Building Bass Traps, a chronology.

I said that pages back, when arcadeko was contemplating 2" traps, foam and carpet. I am really impressed with arcadeko's adjusting his plans in the light of new knowledge and all in just a couple of days.

The carpet was pre-existing, I wasn't planning on adding any. And the 2" traps were just to supplement the 4". Just wanted to clarify ;) But Cap, your advice and recommendations have been absolutely essential to making this project a success. I really appreciate all the continued support - Look forward to your ongoing contributions :)

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Capriccio again.

As I said before - these things are freaking huge man - Last night I sketched out a design for mini-superchunks that are 16" on the widest face (16" x 48" x 8" triangle columns) that I can run along the entire ceiling. I am going to design them in sketchup as soon as I take measurements in the studio. I think they will work out very well - but I will post the designs as soon as they are done. Will be spending my Labor Day weekend doing labor! :p

Possibly going to build a couple of these for the ceiling:

ceiling-trap-concept2.png

To build the mounting bracket I ripped a 1x3 at a 45 degree angle.
build1.jpg

Basic frame goes together - notches for the ceiling trim
build2.jpg

Attach bottom half of ripped 1x3 to wall (there is a name for this I can't recall it)
build3.jpg

Check frame - make sure it lines up and mounts flush
build4.jpg

Garden shears seem to work pretty well for cutting Roxul
build5.jpg

3 Layers of stacked insulation, as planned (well pretty close)
build6.jpg

Two ceiling panels mounted - as well as an exposed superchunk corner trap
build7.jpg

Superchunk with the fabric cover attached via velcro
build8.jpg

Ok, finally got it all done...

My new home:

studio1.jpg

studio2.jpg

studio3.jpg

studio4.jpg

Got to get to HD and get some more bulbs for my lava lamp!

Wow nice job man, that looks awesome! You got the roxul at lowes right off mansell / 400? I totally gotta do something, my new room sounds like a big closet :D My place was well treated in WI but I got nothing now... I tracked some vox one time since I moved here and can hear what a world of difference that stuff makes. It's impossible for me to track anything good here.

Ok, finally got it all done.

Oh no you haven't! Those monitors don't look like the tweeters are at ear level. Get them up! Higher frequencies are directional so you want to be in the firing line of the tweeters.

Nice moody looking room. I hope it works well for you.

Man, that is fuc*ing cool looking! I will have to agree about the monitor placement. Boost them up 6" or so. And one other observation, the most critical point of bass buildup on the front, left corner of the wall you listen from, is naked. Fill all vertical corners man. That spot is probably the worst you could have open for your monitoring position. I can almost her the low end ringing from that spot just by looking at it from Denver.

Damn beautiful though dood! Props!

Oh no you haven't! Those monitors don't look like the tweeters are at ear level. Get them up! Higher frequencies are directional so you want to be in the firing line of the tweeters.

Stack up some paperbacks under those! While not really decoupling them from your desk, you will get your height!

Wow nice job man, that looks awesome! You got the roxul at lowes right off mansell / 400? I totally gotta do something, my new room sounds like a big closet :D My place was well treated in WI but I got nothing now... I tracked some vox one time since I moved here and can hear what a world of difference that stuff makes. It's impossible for me to track anything good here.

Thanks dude - I ordered the Roxul online from Roxul Acoustical Fire Batts Mineral Wool 2 inch Case of 6 - but I am probably going to order some from Lowes (on Mansell) they don't stock it but you can buy (Roxul Safe and Sound) it on the site and they deliver it to the store free.

Thanks for all your help Cap - I will make some small monitor stands out of MDF board. I got a ton of 1/2" MDF scraps in the garage from arcade cabinets.

Man, that is fuc*ing cool looking! I will have to agree about the monitor placement. Boost them up 6" or so. And one other observation, the most critical point of bass buildup on the front, left corner of the wall you listen from, is naked. Fill all vertical corners man. That spot is probably the worst you could have open for your monitoring position. I can almost her the low end ringing from that spot just by looking at it from Denver.

Damn beautiful though dood! Props!

I am going to order another bale of Roxul Safe and Sound from Lowes and build a couple more corner panel traps. One case will give me three or four more traps.

Or lower your chair! ;)

This would definitely be easier and cheaper :D

Arcade, this is probably the single most informative thread on bass traps that I've seen in here. Good job and thanks!

Mood lighting is always conducive to good times and creativity.

Might I recommend for y'all, a pair of these added to any room adds for an "on stage" vibe with a minimal investment:

We added one on each side of our last practice room, instead of bright annoying lights. and I made some "home brew par can lights" to put in the four corners. Made for a fun atmosphere.

If you're interested, I made a photo tutorial over here at the Eden forums.

Back