Buying desktop giving up laptop-transfer question

How can I transfer everything from my dell e6410 laptop to a dell 9010 desktop? I have it on order and am on tight budget so even if it takes all day or the old fashioned way I would like to know of several ways(excluding external drives or removing laptop hard drive)..Both have wifi. I want to move, copy or transfer programs, data, files, everything.

Last edited:
If you have a router you can create a home network and transfer everything that way. It will take a long time(depending on the size)and the best way to do it is annoyingly enough, a bit at a time. It is actually easiest to use a software with external drive solution but if you cant, wi fi can work. There are a lot of threads to different places for various programs on your hard drive though, so don't get rid of or wipe the lappie just in case you find you need "x" from some hidden or unlikely spot to get something to work.

You can’t usually transfer programs in Windows via file system copies. I just wouldn’t bother - you’ll end up with a mess.

Copy your data files and reinstall the software. These days a lot of folks would use cloud storage like Dropbox but it could be slow if you have a lot of data. It’s likely to be faster using external drives or configuring shares in your local network. I’d go to YouTube for answers/ideas/opinions. These are not Home Recording questions, honestly.

AFAIK all PCs have an Ethernet port. You used to need a "crossed" RJ45 cable to link two PCs but I think most will do it with a stock cable. A 2mtr patch cable is peanuts.

If you want more on computer help even with only a very loose recording affiliation go to the forum <www.soundonsound.com>

Dave.

Oh, yeah, there are cables that let you transfer - forgot about that. It will depend on whether both computers have compatible ports, of course.

Google "windows 10 transfer cable" is how to find a couple, along with relevant software.

They will not transfer programs.

Edit: I tried to insert a link but kept getting a Privacy Error - there's something wrong with HR's certificate: NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

A new computer is always a good opportunity to clear things out and start again with only the software that you really use.

AFAIK all PCs have an Ethernet port. You used to need a "crossed" RJ45 cable to link two PCs but I think most will do it with a stock cable. A 2mtr patch cable is peanuts.

If you want more on computer help even with only a very loose recording affiliation go to the forum <www.soundonsound.com>

Dave.

I have an Ethernet cable..

Robert! Did not realize you were getting W10. If the PC needs setting up from scratch I strongly advise you NOT to go for a Microsoft internet account, instead get a "local" account. "They" will recommend an Ms account but I did this and for a variety of reasons still have a non working W10 pc (it has W7 on it while I sort out a solution) A very knowledgeable chap at sos forum (Scan PCs ) said he NEVER does this.

I am pretty sure an Ethernet port is an Ethernet port no matter what PC (or mac!) you find it on and files can always be transferred. But yes, not programs.

Dave.

Dave.

You can’t usually transfer programs in Windows via file system copies. I just wouldn’t bother - you’ll end up with a mess.

Copy your data files and reinstall the software. These days a lot of folks would use cloud storage like Dropbox but it could be slow if you have a lot of data. It’s likely to be faster using external drives or configuring shares in your local network. I’d go to YouTube for answers/ideas/opinions. These are not Home Recording questions, honestly.
I thought this was a newbie forum...I have quite a few music sound production daws...don't know exactly how many gb they use...but they have plugins and effects and other folders that the use so I was thinking about putting the sound production daws on my 256 ssd on my new computer to make them run better along with all the plugins effects and files (presets-projects) along with them. But I don't know how they did this way back when. I mean there must have been a basic way to transfer programs like daws and files.

The easiest way is just to use an external HDD or SSD. Transfer stuff from old computer to the drive, then from the drive to the new computer. Any particular reason you don't want to use an external drive for this purpose?

For applications, you'll have to reinstall them on the new machine. You can move your plugins (mostly), recorded files, and maybe even sample libraries. But applications will require a reinstall since they spray files all over the computer during the installation process. If you miss even one registry key, registered class, app data file, etc. the app won't function.

I didn't move my recording stuff, but every otehr file got moved from old to new using a 1TB USB drive (largest I have). Slow, but sure.

External storage has never been cheaper than now. You can get 1TB of storage for less than $50. And once your transfer is finished, you'll have a viable backup drive.

What are you backing up to now?

