Body shape idea based on a Tele

What do you think?

• Yea

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Nay

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
That looked pretty cool.

So you like the Tele shape as a starting point. The inspiration is entirely visual and/or ergonomic as opposed to trying to maximize the sound transference properties of the wood or shape?

lou

Actually? I mostly play Gibson Flying V's. I dunno about a Tele being more ergonomic but it sure feels good to play. (That's a joke) ;) In all honesty, I just liked the new Charvel San Dimas Tele but didn't like the colors so I chose to make my own. After that one was done I wanted another one but chambered swamp ash instead of Koa as well as I needed (OK wanted) to use the walnut top that has been laying around for a couple years. I think you might be reading more into this than is actually there. I'm just not smart enough to figure all that stuff out. I have a lot of Strats, Les Pauls, V's etc but nothing like a super Tele a la Charvel. Well until the last build. So, I am on a Floyd Rose Tele kick. :o

Actually? I mostly play Gibson Flying V's. I dunno about a Tele being more ergonomic but it sure feels good to play. (That's a joke) ;) In all honesty, I just liked the new Charvel San Dimas Tele but didn't like the colors so I chose to make my own. After that one was done I wanted another one but chambered swamp ash instead of Koa as well as I needed (OK wanted) to use the walnut top that has been laying around for a couple years. I think you might be reading more into this than is actually there. I'm just not smart enough to figure all that stuff out. I have a lot of Strats, Les Pauls, V's etc but nothing like a super Tele a la Charvel. Well until the last build. So, I am on a Floyd Rose Tele kick. :o
No that's cool. I don't think there are any bad reasons to build what you want. I don't have the patience or skill but I may some day commission something. I like the old Vox teardrop and paddle stuff.

"I'm just not smart enough to figure all that stuff out." - Me either but it's intriguing. If you go on some high-end guitar websites you hear all this talk about the natural acoustic properties of "old wood" and that's why a '59 'Burst is so sought after, blah, blah, blah. I admit I'd love to own one but I'd just cash the fucker in and buy a Ferrari (or two). How much of that talk is BS I wonder?

Anyway, keep on keeping on. I envy your abilities.

lou

No that's cool. I don't think there are any bad reasons to build what you want. I don't have the patience or skill but I may some day commission something. I like the old Vox teardrop and paddle stuff.

"I'm just not smart enough to figure all that stuff out." - Me either but it's intriguing. If you go on some high-end guitar websites you hear all this talk about the natural acoustic properties of "old wood" and that's why a '59 'Burst is so sought after, blah, blah, blah. I admit I'd love to own one but I'd just cash the fucker in and buy a Ferrari (or two). How much of that talk is BS I wonder?

Anyway, keep on keeping on. I envy your abilities.

lou

Ya know, I'm not sure I buy into all the "old wood" stuff on electrics. On acoustics? That's another story. I have two Gibson V's (I used to have 3 but sold one) All the same model, around the same year and one just sounds way better than the one I sold and slightly better than the other one I kept. I have owned lots of Strats over the years and there is one that outshines them all. It's an ESP custom shop alder body. The thing just rings out with tone even unplugged. I think there are some chunks of wood that just work for a guitar and others that don't work as well. All my best guitars seem to be about 10 years old with the exception of that Koa Tele. They have all sounded great from the get go.

:rolleyes:

170 hits and 3 votes
Well, it's kinda hard to give a yes or no. My vote would be no, but not because it sucks, rather because I don't really like the somewhat bulbous look of it.

See, to me, Tele's are a classic shape, so anything that looks like a Tele (but isn't) looks "wrong"... it's hard reinventing a classic in any way that will look "right"... if you follow me.

That said, how about more of a Toronado/Jaguar/Jazzmaster type shape on the lower horn? Cutting it down a bit more? Or maybe taking the curve that is currently on the horn, and using that for the cutaway, and the curve that is currently on the cutaway as the horn curve? All a bit tricky to say "do this" - it's down to what you want or like in the end.

Well, it's kinda hard to give a yes or no. My vote would be no, but not because it sucks, rather because I don't really like the somewhat bulbous look of it.

See, to me, Tele's are a classic shape, so anything that looks like a Tele (but isn't) looks "wrong"... it's hard reinventing a classic in any way that will look "right"... if you follow me.

That said, how about more of a Toronado/Jaguar/Jazzmaster type shape on the lower horn? Cutting it down a bit more? Or maybe taking the curve that is currently on the horn, and using that for the cutaway, and the curve that is currently on the cutaway as the horn curve? All a bit tricky to say "do this" - it's down to what you want or like in the end.

Naw, Ideas are good.

:rolleyes:

170 hits and 3 votes

I didn't vote but took the time th post some ideas and my view on it. I think i the end that will be better for you and your getting good feedback on it should you want it. It's all good.

What Slowmotion says about reworking classic shapes is good point and I wouldn't stray too far from the original. It's a bit like a covers band, covering songs is OK but there are some tunes that the audience will always turn to each other and say, "that's not as good as the original" no matter how ell you cover them. Thats because they will always have the original version in mind when they hear it not because you did a bad cover of it.

Oooh I like binding on Teles. Is it tough to do? Do you paint over it and scrap it back?

Done properly it's glued into a channel thats routed into the body. The binding is bent, glued in and scraped flush. You can also add purfling which are the lines that show on the face of the guitar. It's not hard to do but can be a bit fiddly if your not sure how. Different styles and types of binding and guitars present different challenges.

Painted on or scraped back through a colour coat binding is known as Faux binding and is common on things like the prs range.

The purpose of binding is to protect the edge of the guitar and seal off the endgrain, prevent splits on the top from happening and to add support to the top/ side/ back joints on acoustics or hollow bodies.

muttley600

"Say what?.........."

well, you must be confused by not really reading the thread.

i'll try to clear it up..

micter posted a question, and asked: "
Body shape idea based on a Tele"

i suggested looking at the carvin holdsworth.

micter said:
I have. Not the same by any means.

but it is very similar, in terms of body shape, which was the original question he asked.

then micter said:
First off, I'm not set on the design that's why I am asking for people's opinions.

so I replied:
it's OBVIOUSLY not the same. not the point. in your topic header, you said 'based on a tele'

so, i hope this helps.

muttley600

well, you must be confused by not really reading the thread.

i'll try to clear it up..

micter posted a question, and asked: "

i suggested looking at the carvin holdsworth.

micter said:

but it is very similar, in terms of body shape, which was the original question he asked.

then micter said:

so I replied:

so, i hope this helps.

I was a bit confused too...quoting is always a good move.

you know, the tele is a GREAT body shape to jump off of.....

it's so basic, and straightforward.
i've seen some cool variations..

the best PLAYING variation of the tele i've played, is the carvin TL60, because the neck thru makes for no heel, and it's super smooth.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=tl60

95891b.jpg

you know, the tele is a GREAT body shape to jump off of.....

it's so basic, and straightforward.
i've seen some cool variations..

the best PLAYING variation of the tele i've played, is the carvin TL60, because the neck thru makes for no heel, and it's super smooth.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=tl60

95891b.jpg

I've played and worked on quite a few TL60's. I'm not a big fan of neck throughs but I agree the heel on them makes for a great feel. The more I ponder this build I start to lean back to the original design. I keep looking at my Koa Tele and it just works. I'm leaning NOT done thinking about it.

Back