Budget Les Pauls

I love love love my Epi LP standard plus top

HOw hard are you willing to work on the guitar? OUt of the box it was a little meh but over the last year......

50's style wiring and new pots and PIO capacitors ...opened the sound up.
Gibson 57 Classic and Classic plus pups.... made it even better
Tusq Nut ....Better Still
Graphtech Bridge........Oh yeah
Complete re set up including Razor scraping the waxy stuff they put on at the factory off the fretboard and re oiling, Fret leveling and crowing, Satin finishing the neck to get rid of the sticky, glossy neck and make it faster............can I have an Halleluja.

Now I did all of the work myself and only had to buy the bits which probably saved me several hundred in Guitar Tech payments but for about the price of a Gibson LP studio which I spread out over the course of a year doing little improvement here and there, I got one hell of a guitar that actually plays nicer and sings sweeter than any of the Studio's I auditioned

Does it play as nice as my actual Les Paul Standard...Nope. But it's pretty darned close and it cost about 65% less

BTW you have to watch out for fake Epis, Ebay and craigslist are awash with them and they are truely sh!t. Buy from a reputable dealer that buys direct from Gibson/Epiphone

I'm cool.

No, you are not. Not cool, at all- read on:

I'm not making a value judgment on Epis or copies...no slam intended.

Total bull shit statement. You ARE making a value judgment, and everybody knows it- including you. Just because you SAY you aren't, does not make it so. Interestingly, you go on to contradict yourself:

...Any other builder's (besides Epiphone or Orville) piece would be called a Les Paul copy...

Ain't you special. It figures that you own an Epiphone...

Lou, you are an asshole (or at least, being one.) Being an asshole is NOT cool. I'll be damned if I am going to let you, or anyone, fire one across my bow without a response.

Oh, BTW Stevie Wonder...Ending a post with "QED Motherfucker" says a lot about your character. I guess what I'm saying here is fuck off.

lou

Bring it on, little feller. Knock yerself out. I probably won't respond further. Your self-esteem issues do not interest me.
lou

Who's got issues, here? You say you won't respond further, than IMMEDIATELY do just that.

Oh, and ending a post with "fuck off" doesn't say anything about your character? You really are an ass.

Nemo me impune lacessit, you shit.

Back on topic - in my experience, QC is a big factor with the Epis. Action, fit and finish should all be thoroughly assessed before you make a purchase. I've noticed a high fret at the neck/body join of more than one Epi. For these reasons I'd be inclined towards a Tokai replica, but that's just me.

For these reasons I'd be inclined towards a Tokai replica, but that's just me.
Tokais are pretty well respected from what I've heard. I've never played one. I'd like to get my hands on an Orville - MIJ and licensed by Gibson - but they are getting kinda pricey now.

lou

I have several Epis ..... and I have a cheaper Xavier.
I actually think the Xavier is better quality.
My Zak Wilde Epi Paul is pretty cool but one thing about Epis ..... the pots and jacks are junk. And the strap buttons will NOT stay tight until you work on them some.
Same thing with pots .... it's really hard to get them where they don't rotate. Don't know why but every Epi I've had has been like that.

I've had everything there is to have mostly and I love cheap guitars although nice ones are a joy to play.
Currently my Stinnett custom is my fav.
Ultimately it's all about what you do with it.

Man, this tit-for-tat stuff gets old fast, doesn't it? For my part, I am sorry I got into it. The "QED, mother fucker!" statement was intended as a joke/poke, but I guess I need to be more generous with my use of smilies so some of my posts might be better understood.

Man, this tit-for-tat stuff gets old fast, doesn't it? For my part, I am sorry I got into it. The "QED, mother fucker!" statement was intended as a joke/poke, but I guess I need to be more generous with my use of smilies so some of my posts might be better understood.
If that's an apology to me I'll accept it, if not you can keep fucking off. ;)

My one and only point was truth in advertising. I am not a snob about my guitars, they're all players with dings and dangs (except my R4). My Deluxe was routed, pups swapped, used and abused long before I got it but it's an early 70's Norlin Les Paul and there ain't an Epi out there that will touch it. There's lots of Epi players that can blow my doors all the way off but they'd sound even better playing Evelyn. Or Ronno, my '81 black Custom that I had the top finish sanded off to natural and clear coated. Another player. My '08 R4 is the only one that hasn't been fucked with...yet. It's got a baseball bat neck I'm thinking about thinning up.

So it ain't gear snobbery, man. It's about accuracy. There ain't no such thing as a budget Les Paul except maybe a used Studio if yer budget is $600. Maybe a Junior. Epis and copies don't count no matter how good they sound or play. Shit man, there are websites where you can be banned for calling an Epi a Les Paul if you don't put "Epi" in front of it! Them dudes are snobs.

To the OP - you should look at Studios. They won't be losing value and if you're patient you may not have to stretch yer budget too far.

Gibson Les Pauls have a mystique and value that their owners appreciate. We can pass these things down to our kids and know that some day they will be money in the bank. Not so with Epis and copies I'm afraid.

Anyway...rant over. Ain't none of 'em shit if you don't play 'em.

lou

well actually ..... pauls in general suck!
:D
Don't freak out and attack me as unamerican ....... I'm mostly kidding and only referring to what I personally like.
But I've had about a dozen of 'em ...... heavy ...... poor fret access up high ...... sound great but the drawbacks overwhelm the sound to me.