Money is the reason...70 years old(means plenty of time) plenty of time to transfer manually.

Ok but, I have to agree with the others that an external USB 3 drive (or more usefully a USB 3 caddie into which you can plug various drives) is a very good idea.

I would still try the RJ45 patch cable. Ok, you have time (I am 73 but never seem to have THAT much time!) but copying to an external drive means doing the job twice. The main benefit of a USB drive however is that you can make an "Image" of the laptop drive (and the DT). This means should *it'appen you stand a very good chance of getting the machines up and running again.

"Macrium Reflect Free" is a good imaging program.

Just had a quick varder and you can get a USB 3.0 docking station (2.3&3.5 drives) from 'Zon for £20 and a 1TB 7200 spinner for well under 40 quid and 2 TB for just over £50.

Dave.

The easiest way is just to use an external HDD or SSD. Transfer stuff from old computer to the drive, then from the drive to the new computer. Any particular reason you don't want to use an external drive for this purpose?

For applications, you'll have to reinstall them on the new machine. You can move your plugins (mostly), recorded files, and maybe even sample libraries. But applications will require a reinstall since they spray files all over the computer during the installation process. If you miss even one registry key, registered class, app data file, etc. the app won't function.
I am having trouble copying after sharing from my old laptop to new desktop..both machines are dell but when I try to copy the files after sharing them it asks for special network administrator permission...any ideas on how to share then copy?

Last edited:
Sometimes each file needs to be individually right clicked and in the contextual drop down, click on share with-"everybody". Part of the reason I warned that it will take a long time. As for copying programs, as has been stated it's almost impossible to copy the program due to the plethora of files they create however you can copy the installer for each of your programs then install them from the new disc on the new computer. Installers usually come compressed so it's faster to transfer them that way.

When I did this between Windows 10 Enterprise laptops, I had to format the drive as FAT instead of NTFS. That apparently caused it lose that ownership information while in transit.

I haven't had that issue with Win 10 Pro at home. But as Gtoboy mentioned, you can right click a file (or a folder, or select all files/folders) and give full access permission to Everyone.

Let us know how it goes.

Programs most likely will not be transferred and installed to a new OS. In fact I am not sure it is even possible.

I would make sure you have a list of licenses for your programs before transfer. Most licenses are dependent/tagged to the motherboard and or the OS. You will likely need to reinstall every program and renew them. Depending on the vendor, you may be allowed to do that a few times or only once.

I have had that happen before when I rebuilt my recording PC. The MOBO was shit and could not work with my two $700 interfaces. I had to call MS and other software companies to explain why I wanted to reinstall software twice in one year. All made things right. Most software licenses are attached to the system it was installed on. Like Addictive Drums. You are allowed to install on 3 computers I believe. You need only reinstall the software on the new PC, and if it don't work, just ask support nice and they will usually accommodate you. I did not change OS though. I reused a OEM Windows 7 Pro license 3 times that year. That isn't supposed to be possible, but they did it anyway.

Most everything software related I use now is either Ilok or in the case of Waves plugs, license is on a flash drive.

Just make sure you have your emails for the activation codes for each software. Then copy what you need and install the software fresh. A good idea anyway. You don't want a corrupt Windows Registry on a new OS. A fresh start is a good thing. It just takes time.

I am having trouble copying after sharing from my old laptop to new desktop..both machines are dell but when I try to copy the files after sharing them it asks for special network administrator permission...any ideas on how to share then copy?
You probably have two different systems with different privileges/rights established for the accounts you are using. It's possible that if you use a MS account (like a hotmail email account) it avoids this problem, but I don't know. (Certainly if you're on a Windows domain and have the same account things go smoothly, or even set up a workgroup, but I'm sure that's not the case here.)

When you create any files on a system, they're assigned ownership/read/write privileges/security associated with the account and domain/system. When you copy them to an external drive from PC 1, if that drive was formatted with NTFS, it carries the rights/privileges of the originating system. If that account is meaningless on the new system, there's going to be a problem when you try to drop them into that world.

Going through a storage media (like the cloud) or using software designed to make that kind of copy across a cable or network might alleviate some of those issues.

Back