By the way...a little about yourself

LRosario

I know this is not the typical post.

I was curious to learn names and a little something about your interests in audio. Anything you care to share...perhaps something thats happened in recent months worth mentioning? (related to audio of course) :cool:

I'm Lee, I'm 28 and I have been into the audio world ever since I can remember....

I figured I liked it enough to make it a carreer. Doing more of a consulting/mixing thing in florida for now. Alot of travel involved. Whatever location they need me, I'm there, etc.

Something worth mentioning:

We had a new intern plug in a 5 grand ribbon mic into a phantom power unit the other day... (some of you might know what I'm talking about) :D

I'm sure that wasn't the best day of his life, but we did manage to cheer up the poor bastard. :D

i haven't seen my girlfriend in a while.
i think i will masturbate.
maybe i'll record the audio.

i'm in florida too.

hi lee.

I just recruited the drummer from my college days to move 1000 miles to Chicago. He's living with me and we're recording an album together.

XerXes said:
i haven't seen my girlfriend in a while.
i think i will masturbate.
maybe i'll record the audio.

i'm in florida too.

You haven't seen your girlfriend because she's up here in PA with the band I'm recording.

I'll let her know that you've been looking for her :D

My name is Warren. My mixes are sub-par, but I'm working on it. I won't even bother mastering my own stuff and will leave that to someone who knows better.

I've been writing and recording since I was 16 (which now has been about 17 years). Started on a Yamaha 4-track cassette (MT-100) and used a boom box with detachable speakers for monitoring. Had a couple old Shure mics (don't even remember the model) and a STEREO Radio Shack mic. Did I mention my 1970's Pioneer 3-head cassette deck that I mixed down to? Or the Realistic (Radio Shack) 10 band EQ I used?

Also was really into midi (still am). Used a Yamaha QX21 sequencer, a Yamaha RX-21 drum machine and a DX7. I absolutely loved sequencing with a 2-track sequencer. Bouncing one track after another was a blast. :D Being an avid lover of 80's music, I also produced (if you want to call it that) my music with the infamous "80's" style: heavy on the reverb for vox, drums, and basically the entire mix. My first verb unit was a glorious Alesis Microverb.

I'm still at it - only my gear is a little better and I never shop at Radio Shack anymore ;)

Pet Peeves: the incessant spamming of Powertracks Pro software on these boards.

I make records and stuff! No time for much else except for a bit of teaching some recording workshops. Started playing in punk bands in washington DC in the early 80s, made a lot of noise playing what later became known as alternative and touring til the late 80s and then started making records. Been lucky enough to work with some pretty cool musicians in various corners of the globe. I get to work with some pretty succesful artists, but more the guys that get on the cover of guitar player than the cover of rolling stone. I Live in LA these days when I get to be at home.

I have worked in some of the fanciest studios in the world but this month I am in a Villa in North Italy recording an album on a 1/2 inch 8 track with 4 mics! all analog. no computers, digital recorders or digital effects of any sort. Its sounding like Pink Floyd's Piper at the gates of dawn with more low end. i could not be happier....maybe its just the Italian wine?!?!?!

I'm Ryan. I learned how to mic a drum kit when I was 12 and things just kept developing since then. I'm 24 now and spend my days working with music on a few different levels, but mostly in the studio. I don't put too much emphasis on gear or the rest of the tech talk and I spend most of my time working with home recordings. I read these boards daily.

Ronan said:
I make records and stuff! No time for much else except for a bit of teaching some recording workshops. Started playing in punk bands in washington DC in the early 80s,

Sweet! I did not know that. Were you on any of the Dischord releases?

Ummm, me. I started on a POS borrowed 4-track in 1989. Got a Portastudio in 1997; still have it actually, I haven't finished archiving all the old tapes to PC yet. Got my first PC setup in 2000, it's still largely intact; built my room the same year. Trying to go semi-pro this fall with a mobile HDR system.

Ronan said:
Started playing in punk bands in washington DC in the early 80s
Which bands? We may have crossed paths before. I used to play guitar for a band called Madhouse (which later became Strange Boutique).

MadAudio said:
Which bands? We may have crossed paths before. I used to play guitar for a band called Madhouse (which later became Strange Boutique).
Madhouse?!?! You guys were great! I loved your band. I actually booked you guys once at the Lee Center in Arlington. It was my great coup. I was putting on punk shows at a community center, but I was able to make them "teen dances" and have the county pay the bands for me. The government funding punk! It was great until some jackass skin heads trashed the bathrooms when I booked Iron Cross.