I did play a chambered paul a few weeks back at some gig I did.
I'll have to admit it was an entirely different beast because it was super light.
For some reason it's lightness seemed to make the upper frets easier to get to ..... I can't imagine why that'd be but it was very noticable.

I do wish I had back my paul that would be worth 6 figures though ........ but only so I could sell the crap out of it!

I keep the Epi Zak Wilde because it was a birthday gift from wifey so I have to pull it out from time to time.
But I really want a 24 fret neck with easy access all the way up ...... that's become important to me.

well actually ..... pauls in general suck!
:D
Don't freak out and attack me as unamerican ....... I'm mostly kidding and only referring to what I personally like.
But I've had about a dozen of 'em ...... heavy ...... poor fret access up high ...... sound great but the drawbacks overwhelm the sound to me.
Well you un-American sonuvabitch... :laughings:

Ha ha...I've heard that before. It's a valid critique. Doesn't apply to me 'cause my fingers ain't good enough to do anything worthwhile up in skinny fret land anyway. They are heavy bitches. Four hour gigs get awfully long.

I'm more of a rhythm guy and I just love LP crunch, ring and sustain. The shorter scale fits me as well - some people have issues with that. It's all good. Everyone has their faves.

lou

If that's an apology to me I'll accept it, if not you can keep fucking off. ;)

For my part, I am sorry I got into it.

Geech, what do I have to do, rub your nose in it??:)

I'll accept it's not snobbery, but it sure sounded like it at first. Can't say I agree with your assessment of Epi's, though- I would remind you that some Epi's have wonderful reputations with no connection to Gibson (some of that is historical, some of it modern,) and I, personally, got REAL lucky, apparently- a eBay Epi 'Paul, with Burstbucker Pro Alneco 5's (whew!) plays, looks and sounds BEAUTIFULLY. No need to change pots or switch, so far. Really, as good as it is, I find it hard to believe I got THAT lucky- I believe there is more quality in the basis of a Epi Les Paul than most folks care to give it credit for.

And I wouldn't want to be a part of any forum that demands that sort of snob-driven behavior. Good grief.

And all this is forcing me to check in something that makes me sad every time I think of it: about 10 years ago, I was visiting Seattle, and could have bought a lefty, '68 GIBSON Les Paul Standard, black with ivory binding, and OHSC, for $500. I even had the money at time.:(

I wouldn't want to be a part of any forum that demands that sort of snob-driven behavior. Good grief.
It is a bit much. They're useful if you need info though. Serious expert and collector land.

stevieb said:
And all this is forcing me to check in something that makes me sad every time I think of it: about 10 years ago, I was visiting Seattle, and could have bought a lefty, '68 GIBSON Les Paul Standard, black with ivory binding, and OHSC, for $500. I even had the money at time.:(
Oh ouch. I forgot you were a lefty. That makes a Gibson "deal" that much more difficult. Interesting note - John McEnroe the tennis player is a lefty and noted collector of Les Pauls. He has a few lefty Bursts from the golden age, '58-'60. These are quarter-million and up guitars and being left-handed have an added premium. Nice to have money though if I snaked one at a yard sale I'd sell it the next day and buy a new house. Cash.

lou

...lefty, '68 GIBSON Les Paul Standard, black with ivory binding...(
This is very interesting. You got my curiosity going.

With the disclaimer that I am no expert I have good news and bad news. You probably avoided a counterfeit or scam - or - you missed a very rare piece.

In 1968 Gibson re-introduced the Les Paul. The body shape had not been produced since 1960. There were only two models available; Goldtop 1956 reissue Standard and black Custom. There were no black Standards in 1968. The Deluxe came out in later '68 with the mini hums.

So the guitar you missed out on was either a fake or a very rare pre-production or prototype piece. Now it also could have been a Deluxe. If the pups were full-size buckers it would have been routed. The truss rod cover could also have been replaced. It could also have been a refinished Goldtop. Either of those would have been well worth the money.

Sorry to go on and on but I find this shit fascinating especially considering the value of the collectible LPs. Hope I'm not reinforcing any regrets. Also remember that I am not an expert. I could easily have missed something and will gladly take correction.

lou

I did play a chambered paul a few weeks back at some gig I did. I'll have to admit it was an entirely different beast because it was super light.
For some reason it's lightness seemed to make the upper frets easier to get to ..... I can't imagine why that'd be but it was very noticable.
I'll bring my chambered LP to Jamfest next summer and you can beat on it. :D

I don't find the upper fret access any easier on it than on my other LPs, though. Could be that the lighter body weight caused you to have a slightly differernt hanging angle, or something. :confused:

In 1968 Gibson re-introduced the Les Paul. The body shape had not been produced since 1960. There were only two models available; Goldtop 1956 reissue Standard and black Custom. There were no black Standards in 1968. The Deluxe came out in later '68 with the mini hums.
The very first Les Paul (it was black) I ever saw was on stage at a club in about 1968 or '69. It was, I believe, being played by the guitarist for The Basement Wall out of Baton Rouge. Lt. Bob will remember them.

Anyway, I was captivated by the look and sound of it and I lusted for a black LP until I finally got mine in '77 or so. It's not for sale.

Back