building monitors

DrSpankenstein

Hey, I hope this is the right forum for this.

I have a pair of $300 6.5 inch car audio speaks just sitting around. The tweeter is recessed in the voice coil of the woofer. The salesman told me this is to help the frequencies arrive at the same time as the lows. I was thinking maybe I could make some use out of 'em as a set of nearfields. I am spending money elseware for the time being, then i will buy some real monitors. I am very used to the sound of these speakers. Is there a way to tell how big the box needs to be with out the secs? I lost them.
anyway what do you all think. They are 4 ohm.

thanks for the help.
dave

you can probably build an alright set of speaker with them, but monitors, no.

The idea behind monitors is to provide whats call a "flat frequency response". This means the sound is as close to pure as possible.

Everything colours the sound in say a home theatre system, the preamp, the poweramp, the speakers... they all affect to tone in some way. Adding highs, reducing bass, etc, etc.

The idea behind monitors is that the sound leaves the source (say a computer, or reel to reel) un-affected than into your ears. .

This will allow you to get the most accurate image of the audio you are trying to edit. If you use something like car speakers chances are it will boost the bass a little. This will mean you might be cutting the bass on the recording, because it sounds like there is too much through the speakers but in reality on most other stereos, etc, etc there wont be enough because you cut it.

That makes sense, and I apreciate your reply. Is there an affordable way to monitor? I do not have a problem putting the money into monitors, there just seems to be more things I need now. What about A/B with good comercial mixes?

thanks again
dave

DrSpankenstein said:
That makes sense, and I apreciate your reply. Is there an affordable way to monitor? I do not have a problem putting the money into monitors, there just seems to be more things I need now. What about A/B with good comercial mixes?

thanks again
dave

You NEED monitors... You can have the greatest and most prolific gear on the planet; but if you can't hear what you're doing, it's not going to do you any good.

-Chris

DrSpankenstein said:

thanks again
dave

If these 2 car speakers are surplus to your needs try to sell them, you can pick up a set of behringer truth monitors, or yorkvilles, or alesis, or m-audio monitors for under $450 (and they are powered, you dont have to buy a seperate amp).

These are all nice monitors for the money, but everyone has there only preference (just like with shoes, or music), if someone says a certain set a bad, its becuase they dont like them, not becuase that are just plain bad.

go and listen to a few, and decide which ones sound best to your ears....

Back