Brand Name or Custom Built Computer?

What kind of system are you using?

• Total voters
mindbuzz said:
A list of reasons to get a manufactured computer:

1.) Powerbook
2.) Notebook
3.) Laptop

I will stand and applaud anyone who has built a custom one of these.

If you want to go portable of course. Otherwise, I'd build a desktop myself. Have and always will.

For recording purposes, it's probably best to go with a desktop anyway, so why not build it yourself? If you really need the portability though, laptops are much easier to buy than build. Some people do build them, but it's not easy enough to have caught major popularity yet.

I have a Powermac G5, which I use in conjunction with Pro Tools and the Digi 002. I'm loving it. Haven't had any crashes or even slowdowns so far. My computer before was a self-built Windows machine that eventually wore out. I'm hoping to avoid that this time around.

do it yourself. in the long run it would pay off! you can change anything you want. custom is the only way man! just make sure you got the jest of what you doing, or else you can have a hell of a time getting things to work.

Check out ibuypower.com. Thay have some awsome prices with lots f parts to choose from, at a price midway between self assembly and a "brand name".

Heres what I'm considering:
AMD 64 X2 4400
2048 Corsair XMS Pro RAM with Heatspreader
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra Chipset Mobo
Western Digital 160 GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA
Maxtor 300 GB 7200 RPM

Any comments / suggestions?

I just wish my G5 came with a parallel printer port and dual CD/DVD drives and a multi-media card reader. Don't think any were even listed as options.

panoramical said:
Manufactured, since Apple do by far the best job at making any computer.

Apples are well put together - but you can't beat building your own IMO.
After all - Apple don't know what I want in my machine, only I do.

The thing is though...you build your own computer, as I did, to my own specifications, and you can only run XP...that's why I'd prefer to get an Apple, since you can actually run OS X on it. XP Crashes all the time after a few years...

EDIT: The reason I am biased towards Macs is because I've had such bad experiences with Windows Computers. I have tried making my own and buying them from companies. I have tried Mesh, Dell, Carerra, Multivision, and Compaq. I can safely say that none are anywhere near my Mac. Even my homebrew ones, admittedly, were better than the PC Companies in terms of lifespan, but still not a patch on my Mac. As the old saying goes, people only say Macs are bad because they haven't ever tried one. I used to hate Mac as well, but then I started hating Windows. So I switched. And it was the best choice I ever made. My computer never crashes, and has lasted for three years now, and is as perfect as when I got it. I'm sure that with all the spyware and viruses you get on Windows, this is rarely the case with XP. I have info. I have experience. THerefore, I consider my opinion to be based on solid ground. Fine - it is an opinion, and some people may have had different experiences to me. But I really so no way (apart from that you can't build your own Apple computers, and your options rare sometimes limited) that Apples can ever bee seen as worse than windows computers. You can even run Windows programs on Macs now, with the benefit of Virtual Pc.

Last edited:
panoramical said:
The thing is though...you build your own computer, as I did, to my own specifications, and you can only run XP...that's why I'd prefer to get an Apple, since you can actually run OS X on it. XP Crashes all the time after a few years...

XP crashes all the time after a few years? So it runs for a few years, and then problems arise? Well, I'm running XP and have had zero crashes in about 1 1/2 years. The key is to not install a bunch of crap on it (file sharing software, etc.), and keep the thing dedicated to be a DAW. If you put a PC on the net, install a bunch of crap, and then intend to keep using it as a DAW, it certainly could crash eventually. As far as hardware, well the computer I'm using I built two years ago and have upgraded the processor and memory - thing still runs roughly 12+ hours a day, everyday without a hitch.

I'm not against Macs either. I know people who use them, love them, and they work for them. I also understand that it is a great platform for DAW work, but I've also seen people with their share of problems attempting to get hardware/software working properly. I'm not here to debate that one is better the other, only that people have to use what works for them. I've seen many, many people using PC's happily, and the same goes for people using Macs.

