Bought a pair of DBX 161 vintage compressors for $20 at a goodwill.

My kid has been buying 35mm cameras and lenses for cheap at the local Goodwill-type stores. Like a Nikon body and 3 or 4 lenses for under $50. Priced seperately on Ebay his purchases totalled out to being worth more then $400.

The local pawn shop had 4 Radial JDI's new in boxes for $125 ea. I picked up one and should have gone back for a second but now they are gone. But most of the used stuff they have is way overpriced.

man, i hear about all of these great pawn shop / goodwill deals, but never find them myself.

i look for music and photography gear, and so far i haven't found anything that i didn't think was overpriced by at least 25%.

good find, i'm just waiting for my day when God tells me something at a pawn shop or goodwill

All the stupid great deals from pawn shops died with the advent of the internet... Its just too easy to find out what something is really worth... and price accordingly. I've checked out a couple of pawn shops, and been amazed at what they're trying to get. But there's always that chance (like the Guitar Center List sale, which used to be an amazing opportunity to save tons, but has turned into the standard fair of jacking list price, to offer a bigger discount. The last one I attended I actually found a piece that had a sales price on it, that was significantly under the super discounted list price.

The only cheap gear I've gotten is lots of stuff that has been left at my house over the years when friends come to play or record. I've got a rad old 15" fender bass amp that a friend left behind and moved across the country, a super cool old nylon (probably a $300 classical, but it sounds cool), a super old delay/chorus pedal. So, I never have a problem having friends come over and play, then move across the country!

Back