Busing in external FX via S/PDIF via Logic Pro

Starstreams

I can't get this to work. I did it in Logic 5.5 when I had my Delta 66 with no issues.

Using the S/PDIF AES adaptort on the RME Fireface UCX II

I can't seem to send a signal to S/PDIF, the external FX unit will not show an input. The only input I get from S/PDIF is though software. If I'm sending to channels 9/10 (which are the S/PDIF channels for the Fireface UCX II) I should see a signal in the inputs of RME's Total Mix. I've tried every channel for both inputs and outputs.
I have the T.C electronics M1 hooked to the S/PDIF I/O of the RME Fireface UCX II. I created an AUX in Logic's X mixer, and assigned a Bus1 to the channel that is to receive/send to the external FX unit. But I can't seem to figure out how to go about bringing the FX unit into the AUX. I see the S/PDIF input in Total Mix I'm not clear on the channel it's using. I read that it uses 11/12 outputs and 1/2 for inputs, or maybe I'm not reading it right. I'm not doing something correct. I'm totally confused on how to set this up because in the AUX, you have Input FX (which are also inputs I think, and Outputs).

I think I found the connection issue, but this battle is not over. That is when I plugged in the spidif cable, I had originally matched red to red and white to white. I think the red's on the Fireface UCX II adapter are outputs just as the red's on the T.C are outputs, so they needed to go to the white inputs on the T.C M1. (White to Red). So I have a signal now.

But now I'm getting a rate mismatch on the T.C M1 display. But I have thoroughly checked this in the T.C M1 I/O settings. The rate IS set to digital and 48Hz in T.C. And even on the Fireface. On the Fireface the right display shows SPDIF, but it flashes. I get an input now in the Total Mix hardware spidif meter (which is good) but it's a solid line that goes to almost 0db and the input on the T.C M1 has a clipping left meter line and the right channel is half way. I wasn't even getting that before. Again, the T.C M1 flashes on the screen that there is a rate mismatch. But all settings are set correct from Logic, to Fireface USB settings, and the T.C M1 is set to 48Hz digital in.

Perhaps it's a master/slave setting. One device has to be the master and one the slave. Normally, when it's a one-way connection, it's obvious that the sending device has to be the master. But since it's a round trip, technically either device could be the master. But there may be something specific that prevents one from being set to master or slave. Or possibly you've got them both set to master or something like that. No guarantee that this is the problem, but it's something to check.

Yes, I've been looking for something like that in the settings of the T.C M1. But there is not much in the I/O setting screen other then the rate and Digital vers Anolog setting option. Also according to the T.C manual: When it detects rate signal from an external device, it clocks off that device. The Fireface is set to use it's Internal clock, which is more accurate then the T.C's I'm sure. I just wondering if the Fireface clock is so much more accurate, that it's being fussy about the syncranazation that the T.C capable of.

The sync signal from the Fireface should force the TC to match it and produce an in-sync signal at its output. What is your bit depth setting? Can the TC handle more than 16 bit? I would assume it can do 24 bit fixed point. Are you running Logic in 32 bit float?

EDIT:
I got this resolved. I just noticed there was a separate Clock and Input setting for Digital. Don't know how I didn't see that. For some reason the spin knob was pulling up a lot of the same settings as the up an down arrows so I didn't notice it.

By the way, thanks for the help you guys. Sorry to make a new post again, I have no EDIT button on this forums for some reason.

Not sure why you're not seeing it. This is from my screen. Anyway, It's all good. The teachers here don't take off for spelling! :-)

Anyway, glad you got things resolved.

Edit button.jpg

Back