Budget Les Pauls

I have a Strat with a 1961 serial number, I took it to a guitar show and had it looked at by some collectors. It turns out that it is a "partscaster" put together from stuff made between about 1960 and 1963.
Okay, Gordon. Out with it. '60-'63 partscasters are still worth more than off the shelf MIA Strats. How much?

lou

Okay, Gordon. Out with it. '60-'63 partscasters are still worth more than off the shelf MIA Strats. How much?

I didn't have it formally appraised, but the guys who looked at said it would likely be worth $10-12K, but that would likely be parted out and I'm not gonna do that.

I didn't have it formally appraised, but the guys who looked at said it would likely be worth $10-12K, but that would likely be parted out and I'm not gonna do that.
Parted out? Fuck no! The whole will be worth more than the sum of it's parts some day. And who gives a fuck if it ain't? That one's a keeper regardless of what it's worth.

Thanks for sharing. I'm jealous.

lou

As soon as someone starts being more concerned about how much a guitar is worth more than how it plays and how it sounds, it should be forcibly removed from them. These asswipe "collectors" are actually just doing everything in their power to price good instruments out of reach for working musicians.

I love my Epi LP Classic, sadly discontinued. Ocean blue over quilt maple. Did I install the pick guard? Like hell I did, no way I'm covering all that wood.

As for MiM Fenders, I got a new Precision about 2 months ago, it's a piece of shit. Okay it plays and sounds okay, but the fit and finish? I'd be embarrassed to be seen with it. 600 bones, you can get a better Dean. Never thought I'd say a Dean was better than anything.

i bought a nice cheap gibson LP junior II as a back up guitar and like it so much i actually use it as my main one now! the LP classic hasn't been used since! just love the P100's and the smooth sound :) all for less than 400 quid ;)

i bought a nice cheap gibson LP junior II as a back up guitar and like it so much i actually use it as my main one now! the LP classic hasn't been used since! just love the P100's and the smooth sound :) all for less than 400 quid ;)
How much is 400 quid in 'Merican money?

I've worked on several Gibsons that should have been in the dumpster. Being in a college town, I've had the opportunity to check out a couple older Tokais that would give a production LP a run for the money.

My heavy mahogany guitar is a mid '90's Hamer Sunburst--it works just fine for me and keeps all the headstock snobs on the other side of the room.

I've worked on several Gibsons that should have been in the dumpster. Being in a college town, I've had the opportunity to check out a couple older Tokais that would give a production LP a run for the money.

My heavy mahogany guitar is a mid '90's Hamer Sunburst--it works just fine for me and keeps all the headstock snobs on the other side of the room.

How much is 400 quid in 'Merican money?

tbh you normally pay in dollars what we pay in pounds as things are cheaper over there so you're probably looking at the 400 dollar mark. an exact conversion would be about $630 at current rates.

I just gotta jump in; $600-$700 price range.... GRECO.
Call it what you want, but they are as good or better than any current LP.
Seriously

Agile makes a decent MIK LP knock-off for ~$400. Look at the AL-3000 series. Grover tuners, Graph Tech nut, alnico v pups, set neck, ebony fretboard, excellent fret work, great fit and finish. Reviews are better than any Epi and about on par with a Gibby LP studio. I'm pretty happy with mine. If you get one you might want to change the bridge though. Some of the saddles on the stock bridges click when doing bends. You can pick up a Gotoh or Wilkinson for about $25. The other downside is that they are quite heavy if you don't get a chambered model. Mine is about 10 lbs.

our other guitarist has a Love rock LP.

of course we ragged him mercilessly when he got it for buying a guitar with a gay name but it's a very good guitar indeed. and about 1/3 of the gibson price!! (another source for piss taking for being so cheap as well but hey, we have fun doing it)

As soon as someone starts being more concerned about how much a guitar is worth more than how it plays and how it sounds, it should be forcibly removed from them. These asswipe "collectors" are actually just doing everything in their power to price good instruments out of reach for working musicians.

I've only been in that situation once, and I ended up just getting rid of the guitar for pretty much those reasons. It wasn't quite to the same extent, but the guitar was an Ibanez RG7CST J-custom piezo-equipped seven string, one of maybe about 18 built, back in 1999. I bought it used, owned it for almost two years, but eventually realized it was just collecting dust in its case because I was too afraid of hurting it to play it, and that whenever I wanted to play I'd just reach for my Universe. So, since I needed cash for a down payment on a car anyway, I sold it. I haven't looked back since. If I can't play it, I don't want to own it and I'd rather it went to someone who would play it.

this this this...anybody that says these are not close to the real thing is crazy or just ignorant. I would know since I own both.

I've played a whole bunch and just sold the one I owned - admittedly I haven't played many Gibsons lately, but if Agiles are every bit as good as Gibsons, that's because Gibson has slipped.

Agiles are damned nice for the money, but my T7 Texan felt about on par with a decent Mexi Telecaster (well, minus the extra string). Certainly not a bad guitar for the money, but it didn't have "that" feel to it.

I've played a whole bunch and just sold the one I owned - admittedly I haven't played many Gibsons lately, but if Agiles are every bit as good as Gibsons, that's because Gibson has slipped.

Agiles are damned nice for the money, but my T7 Texan felt about on par with a decent Mexi Telecaster (well, minus the extra string). Certainly not a bad guitar for the money, but it didn't have "that" feel to it.

Yeah, I love cheap gits ..... don't get me wrong ...... but the more 'spensive ones do have a 'feel' of quality that cheapos lack.
veneers and lower cost electronics are the norm.

Having said that, I think that some of them do get fairly close ..... close enough to be worthy contenders even if they go out in the 8th round on a technical.

Yeah, I love cheap gits ..... don't get me wrong ...... but the more 'spensive ones do have a 'feel' of quality that cheapos lack.

I'm with you - there's something fun about a "good" cheap guitar. If it plays well and it's not so expensive you're afraid of hurting it, well, it's just a good guitar to mess around on. :D

I swore up and down for years on how I would never own a Les Paul, they were just too awkward to play, etc IMHO
Then, 2 years ago, I was not guitar shopping, just in the store lookign around on a Saturday afternoon. I saw a barely used Epiphone Les Paul Ultra for $350, regular price was $695. Picked it up to try it, was lighter than any Les Paul, and the neck felt right, and all the other considerations / personal preference. It was right for the price ... so my suggestion would be to hunt around for a price-friendly used guitar, if you're on a limited budget.
Just watch out for unwanted hum & buzz from cheapo guitars

Back