Whoever gave me a negative rep "closed minded opinions not based on facts" for my above post....how am I closed minded?

warble said:
XP crashes all the time after a few years? So it runs for a few years, and then problems arise? Well, I'm running XP and have had zero crashes in about 1 1/2 years. The key is to not install a bunch of crap on it (file sharing software, etc.), and keep the thing dedicated to be a DAW. If you put a PC on the net, install a bunch of crap, and then intend to keep using it as a DAW, it certainly could crash eventually. As far as hardware, well the computer I'm using I built two years ago and have upgraded the processor and memory - thing still runs roughly 12+ hours a day, everyday without a hitch.

I'm not against Macs either. I know people who use them, love them, and they work for them. I also understand that it is a great platform for DAW work, but I've also seen people with their share of problems attempting to get hardware/software working properly. I'm not here to debate that one is better the other, only that people have to use what works for them. I've seen many, many people using PC's happily, and the same goes for people using Macs.

All true.
I find that it's generally people who don't know how to use and maintain a Windows installation that complain about it.

It does take work - but it can be done, and the benefits are measurable.

FWIW here's why I don't own a MAC:
> OSX is impossibly bloated with all it's swanky animations - I simply don't want to give large portions of my RAM to the O/S. On WinXP I can turn all that stuff off with three clicks.
> IME of OSX on G5s in work and my housemate's laptop, it can and will crash plenty. The idea that Apple's don't crash is as much a myth as the idea that Windows crashes all the time.
> Applications are often built for a single button mouse - which I find a pain.
> If I buy an Apple I don't have a warranty on each component of the machine. This means that if the DVD burner dies (for instance) I have to send the entire machine back to Apple and be without a computer for some time. If it's a machine I built myself I just pop in a spare optical device and RMA the broken one.
> I can configure the machine's hardware and software to my exact specifications on a homebrew.
> I worked out that building my own PC cost me a third of what it would have cost to buy a G5. The resulting machine is also about a third more powerful than a G5. It's twice as powerful in some situations (an audio export takes half the time it does on my home-brew as it does on a G5).
> I don't like the OSX interface. The animations slow me down and Finder is next to useless without an address bar. Being a Unix head the first thing I do on an OSX machine is try and find the command line. This is the one thing I like about OSX :)

Although pretty personal, I think these are good reasons to build ones own machine. It should only be attempted by somebody who knows what they want and what they're doing though. I know very few people who know how to properly look after a WinXP installation. Then again, I know very few people who know how to properly maintain an OSX installation...

To put the 'spyware / virus' record straight.
I have had ONE virus in ten years of running Windows. This was easily cleaned up by GiSoft AVG (a free program), which is scheduled to run every night when I'm asleep. Adaware (also free) runs at the same time - but all it ever finds is the odd cookie.

Again - most people just click 'OK' without thinking and wonder why they end up with a spyware/virus riddled machine. I'm not saying this isn't a problem - but I also think a certain amount of blame needs to be put on the user's plate. Most of these things are easily avoidable.

I have a hardware firewall in my router - so I don't worry about that either.

In summary I can definitely understand why many people want to use Macs. The lack of malicious software written for them is advantageous, and I know some weirdos actually like the playschool interface ;)

They arguably don't currently require as much knowledge to maintain as a Windows PC either.

For somebody who knows what they're doing with computers, and finds that the OSX GUI gets in their way they're not great though - especially considering the price.

Last edited:
panoramical said:

EDIT: The reason I am biased towards Macs is because I've had such bad experiences with Windows Computers. I have tried making my own and buying them from companies. I have tried Mesh, Dell, Carerra, Multivision, and Compaq. I can safely say that none are anywhere near my Mac. Even my homebrew ones, admittedly, were better than the PC Companies in terms of lifespan, but still not a patch on my Mac. As the old saying goes, people only say Macs are bad because they haven't ever tried one. I used to hate Mac as well, but then I started hating Windows. So I switched. And it was the best choice I ever made. My computer never crashes, and has lasted for three years now, and is as perfect as when I got it. I'm sure that with all the spyware and viruses you get on Windows, this is rarely the case with XP. I have info. I have experience. THerefore, I consider my opinion to be based on solid ground. Fine - it is an opinion, and some people may have had different experiences to me. But I really so no way (apart from that you can't build your own Apple computers, and your options rare sometimes limited) that Apples can ever bee seen as worse than windows computers. You can even run Windows programs on Macs now, with the benefit of Virtual Pc.

My PC has never crashed. They crash when you load it up with junk and you dont maintain it like cleaning the registry, clearing unused files and stuff like that.

