Building Bass Traps, a chronology.

I'm back at it! Just ordered two more cases of Roxul

To deal with my corners next to the doors I am going to make some thick square panels, 16" wide, 72" tall (6 feet) by 6" Thick! These will hang on the wall in the corners right up against the closet doors. This will effectively be almost a superchunk for the two corners that I can't actually cross cover diagonally. So one of those will go on each side of the room.

Next I am going to make one corner superchunk 16" on the right angle sides, which would give me 18" on the face. Just cause they make 16X24 batts of Roxul, makes it easier to cut it. Then
I get 6 triangles per sheet 18" tall. so if I superchunk it all it would be 108" (or 9 feet) which will do one complete corner plus a little extra. That will basically take care of all my corners.

I think I might make a couple 2'x4'x3" panels to hang on the doors too, then maybe another one for behind my monitors and possible another cloud. Or maybe even a Gobo on wheels or something?

Roxul supposed to be at my local Lowe's by Friday so will update then.

Suprstar is coming by to build some too, so it's a bass trap party :p

How heavy are your doors? Are they solid wood, particleboard core, or hollow accordion cardboard core?

If they're light doors, add some mass to them to keep them from vibrating or rattling against the door jam (and some weatherstripping would help), then the Roxul over them.

How heavy are your doors? Are they solid wood, particleboard core, or hollow accordion cardboard core?

If they're light doors, add some mass to them to keep them from vibrating or rattling against the door jam (and some weatherstripping would help), then the Roxul over them.

They are wood hollow-core interior doors. I don't think they rattle.

First of all, this is a great thread for Bass Traps and home studios.

I was researching on bass trap materials and roxul seemed much easier to get then OC. So this forum definitely helped. How does it sound after all the work?

(You might have mentioned that already, and I might have missed it.)

First of all, this is a great thread for Bass Traps and home studios.

I was researching on bass trap materials and roxul seemed much easier to get then OC. So this forum definitely helped. How does it sound after all the work?

(You might have mentioned that already, and I might have missed it.)

They definitely work. Never used OC to compare but Roxul does the job just fine.

Back