Building Audio Workstations.

CapacityWKS.

Hi All,

I just started a new small business called Capacity Workstations.
Just thought I'd post some of the Workstations that I've built.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 171419_10150393721740436_507685435_17227657_4402634_o.jpg
    171419_10150393721740436_507685435_17227657_4402634_o.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 346
  • 179240_10150393721815436_507685435_17227659_7036549_n.jpg
    179240_10150393721815436_507685435_17227659_7036549_n.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_0702.2.jpg
    IMG_0702.2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 342
  • 180013_10150393721860436_507685435_17227662_3487973_n.jpg
    180013_10150393721860436_507685435_17227662_3487973_n.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 341
  • newdesk.1.jpg
    newdesk.1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 338
  • Capacity Workstations Logo3.jpg
    Capacity Workstations Logo3.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 339
Very nice looking, but I think the end caps- pine, if I am correct- are not up to the standard. Given they are accent pieces, I would suggest you replace them with a better-looking wood. The grain of that wood just screams "CHEAP!" while the rest of the desk looks great.

Also, given the desk appears to be operated from a sitting position, I'd say the angles of the top racks is wrong. They appear to be angled for a standing position.

I actually like the grain of the end caps. It's certainly not flame maple but it's pretty cool. You think it's really pine? In my experience, interesting grain patterns in cheap wood tend to disappear when you stain them.

The angles on the gear could be tweaked a bit but I think it's alright. Some good work here, for sure. It puts the desk I made to shame.

I've often seen that grain pattern on pine plywood, and IMHO it cheapens the look of the desk- but maybe that's just me.

Round the end of those boards to follow the contour of the padded elbow rest.

By the way, ALL WORKSTATIONS should have padded elbow rests like this!

nice job, good looking, and obviously built with economy in mind (I mean that as a compliment!).
+100 on the elbow rest.
bad form though, spam on your first post, imho.
Other than that, welcome.
Cheers
C>

I like the rack angle in the first desk, it puts the face panels perpendicular to the operator's line of sight. The second table seems to tilt it back too far, staring at the ceiling. He'd have to stand up and look down to view the dials and displays.

I like how the center is wide open and large enough for a keyboard AND mouse side by side. Once the monitors are on top of the racks, everything's at ear level.

Next question. What about a continous top shelf, so multiple monitors can be placed side by side? The second desk seems to work fine with just one or two monitors, but if three are used, or two really wide monitors, I'd worry about the bases fitting between the racks correctly.

Very nice looking, but I think the end caps- pine, if I am correct- are not up to the standard. Given they are accent pieces, I would suggest you replace them with a better-looking wood. The grain of that wood just screams "CHEAP!" while the rest of the desk looks great.

Also, given the desk appears to be operated from a sitting position, I'd say the angles of the top racks is wrong. They appear to be angled for a standing position.

The end caps are actually customer selected. And both are fir.
The angles of the racks are actually better then what the pictures show. You can can reach everything from the seated position.
Both clients were extremely happy.

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

Thanks Myriad.
I custom design all workstations and the client is sent CAD's of everything before it is built.
This ensures a happy client!
I'd love to see your desk.

---------- Post added at 13:00 ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 ----------

Really nice looking!
Are the dual monitors on covers from cd-r packs?

Yes, he hadn't purchased his monitor arm at the time of taking the pictures.

---------- Post added at 13:04 ---------- Previous post was at 13:00 ----------

I've often seen that grain pattern on pine plywood, and IMHO it cheapens the look of the desk- but maybe that's just me.

Rest assured that all of our clients pick their wood.
They can pick fir, oak, maple, walnut, padauk... heck if they want to spend the money, they can even pick snake wood, if they want to spend the money.

What wood did you use for your workstation?

---------- Post added at 13:13 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

I like the rack angle in the first desk, it puts the face panels perpendicular to the operator's line of sight. The second table seems to tilt it back too far, staring at the ceiling. He'd have to stand up and look down to view the dials and displays.

I like how the center is wide open and large enough for a keyboard AND mouse side by side. Once the monitors are on top of the racks, everything's at ear level.

Next question. What about a continous top shelf, so multiple monitors can be placed side by side? The second desk seems to work fine with just one or two monitors, but if three are used, or two really wide monitors, I'd worry about the bases fitting between the racks correctly.

Hey Bryan,
I can build pretty much anything that an engineer wants. (minus gear)
I have definitely thought about a continuous shelf.
The workstation with the racks angled back, originally the client wanted a continuous shelf, but three days after decided against the idea.
Thanks for the compliments.

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

Nice... how much?

The desk with the KRK's was sold for $850.00 + tax.
The desk with the angled backs was sold for $900 + tax.

It all depends on what you want in it.
I am currently a CAD that fits the Toft ATB 24. This will cost a bit more as I am using more material. (But not much more)

My company isn't out to bleed musicians.
It's primarily focused on offering workstations to the home recording studio.
I understand that most people are on a budget. So I came up with a product that will be offered to people at a a reasonable price.
I hope that every gets that.

Thanks for all the compliments and the constructive feed back.
I appreciate all of it.

Cheers.

Okay so you're building truly customized products. No two desks alike! While that is a bit more costly and time consuming, it is VERY wise to work up CAD drawings so the costumer gets a full visual layout of how it will look. Commissioned work like that with all details ironed out means no crabby customers unhappy with the end result.

I just brought over a corner desk for my band's sound room, so we could have more desk area for setting up the recording gear. But after seeing your work, I'm ready to chuck that crappy little desk!

Okay so you're building truly customized products. No two desks alike! While that is a bit more costly and time consuming, it is VERY wise to work up CAD drawings so the costumer gets a full visual layout of how it will look. Commissioned work like that with all details ironed out means no crabby customers unhappy with the end result.

I just brought over a corner desk for my band's sound room, so we could have more desk area for setting up the recording gear. But after seeing your work, I'm ready to chuck that crappy little desk!

All are completely customized.
I haven't had a customer upset once.
I'm sure your new desk will work just fine, but you can always send me a message if you want something different.
Cheers.

I like that desk. I've been thinkn about making one for the longest but can't thick of which build to use? I have a Phonic m2-3243mixer and a mackie controller, I want to put them side by side.....keep up the good work!

I like that desk. I've been thinkn about making one for the longest but can't thick of which build to use? I have a Phonic m2-3243mixer and a mackie controller, I want to put them side by side.....keep up the good work!

Just a couple of questions:

Which one do you like?
I did a quick search to find the phonic M2-3243 mixer and I couldn't find it anywhere. I'm guessing it is pretty large with 32 channels and you want that in the desk?

How big is your space?
I only ask because that is going to be a long desk if you want the 32 channel mixer in, as well as a mackie controller?

Back