Building a custom fretless bass

metalhead28

Hates Raymond
Picked up the lumber last night.
Curly maple / walnut laminate neck thru, Zebrawood for the body wings, and an ebony fingerboard.
I'm still undecided as to what, if anything, I will cap the body with. Maybe nothing since I have 2" Zebrawood. Maybe a piece of walnut. I've also got access to a pretty nice looking piece of coco bolo that I could bookmatch.

This is my first bass. Any bass builders here? Some things I am undecided on are the bridge style and the sort of nut I want to use. Anyone have any recomendations in that area?

I was thinking of maybe going 35, but since I'm used to 34 I'll probably stick to that. This is going to be a 5 string though. That will be new to me.

If you are veneering the body don't forget to do the back too.

I have a nice Ibanez ATK thats capped with Koa but the idiots didn't balance the veneers and it's cupping quite badly, luckily it still plays and sounds great.

A nice bone nut is always good, that's what I replaced mine with when I refinished my bass.

I wish I could help you with bridges, but I don't know anything about them. :o

What pickups are you getting? How are you finishing it? Can we see pics of the progress?

I haven't decided on the pickup yet. Probably some Bartolinis.

I'm thinking of getting a hipshot brass bridge. Finish wise - probably just a clear polyurethane or something for some gloss. No finish on the neck.

Sure, I'll post pics of the progress. I'm still in the design stages now - not ready to start cutting just yet. I'm sort of copying off of an Alembic Rogue body style.

My favorite bass bridge is the Hipshot A style bridges. I also like the Hipshot ultra light gears.

As for the scale length, I would go with at least 35 if you are making a 5 string. 34 inch B strings just sound floppy.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

For five string the longer the string length the better.

As to capping the Zebrano/zebrawood, why? I always think that if you have a nice piece of timber why hide it. A capped top is usual on not so pretty wood. I'd go with the zabrano and leave it at that but thats just my opinion.

If you are veneering the body don't forget to do the back too.
True it is standard practice to use backing veneer for most applications, but you should be OK with the type of body you are considering. The more wildly figured the timber the more likely you are to see it pull the substrate. Koa can be very bad in this respect. You can kill the grain by using a compound backing if your worried but you will see a line at the join. A lot will be down to the timbers concerned.

Can't advise on the bridge as I build very few basses. As with 7 string guitars I would imagine a lot is down to availability and your personal choice.

for 5 string it ain't just about the scale length. there's a zillion other factors that go in as well. If you've ever played a sadowsky 5, you'll know that a 34" B string can be tight, punchy and defined - I'd put the B string on a sadowsky up against anything else you find at any scale length, and they only do 34".

Keep in mind, changing the scale length will have an effect on the tone you get. Maybe better, maybe worse. Depends on what you're after.

I've decided that I won't cap the body - the zebrawood I've got for the body looks great - it's not the straight lined stuff - it's got very interesting streaks through it and I want to show it off.

I'm still undecided about the scale length. I'm probably going to go play some basses. :D

I'm actually designing this bass in 3D before I build it.
What do you guys think so far?

Attachments

• bass.jpg
    bass.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 82
metalhead28 said:
I'm actually designing this bass in 3D before I build it.
What do you guys think so far?

that's gonna be badass. can we look forward to some tracks of you thumping on it ?

Looks great on paper. I can't see any construction issues with it. If your tool skills are as good as your CAD your onto a winner. Is the headstock going to be angled? Just asking cos you'll need to consider how you cut or scarf it an what size your stock is before you start cutting. Inline might save you time and timber. Not a big issue but worth some thought now. A good scarf on maple is tricky and to cut from one piece can be waste full

Great looking bass though keep us posted with your progress. Reminds me of the Washburn Taurus.

muttley600 said:
Looks great on paper. I can't see any construction issues with it. If your tool skills are as good as your CAD your onto a winner. Is the headstock going to be angled? Just asking cos you'll need to consider how you cut or scarf it an what size your stock is before you start cutting. Inline might save you time and timber. Not a big issue but worth some thought now. A good scarf on maple is tricky and to cut from one piece can be waste full

Great looking bass though keep us posted with your progress. Reminds me of the Washburn Taurus.

Yeah, the headstock will be angled and I'm using enough stock to do the whole thing from one piece...well.....5 pieces. :D

Thanks and I'll post some pics once I start cutting!

metalhead28 said:
Yeah, the headstock will be angled and I'm using enough stock to do the whole thing from one piece...well.....5 pieces. :D

Thanks and I'll post some pics once I start cutting!

Ok, same as your average archtop neck. That would work just fine.

As a matter of interest what was your inspiration for the outline and design?

muttley600 said:
Ok, same as your average archtop neck. That would work just fine.

As a matter of interest what was your inspiration for the outline and design?

When I started this I was planning to sort of copy an Alembic Rogue - but as I've been looking at alot of other custom basses I've been going in other directions. I like this guys basses:

http://www.hanewinckelguitars.com/

Also, I like some stuff from Tobias and Zon basses. I guess it's a mixture of looking at all of those.

Nice basses. That outline style is becoming quite generic these days mainly I would guess because it works and although I'm by ne means a bass guy. The ones I've picked up do balance well. The one I was referring to despite being a cheepo was this one. Mainly because its neck thru and symetric in the lower bout. I saw a truck load of them last week when dropping and collecting in town last week. Your inspiration is better than the Washburn. ;) Go for it.

You may have fun looking at the Wishbass Website

http://wishbass.com/pages/943108/index.htm

Steve is an original there are some fun designs in his galleries.

I like your design. It's attractive and it should balance well.

It's been my experience that fat neck profiles are more comfortable than modern thinner ones. They cause less cramping and fatigue, but they take some getting used to. They also have better sustain. I say this because you can always remove more wood if you find its not to your taste.

Be advised that fretless fingerboards are even less forgiving about surfacing that fretted ones. Be very anal about getting it perfect. A long radius block would be a good investment.

You might also consider dual truss rods ala Rickenbacker.

Back