Codmate: nice continuation/elaboration of the points I made. Thanks for your contribution to the thread. :)

Well, I just had to chime in one more time. Like I said before, I own both. When I weigh the costs vs. performance, options and flexibility, the G5 simply doesn't come out on top. The ONLY reason I have the G5 is so that I can run their Mac/Apple proprietary video editing software (Final Cut Studio). I really resent that the local college pushes this application when a more computer choice friendly application (AVID) exists.

Something about being railroaded into a single provider's hardware and software solution strokes me in the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, the MAC machine is nicely constructed, quiet and weighs in like a stack of bricks and it does perform well but hell...the price tag that came with it was out of line. My Pentum 4 3.2GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 1024 DDR, with 2 DVD/CDR drives, multimedia card reader, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, Pinnacle TV Tuner with wireless, 3 WD 80GB SATA Hard drives, Delta 1010LT, Klipsche THX speakers wireless keyboard/mouse and WinXP Pro was cheaper. Even if I wanted to spend more on the Mac, many of these items weren't even optional.

The point made by someone about XP crashing all the time...I have to take a stand on...I've been running this combo for a couple years now without a hitch and I use this machine for all sorts of crap. I keep the virus scanner up to date and try not to clutter the machine too much and it runs just fine. I've also worked some pretty good sized projects, I simply don't want or need "more computer" right now.

Sorry for the rant and to each their own...I'm sure I'll be getting a smack down any minute now.

Well...I'm in a huge minority here. I think it's all down to opinion and personal experience. My experience with Windows has not been good. That's probably because I did install a lot of crap on it, but at least I don't have to worry about that anymore...I can install pretty much anything on OSx and then not worry that it's going to bugger up my computer.

There are also loads of little things that make me prefer macs. The design, for one. Nearly every product Apple makes has a really neat design, and I think few would dispute that. That's not to say Windows computers don't have good designs, on my custom built one, I had a really nice case for it, but really, there's no flexibility to squash a computer into a Monitor as they did with the iMac.

For the note...you can switch off the animations in Mac Os X, and I have yet to come across any applications built for a single buttoned mouse...I find it weird that this could be a disadvantage anyway, because I'm not sure how it would make your experience any worse...

I'm with warble and codmate... I don't have trouble with XP anymore, since I have learned to keep everything "clean" so to speak. I thought Windows 98 sucked, but I like XP. It almost never crashes (once or twice in three years) and it is very customizable with tweaks, disabling services etc... It really wasn't that hard to learn how to manage the system either. Install some software and it basically manages itself. oh yeah, and Firefox helps too.

I have no experience with Macs, but the higher price is a turn-off for me, as is the lack of compatibility and availability for alot of software.

panoramical said:
Well...I'm in a huge minority here. I think it's all down to opinion and personal experience. My experience with Windows has not been good. That's probably because I did install a lot of crap on it, but at least I don't have to worry about that anymore...I can install pretty much anything on OSx and then not worry that it's going to bugger up my computer.

There are also loads of little things that make me prefer macs. The design, for one. Nearly every product Apple makes has a really neat design, and I think few would dispute that. That's not to say Windows computers don't have good designs, on my custom built one, I had a really nice case for it, but really, there's no flexibility to squash a computer into a Monitor as they did with the iMac.

For the note...you can switch off the animations in Mac Os X, and I have yet to come across any applications built for a single buttoned mouse...I find it weird that this could be a disadvantage anyway, because I'm not sure how it would make your experience any worse...

Good for you man. There is an element of taste and preference which really matters and it's a good thing that there are choices out there. I'm glad that things are working for you and for you to be bold and stand out in the crowd is good too.

More power (Mac) to ya! :D

The price of a mac draws me away from it. I mean for the price of a mac you can build a very fast lost of ram HD storage PC. Can you imagin the nice PC you can build with say $4000. heck with 4G's you can build a nice PC and buy a nice mic, audio interface, or a nice pre. I'm now drooling. I've never used a modern apple but I wouldnt mind trying it out. The school I work at has some really old mac's and I must say they still run. teachers still use them cause of the educational games on them. they are the ones that have the 5 1/2" floppy drive.now ask me if we still have PC's of that era running and I will say " ah..NO"

Back