Buying new computer

trevrev97

I am buying a new copmuter and need advice, i have a firepod And i will runn cubase LE for now, I don't do crazy midi stuff pretty much just straight up recording and editing. LEt me know if this will cut it.
Dimension E510 Qty 1
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 630 w/HT Technology (3.0GHz,800FSB), Genuine Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition Unit Price $1,419.00
Dell Home Customers: Save $490 off this Dell Dimension E510!
Limited Time Offer!
- $490.00

Catalog Number: 29
Module Description Product Code
(hide) Sku
(hide) Id
(hide)
Dell Dimension E510 Series Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 630 w/HT Technology (3.0GHz,800FSB) CZ630H [221-9861] 1
Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition WMCE [463-2282][412-0688][412-0721][420-4927][420-5460][420-5476][420-5646][420-5769] 11
Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x512M) 1GB5 [311-5519] 3
Keyboard Dell USB Keyboard EK [310-5324] 4
Monitor 19 inch Ultrasharp™ 1907FP Digital Flat Panel 1907FP [320-4635] 5
Video Card 256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory X600SE [320-4382] 6
Hard Drive 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™ 160S [341-0884] 8
Floppy Drive 13 in 1 Media Card Reader MCR13 [341-2773] 10
Mouse Dell® 2-button USB mouse SM [310-6264] 12
Network Card Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet IN [430-0412] 13
Modem 56K PCI Data Fax Modem DFAX [313-2279] 14
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0 AAREAD [412-0705] 15
CD or DVD Drive Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capability DV16DVR [313-3728][420-5079] 16
Sound Integrated Audio with Dolby Digital 7.1 capability IS [313-2758] 17
Speakers No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system) N [313-2198] 18
Office Software (not included in Windows XP) No Productivity Suite - Corel WordPerfect® word processor only COREL [412-0803] 22
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) No Security Subscription NS2 [412-0850] 25
Hardware Warranty 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr At-Home Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support S111OS [950-3337][950-9797][960-6200][960-6380][983-2207] 29
Dial - Up Internet Access 6 Months of America Online Membership Included AOLDHS [412-0687][412-0787][420-3224][420-5256] 37
Miscellaneous Award Winning Service and Support D51RF1 [464-2647] 82
Operating System Backup & Recovery Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition backup CD MCEMED [310-7143] 135
Dell Digital Entertainment Starter Entertainment Pack -Basic digital Music, Photo, and Casual Gaming SEP [412-0856][412-0865] 399

TOTAL:$929.00
Thanks in advance. Or if some one wants to build me a better comp for less let me know

The price is ok for what you're getting, which includes some stuff you don't need for recording. I am assuming thise will be a dedicated recording rig.

If you can operate a manual can opener without a trip to the emergency room, you can build a computer. You will save a bunch of money on software bundles that are useless to you, you can use your current OS (if you have a computer), and you will start off with the specs you want. On the downside, no customer support, so if you don't know computers, and you don't have a friend who does, if something goes haywire, you'll be paying for service.

ermghoti said:
The price is ok for what you're getting, which includes some stuff you don't need for recording. I am assuming thise will be a dedicated recording rig.

If you can operate a manual can opener without a trip to the emergency room, you can build a computer. You will save a bunch of money on software bundles that are useless to you, you can use your current OS (if you have a computer), and you will start off with the specs you want. On the downside, no customer support, so if you don't know computers, and you don't have a friend who does, if something goes haywire, you'll be paying for service.

yes i also support this. its not too hard building a PC at all. FYI, dell ships computers with LOADS of stupid software. i set one up for my cousin and it must have came with 9 anti virus programs, 16 word processors and so much useless crap. if you are using it for recording only (highly recommended!) you should take everything off of it. another tip with PC recording computers: try to avoid EVER connecting to ANY internet source with it. the moment you open a web page, your fresh computer will be half of what it was.

as an alternative, there is Apple. Join me and others, who have recently made the switch. it's not as difficult as everyone thinks. I Love my mac, and i have yet to have any problems, even while running pro tools. then, you can also use it for internet needs because the chances of getting a virus are slim. A brand new Imac G5 or even Intel Duo goes for $1299.

either way, your choice. if you like PC, dont forget to check out the competition. IBM makes some really good machines, with a little less crap.

have fun!

this will be a recording only comp, with some book keeping done on it, I would love to build a comp, i am sure i could but i am clueless on what to order and what is compatible with what, I would do it if some one made a list or would help me get the parts together. Thanks

tomshardware.com, + anandtech.com = computer guru :D

There are tutorials for everything. Go to tweakheadz.com for the combos you want. You can print out the directions for assembling your machine, and installing the OS. The compatibilities are not a big deal, the processor will specify a socket type, the motherboards are classified by the socket, the RAM compatibilities are pretty transparent, just match the numbers. Other than RAM, if it's truly not compatible, it won't fit together without violence. Everything snaps together, put in your OS disc, turn it on, and follow the instructions.

