB on the bass--ever in my mixes, actually. I do use an outboard compressor in the input chain but take care not to squash the attack. So I think what you are hearing might be down the kick drum overshadowing the bass attack. Lyrics? Puzzle of Existence, that sort of thing.

Nick, the boxiness everyone is hearing could be a compression issue, although I think I can still mitigate it a bit more through EQ. I'm also doing a fair amount of compression ITB, so don't assume the problem is on your end. I'm going to take another look at my compression settings. I'll pull all my compressors off and give the vocal a good listen, then add them back carefully. But just in case, here are some things to try on the next song. Tweak the balance between input and output gain on the channel strip so you're not driving the preamp too hard, and check to make sure your compressor isn't working too hard either. 2-3dB gain reduction is fine. What I'm finding is that vocal compression sounds most natural when you build it up in stages, with each stage adding a little more reduction. You've got one stage of compression on the input, and I have two more ITB. We don't want any one of those compressors getting slammed.

When the song opens for some reason the bass sounds like it's in the right speaker. Then it centers. Then it sounds right again. This is some kind of illusion and you're not actually panning it?

Maybe the guitar's low is pulling it that way. Maybe EQ the right guitar higher up?

The bass, in general, sounds too up front to me. It sounds closer than the vocalist. I'd raise the vocal or lower the bass (or a little of each).

Back