My DC pedagree is not as exciting as it might be. You can see me stage diving in the Minor threat home video and see me in a pic on the inside of the Faith/Void album (greatest DC album of all time!!!) My band of note was a yappy little punk band called Freak Baby. we were awful but in a avant garde sort of way so I am proud of it. the funny thing is that Freak baby actually appears as a foot note in rock history because after I quit the band and took the guitarist to start another band. Dave Grohl joined Freak Baby as the guitar replacement. His First band, and he was insanely talented at 14. I went off and started a band called the last laugh. People thought we were too whimpy and emotional, but then Rites of Spring hit and bands like the last laugh were cool (after we broke up, so much for timing.)

who are you who who, wh-who

hey there

really nice idea for a post

i am british and therefore, of course, far too meek to bother anyone with talking about myself.

however......

started recording: the first time i realised my ghetto blaster at 13 had a mike input and i could bounce from one cassette deck to the other whilst playing into it - i was hooked good and solid!

only listened to brian may when people had been telling me for over five years that my harmony multi-tracked guitars sounded like him.

got into ebows, guitar synths, bizarre effects, just got into adrenalinn beat sync stuff (just buy one!) - anything to make guitar sound like something else.

first studio: ten years ago when thought i'd like to spend what i'd spent on recording my first album in a studio, on setting up a small studio of my own where there was no red light and a cheque out of my account at the end of each day! roland vs 880!

have tried to learn everything i could - and listen really carefully to every artist that came through the studio doors - became diplomat, human resources manager, fantastic at making tea, personal shopper, counsellor, electrician, interior designer, carpenter, computer repair engineer, guitar coach, session player, engineer, producer - and then on the second day...

a year ago i took the plunge and went full-time having spent 12 years in the medical industry financing this bottomless financial pit called tollboothmusic.

and i'm loving it. i love that each CD we release sounds a bit better than the last. that it sounds nothing like the last. and it won't be the last.

i love what i'm doing, but i love what i'm learning. and i love that i'm sat here on my sofa in a small northern english ex-mining town with the wind and rain whipping at the outside of the studio - and chatting to a lot of folk who live in places with the sort of weather you get on postcards from rich relatives.

and i love that you're all out there!

as a beloved and trusted friend much longer in the industry than me said when i told him i was going full-time...

"you're mad - i can't think of a worse way to make a living - but then - i can't think of a more enjoyable one either!"

seeya guys

paul d

Last edited:
Hi.

My name is Dave. I'm 43 and I've been into music & recording for about 28 years. Since you were born, eh?

Note for the guy above, 1997 was not that long ago, and '97 gear is not "old". The oldest Tascam Portastudio I have is from 1982 (244), and the second-newest Portastudio I have is from 1997 (424mkII), with the ultimately newest Portastudio I have being from 2001 (424mkIII).

I have a mega-huge, over-the-top collection of recording gear, that would boggle the mind of the average bystander. I won't go into detail, but you may find my other posts and pics of my studio elsewhere on this site.

I'm a mainly-Tascam, mainly-analog recording enthusiast, but I have a fair number of Fostexes and "token" digital units, too.

I have a nice, sizeable load of music gear, too,... being guitars, basses, keyboards, drums, percussion, accessories, etc. That's probably subject of another post, for another day.

Despite being in the music/recording game practically since you were born, I'm not an accomplished pro engineer or trained musician. I'm still an amatuer home recording hack musician, although I'm fairly successful within this narrow definition, and my recordings sound pretty darn good, for the most part,... if I do say so myself. (As with anything, YMMV).

Some people call me "Davemania", which was a title I coined for a cd project I did a few years ago, which at least a few people liked a lot. (Hint: It was an all-too-obvious spoof of Beatlemania). Find a sample of it, and what I do at:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/davemania/singles

Have fun, & come again!

What was the question? :eek:

im dustin and im 17. i just started doing real recording last year on PA9, and b4 that, Magix hip hop music maker. i know, i know, but it sparked my interest. i have a PC and i can even play 8 tracks. that is so my claim to fame.

A Reel Person said:
Note for the guy above, 1997 was not that long ago, and '97 gear is not "old". The oldest Tascam Portastudio I have is from 1982 (244), and the second-newest Portastudio I have is from 1997 (424mkII), with the ultimately newest Portastudio I have being from 2001 (424mkIII).