You can bulid a monster rig for the money you want to spend.

Mac !!!

Well I just bought a MAC G4, Dual 1.75 prossesors, 1.5 gig Ram, 200 gig HDD, dual Super drives, 17" Studio LCD display. I hope this will work thanks

MAC man

Nice switch to MAC. Don't get me wrong, people should use what they feel comfortable and confident with. Some like Windows and some like Tiger. I switched to MAC a year ago my self. I like how the initial build out of the box is free of all the advertising. I would build a Windows box now days because I think they come loaded with spi-ware :D

I am about to purchase a 2.3 Dual G5 Power MAC with 2GB ram for my home recording. I hope the MAC works for you. I want to wait and see the bugs worked out of the new Intel platform before spending the money plus the software available is slim unless you buy Apple.

I have been using the Dell E510 (3GHz processor, 1gig Ram,160 Gig Hard Drive, windows XP Media Center Edition) for about 3 months now, I have a SB Audigy 2Zs sound card in it. (I use cubase LE from time to time) but mostly I use tracktion 2. Also I use a Presonus firebox as my interface. No problems, plenty of processing power. ;)

flamin-gitaur said:
I have been using the Dell E510 (3GHz processor, 1gig Ram,160 Gig Hard Drive, windows XP Media Center Edition) for about 3 months now, I have a SB Audigy 2Zs sound card in it. (I use cubase LE from time to time) but mostly I use tracktion 2. Also I use a Presonus firebox as my interface. No problems, plenty of processing power. ;)
I'm trying to find out why Presonus warns against using xpmedia because of having so many problems with that OS.

Did you need to make some adjustments in your XPmedia to let it play friendly with the Firebox? That is my rig in question. Glad to hear it's working good for you.

what about starting with a barebones system? I'm thinking about building a new computer, but I can use the NIC card, and the soundcard from my current PC. The whole task of piecing EVERYTHING together seems a bit too daunting...

I would recommend building/buying a dual core Intel machine.
They're faster than anything else on the planet, and raw horsepower is required in a daw when you start ramping up the number of tracks & plugs in your project. They also use less power, so they run cooler than regular P4s so the fans don't need to spin so fast so they're alot quieter, again an important consideration for a daw.
I'd also suggest steering clear of Media centre and go XP

TelePaul said:
Hey I had a question about dells...wheres the firewire port in all of this, eh?
Anyone know?
Your question is very opened ended, it's even vague. Which Dell are you talking about, is it a laptop or a desktop or a tablet PC or what? If it doesn't have firewire ports, then you could install a firewire card. They make firewire cards for laptops too.

For those interface devices that come optionally with their own power supply, some report that their firewire interface works better with it's own separate power source instead of drawing off the sometimes feable power supplied by the firewire connection. You can defeat a PC's 6 pin power by adapting it down to 4 pins, then adapting that back into 6 pins to plug into your interface device. They sell at least one such adapter at Radio Shack for 10 bucks, online purchase only.

I don't know about other interface makers, but the thing that Presonus says is to stick with firewire that is controlled by a Texas Instruments chip.

Before making a major purchase, you should do a reasonable check with the hardware and software for their requirements and compatibility issues. Also, being a bit more specific in your questions may prove helpful. ;)

Hi_Flyer said:
what about starting with a barebones system? I'm thinking about building a new computer, but I can use the NIC card, and the soundcard from my current PC. The whole task of piecing EVERYTHING together seems a bit too daunting...

Barebones system? Case, Power Supply, Motherboard.... If your just doing something very basic, that's fine, but for me, my PS needs to be high powered, the motherboard needs to be something else other than say a ECS motherboard or some shitty PC Chips motherboard.... IF you were to get a realitivly new barebones system, you will STILL have to buy the processor (usually), Which would mean in this day and age, you will need to take the motherboard out, install the brackets, and then reinsert the motherboard. Then your still doing the same amount of work (if not more), than just going out and buying a case that has PS included, and a better motherboard. It's pretty easy to put a computer together IMO.

