Books on how to master

PPKing

Hi all

I use Logic Pro 9 and I'm now starting to record just acoustic guitar and vocals. Are there any really good books that people would recommend to take me through the process of mixing and mastering these two instruments in specific? Tips on EQ and Compression etc aimed towards acoustic guitar and vocals would be a big bonus :)

Paul

There are bunches of books on mixing technique. Bobby O's "Mixing Engineer's Handbook" seems to be a favorite of sorts (I've not read it, but several trusted ears recommend it regularly).

Mastering... Bob Katz's "Mastering Audio" is a nice read (I'm partial to page 207 myself), but it's more about the "care and feeding" of audio in general and a heavy helping of theory - not necessarily on mastering technique. At this point, I don't know of anything better than years of listening experience and study of the tools.

And just to side-note... "mixing and mastering these two instruments..." You don't master "these two instruments" -- Mastering is something you do to a collection of finished recordings. Just to be clear (as this is much more a mixing Q and would probably do much better in the right forum).

Back