I didn't say the Porta was old, I said my tapes were old. They go back to 1989 so they're a bit older than the Tascam, which I also said I still have, and I even used as recently as last year. However I just bought an HDR, so I don't except to use the Tascam except for archival purposes anymore.

But feel free to enjoy yours, they are nice machines, much better than whatever POS 4-track I used in 1989. That thing inserted audible pops with every punch-in.

PS You have only been recording since I was 5 :p

Too lazy today to type all of this in, so I copied and pasted from my bio. In fact I'm usually too lazy to even type a bio ...

Biography:

Tom Volpicelli has been a major contributor to the Philadelphia recording community for over a decade. His credits include mixing and/or mastering live performances for such legendary artists as The Who, Iggy Pop, Kansas, Jerry Lee Lewis, Pat Benatar as well as work for many national and regional artists. As an engineer for the nationally syndicated radio show “The King Biscuit Flower Hour”, he has helped produce over 100 shows for a veritable “who’s who” of rock artists, including The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, U2, Fleetwood Mac.

Selected Discography:

King Biscuit:

April Wine, Credits: Mastering
Bachman Turner Overdrive, Credits: Mixing
Benatar, Pat - Greatest Hits Live, Credits: Mixing and Mastering
Best Of The Best: 25 Years Of Rock
(includes The Kinks, The Who, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and many others), Credits: Mixing
Black Oak Arkansas, Credits: Mixing
Butcher, Jon, Credits: Mastering
Edmunds, Dave (Live), Credits: Mixing and Mastering
Emerson Lake and Palmer - Greatest Hits Live, Credits: Mixing
Foghat, Credits: Mixing and Mastering
Gentle Giant, Credits: Mixing
Girlschool, Credits: Mixing
Kansas, Credits: Mixing
Mountain: Greatest Hits Live, Credits: Mixing and Mastering
Pop, Iggy - Live in NYC, Credits: Mixing and Mastering
Streets, Credits: Mixing
The Alarm, Mastering
Zebra, Credits: Mastering

Silver Eagle:

Corbin-Hanner Band, Credits: Mixing
Gosdin, Vern, Credits: Mixing
Lewis, Jerry Lee, Credits: Mixing
Miller, Roger, Credits: Mixing
Monroe, Bill - Live In Concert, Credits: Mastering

Oxygen Records:

Anthrophobia – Framework, Credits: Engineer
Anthrophobia – Pulse, Credits: Engineer
Love American Style - Undo, Credits: Engineer, Production

Independent Releases:

Cloud Party – Everything and Nothing, Credits: Mixing and Mastering
Goodnight Gracie – Simple, Credits: Mixing and Mastering
Love Huskies – Semi-Gloss, Credits: Engineer
Tidewater Grain - Tommorrow the World, Today the Rent, Credits: Mixing and Mastering
Liquid Gang – Nineteenth Soul, Credits: Mixing and Mastering

Dude!

Wow!

King Biscuit, Best Of? Wow!

Iggy Pop Live in NYC!!!!! Damn, dude, about a year ago I commented on these boards that that's one of the best recorded live albums I've ever heard!!!

Wow!!!

A Reel Person said:
Wow!

King Biscuit, Best Of? Wow!

Iggy Pop Live in NYC!!!!! Damn, dude, about a year ago I commented on these boards that that's one of the best recorded live albums I've ever heard!!!

Wow!!!

Thanks man!

I have to admit though, my 2 favs are The Who's Live at Leeds and Allman Bros band live at the Filmore. I was at Angel Mountain when they remixed ABB for surround. Sounds even better than the original IMHO.

Nice bio masteringhouse - I'm bowing as we speak :)
Was that you that pushed Lonesome Dave's vocals into oblivion on that Foghat record or did the recording engineer do that (is that the one with Wanna Make Love to You?) :D

OK back on track here...
Me - I'm a devout home recording hobbiest whatever you wanna call it (watch it, hehe :mad: ) starting out on 2 track sound-on-sound consumer decks during the Viet Nam era and ending up on 8-track Fostex tape decks. Recorded myself and my own bands as well as live bands I liked in clubs while they performed - made fairly good demo tapes. Then went to digital with a Roland VS1880 as well as a fully stocked consumer DAW. Garage is my life and sound - it can sound pretty good too these days! :cool:

Back