Mostly somewhat common sense. System needs power, so a power supply is there. How would you give stuff power? Connect them to the device. Which way & where do they go? They only fit in 1 way or no way (motherboard, hard drives, optical drives, fan controllers, lights, fans, whatever you want to power). How to install a heatsink/fan, well follow the instructions for the brackets, and then the heatsink/fan sits down on top of the processor of course and clip into the notches. Memory... Easiest IMO... they also are fool proof.. Memory only can go into 1 way, or they won't snap into place... So does PCI, PCIE, PCI X, AGP 4x/8x, etc... HD's, sit in the bay, and are needed to connect to the system itself right? get a IDE/sata cable, connect it to the back of the HD (if on IDE, the little red line or whatever color single strand ALWAYS goes right next to the power connector). Cables are usually like this right?? I--------I---I The 2 connectors that are close together, connect to devices, the one that's at the end, connects to the motherboard's main IDE slot (which also in new cables/systems, can only go 1 way). Do the same to Optical drives on a seperate cable to the other IDE connection on the motherboard. (making sure that if your having just 1 HD, and 1 CDROM, each on seperate IDE cables, you can just set them as Master).

1Way said:
Your question is very opened ended, it's even vague. Which Dell are you talking about, is it a laptop or a desktop or a tablet PC or what? If it doesn't have firewire ports, then you could install a firewire card. They make firewire cards for laptops too.

For those interface devices that come optionally with their own power supply, some report that their firewire interface works better with it's own separate power source instead of drawing off the sometimes feable power supplied by the firewire connection. You can defeat a PC's 6 pin power by adapting it down to 4 pins, then adapting that back into 6 pins to plug into your interface device. They sell at least one such adapter at Radio Shack for 10 bucks, online purchase only.

I don't know about other interface makers, but the thing that Presonus says is to stick with firewire that is controlled by a Texas Instruments chip.

Before making a major purchase, you should do a reasonable check with the hardware and software for their requirements and compatibility issues. Also, being a bit more specific in your questions may prove helpful. ;)

Wheres the firewire card/port in this guys example? He lists the spec on the dell he wants to buy, and say he wants to use a firepod; so wheres the card? i wa son the dell website too but I couldn't find one when I was putting together components in the 'customize' section

TelePaul said:
Wheres the firewire card/port in this guys example? He lists the spec on the dell he wants to buy, and say he wants to use a firepod; so wheres the card? i wa son the dell website too but I couldn't find one when I was putting together components in the 'customize' section
I answered this question in the thread you started a few days ago. Assuming you are getting a desktop, you would get a 1394 card. It is the last item in the customize section.

sync said:
I answered this question in the thread you started a few days ago. Assuming you are getting a desktop, you would get a 1394 card. It is the last item in the customize section.

Retarded as it is, I cant find it! Any chance of a link?

Last edited:
Mindset said:
Barebones system? Case, Power Supply, Motherboard.... If your just doing something very basic, that's fine, but for me, my PS needs to be high powered, the motherboard needs to be something else other than say a ECS motherboard or some shitty PC Chips motherboard.... IF you were to get a realitivly new barebones system, you will STILL have to buy the processor (usually), Which would mean in this day and age, you will need to take the motherboard out, install the brackets, and then reinsert the motherboard. Then your still doing the same amount of work (if not more), than just going out and buying a case that has PS included, and a better motherboard. It's pretty easy to put a computer together IMO.

Mostly somewhat common sense. System needs power, so a power supply is there. How would you give stuff power? Connect them to the device. Which way & where do they go? They only fit in 1 way or no way (motherboard, hard drives, optical drives, fan controllers, lights, fans, whatever you want to power). How to install a heatsink/fan, well follow the instructions for the brackets, and then the heatsink/fan sits down on top of the processor of course and clip into the notches. Memory... Easiest IMO... they also are fool proof.. Memory only can go into 1 way, or they won't snap into place... So does PCI, PCIE, PCI X, AGP 4x/8x, etc... HD's, sit in the bay, and are needed to connect to the system itself right? get a IDE/sata cable, connect it to the back of the HD (if on IDE, the little red line or whatever color single strand ALWAYS goes right next to the power connector). Cables are usually like this right?? I--------I---I The 2 connectors that are close together, connect to devices, the one that's at the end, connects to the motherboard's main IDE slot (which also in new cables/systems, can only go 1 way). Do the same to Optical drives on a seperate cable to the other IDE connection on the motherboard. (making sure that if your having just 1 HD, and 1 CDROM, each on seperate IDE cables, you can just set them as Master).

hmm... sounds easy enough. I don't think i would have too much trouble actually putting the pieces together as I have installed additional RAM sticks, internal hard drives, DVD burners, etc... I guess I'm sort of intimidated by trying to figure out the compatibility of the different components, ie different chipsets and all that. maybe I should start doing the research and take the plunge!

Back