Budget Cymbal Condenser Mics For Recording???

Privacles

What are some of the best Cymbal Condenser mics you can buy at a budget cost? I really dont have a whole lot of money just looking for some great mics that sound like a million bucks. Even if it a bit above middle of the road. I record Rock Metal And Country so I'm looking for an all around mic. I have a cheap pair of Nadys that came with a drum pack I bought years ago they do the job just looking to upgrade I have always garbed shure when it comes to mics. I see they make a condenser pack there called pg81's.

Thanks \m/ Privacles \m/

I haven't used the pg81s but if you're a shure fan check out the sm81s (or investigate the difference between the two).

The 81s are my go to pencil condensers. They're just great if you want a detailed accurate sound.
They're not flattering or anything like that.

Some people don't like them but others maintain that they are the kinda mic everyone should have.
Great on acoustic guitars and hand percussion if that's a factor for ya.

Mxl 993s or 603s, Naiant x-s mics. Should be able to get a pair of any of those from $100-200. The Naiants even have a trial period so send'm back if you don't like them.

I have never heard of "cymbal mics". Are you talking about overheads?

Yeah Im talking about overhead microphones condensers pencil mics. Just trying to get some incite thanks for the suggestions. I want to find a good pair with the best quality review just looking for a pair that don't cost a 1000 dollars plus. :eek: Like 500 USD tops...

For $4-500 I would say either a pair of Octava 012s or a pair of rode NT5 mics, a pair of studio projects C4s, or if you can find a set of used sm81 mics.

For $4-500 I would say either a pair of Octava 012s or a pair of rode NT5 mics, a pair of studio projects C4s, or if you can find a set of used sm81 mics.

Everything above plus some of the mxls get mentioned consistently around here.

In the lower price range you'll probably just get the same five or six pairs mentioned over and over, and everyone will have their own favourite.

I think Moresound might still be selling a pair of sm81s in the free ads section.

You've been given great choices to try out, better than I could come up with, but just keep in mind you don't have to use "pencil" condensers for overheads.

At the price these are, I would buy them just to try out, I have used them on the last 3 drum recordings at my studio and have been amazed by the results. Review here.

Alan.

At the price these are, I would buy them just to try out, I have used them on the last 3 drum recordings at my studio and have been amazed by the results. Review here.

Alan.

Nice!!! I saw those mentioned the other day on a recording blog, but I think it was a spam message so I was dubious about their quality and such! Good to hear an honest opinion about them! I will definitely check those out.

I know, when I read this line in the sound on sound review "I thought somebody was having a laugh... but when good reports started to trickle through, I thought I’d better find out what all the fuss was about!" I thought the same thing as he did. But I was very pleasantly surprised. I haven't tried them on other things yet but I will. I have reviewed them in another thread and I commented that they seem to pick up a little less of the kit and more of cymbals, but this has been working really well when I am mixing and the kit has a good balance. You do have to experiment with the hight above the kit depending on the sound you want, and the room must sound good.

OK they are not a top dollar overhead, but I find them very interesting, and for the price just go for it, if you don't like them you have sacrificed a pizza. :D

Alan.

I use a set of SM27's as overheads, which aren't pencils. Since I really don't have enough experience to debate on the situation, I recorded a little clip to give you an example. They might be awesome mics but that won't make your drumming any better (now that I can say from experience)!

Sample by Gianelli280 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

The clip was taken in my basement, a horrible place to record, and I'm sure anyone can pick out the terrible mic placement used, but take it as an example of the worst possible sound that can go into these mics.

600$ for the set, but they work pretty well on cabs, clean vox, and acoustic guitars too!

Back