Body shape idea based on a Tele

What do you think?

• Yea

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Nay

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
take a look at the carvin Holdsworth model...

I have.

HF2.jpg

Not the same by any means.

For me, and this is very subjective so take or leave it as you like, I would push the lower horn further out and use two different radii for the horn a smaller one on the inside cutaway and a smoother wider curve on the outside.

Ok, so the top horn is fairly standard but what you have there looks to my eye a little pregnant or amputated to my eye. This is all meant as constructive so please don't think I'm attacking it. The other idea you may you may want to play with is to cut the lower horn off almost completely. Sort of Maccaferri.

I spend a lot of time when drawing up new outlines and tinker endlessly with them. It's surprising how shifting a curve or line just a tiny bit can dramatically change the visual balance. So have fun with it.

Having said all that those are only my observations and it's your guitar. What you have there will work just fine if it's what you like go for it I'm sure it will look great and it will be yours and something to be proud of.

Do you have an existing tele outline to use as a starting point that you can trace over as you play with it. PM me if you need one.;)

For me, and this is very subjective so take or leave it as you like, I would push the lower horn further out and use two different radii for the horn a smaller one on the inside cutaway and a smoother wider curve on the outside.

Ok, so the top horn is fairly standard but what you have there looks to my eye a little pregnant or amputated to my eye. This is all meant as constructive so please don't think I'm attacking it. The other idea you may you may want to play with is to cut the lower horn off almost completely. Sort of Maccaferri.

I spend a lot of time when drawing up new outlines and tinker endlessly with them. It's surprising how shifting a curve or line just a tiny bit can dramatically change the visual balance. So have fun with it.

Having said all that those are only my observations and it's your guitar. What you have there will work just fine if it's what you like go for it I'm sure it will look great and it will be yours and something to be proud of.

Do you have an existing tele outline to use as a starting point that you can trace over as you play with it. PM me if you need one.;)

First off, I'm not set on the design that's why I am asking for people's opinions. I appreciate the comments a lot.

Secondly, The first idea I had was to ditch the horn all together but couldn't seem to find anything (in my head) that worked visually. This was sort of the compromise between no horn and a standard Tele horn.

The Maccaferri idea needs to be looked at for sure.

I used the maccaferri style cutaway on this one. It's not Macafferri and and it's not a tele and you will find similar I'm sure but that was my thought process.

Like I said though play with it until you have what you like. It's your idea and your outline.It is a lot cheaper to experiment on paper than with wood though.;)

Attachments

• DJfront.jpg
    DJfront.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 62
I used the maccaferri style cutaway on this one. It's not Macafferri and and it's not a tele and you will find similar I'm sure but that was my thought process.

Like I said though play with it until you have what you like. It's your idea and your outline.It is a lot cheaper to experiment on paper than with wood though.;)

My Gawd that's beautiful!

My Gawd that's beautiful!

Yeh, to be honest I was very pleased with it but I have to be honest and say that a lot of the input came from the customer. He had the idea and we spent a good deal of time pouring over the fine detail of the curves and outline. My experience and eye with his vision came up with a winner. I don't always get that lucky.

To get back on topic though I always wanted to apply the same sort of cutaway to a tele and maybe a similar f hole on a thinline. Thats what made me mention it.

It sounds pretty good too.;)

What difference does the body shape or mass make in the ultimate tone of a solid body electric? I'm thinking mass might do something for ya' but at some point weight has to be an issue. Shit they swiss cheese Les Pauls nowadays. Does the surface area of the body affect tone and is it different with different woods?

I'm just curious where form meets function on electrics. Why would you want to copy a tele w/slight modification? Is it a visual appeal you are looking for or is there more to it?

lou

What difference does the body shape or mass make in the ultimate tone of a solid body electric? I'm thinking mass might do something for ya' but at some point weight has to be an issue. Shit they swiss cheese Les Pauls nowadays. Does the surface area of the body affect tone and is it different with different woods?

I'm just curious where form meets function on electrics. Why would you want to copy a tele w/slight modification? Is it a visual appeal you are looking for or is there more to it?

lou

Essentially it is a function thing. The actual weight and ergonomic is more important with solid bodies where the sound is more dependant on the signal chain than an acoustic where you have to get the function bang on. Add to that the sound is pretty subjective.

On an acoustic instrument where the signal chain goes, finger > string > bridge/saddle > top/body/cavity > air > ear, it's more critical to get thing right.

Where as on an electric it goes, finger > string > pickup > many many cables/processing units/ pedals/effects/amp/speaker > air, then the chain is not as dependant on the guitar itself. That isn't to say that the guitar it self isn't unimportant, of course it is, but the sound itself is more dependant on both form and function on acoustic instruments. Less wiggle room really.

lou

To add I really wouldn't worry too much about the actual mass as long as it's comfortable and balanced. Mass doesn't in and of itself give a better or worse sound than a lighter guitar, just a different sound.

it's OBVIOUSLY not the same.

not the point.

in your topic header, you said 'based on a tele'

Thanks, Mutt. At some point I'd like to explore this further - perhaps another thread. For the OP - Why start with a Tele shape? Is it just 'cause you like the basic look and want something close but different?

lou

Thanks, Mutt. At some point I'd like to explore this further - perhaps another thread. For the OP - Why start with a Tele shape? Is it just 'cause you like the basic look and want something close but different?

lou

That is as good a reason as any though. We all take from what we admire and tweak it to what we want.

As I said it's really Micters call. It's his build and only he can decide what will be good for him.

Personally I'm a big fan of tele's right now and my favorite guit is a tele I finshed a few months back.

Take your thoughts to another thread whenever you like lou. Happy to comment if you want.

lou

I just built a "different" Tele and really like it. I was just thinking of taking the "different" to another level.

Here's a link to the thread on the last one. https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=290717

I remember that thread. Are you going to build the neck from scratch this time? I'm sure you could.

What are your current thoughts on pickups, bridge for this one as well as the other fittings.

Chrome hardware, Floyd Rose, black double binding, natural finish (Nitro) Reverse Tele headstock Vintage finish, one SD Mini JB (Strat style) still thinking on this one, one volume (push pull splitter)

I ordered a neck from Warmoth. With the 20% off this month from their in stock page I got a finished neck for $148.00. I did a lot of the work on the last one so I know I can make a neck but it just didn't seem worth it to me at that price.

Chrome hardware, Floyd Rose, black double binding, natural finish (Nitro) Reverse Tele headstock Vintage finish, one SD Mini JB (Strat style) still thinking on this one, one volume (push pull splitter)

I ordered a neck from Warmoth. With the 20% off this month from their in stock page I got a finished neck for $148.00. I did a lot of the work on the last one so I know I can make a neck but it just didn't seem worth it to me at that price.

Sounds good go for it. Not a fan of bound back tele's but that's just me. Keep us posted.

I just built a "different" Tele and really like it. I was just thinking of taking the "different" to another level.

Here's a link to the thread on the last one. https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=290717

That looked pretty cool.

So you like the Tele shape as a starting point. The inspiration is entirely visual and/or ergonomic as opposed to trying to maximize the sound transference properties of the wood or shape?

lou

Back