Blue Bluebird... SCORE!(and comparisons)

battleminnow

What's this button do?
I just picked up a BLUE Bluebird from a friend for $200 and a year old Small Clone chorus pedal. He won it in a contest and is upgrading! Yay me!

First impressions:

Compared it with the Studio Projects B1, and the biggest surprise to me was that the hot, hot, hot output of the Bluebird was equally matched by the B1. Both of these are very high output. These mics sound very similar at first, but the more I listened the more I noticed a high midrange that was lacking in the B1. I have always been an advocate of the B1 on certain sources, but compared to the Bluebird, the B1 seemed to have an unflattering, airy lack of presence that I had not noticed before.

Pulled out my KSM27 and A-B'ed them, and the first striking thing was the approximately 4-6db gain difference. The KSM is much darker, where the Bluebird is bright but not sibilant. A little gain adjustment to the KSM27 really showed me how different two mid level mics can be in sound. I can see the KSM working well for a voice that needs the mid and highs tamed, or a very aggressive vocalist, and I would imagine the Bluebird is very nice on acoustic guitar, among other things.

More info as I enjoy this new toy.

Pete

but would you say that the B1 is lacking in the upper mid, or is the BB bumped in that region? I thought the B1 was suppose to be pretty flat.

notCardio said:
but would you say that the B1 is lacking in the upper mid, or is the BB bumped in that region? I thought the B1 was suppose to be pretty flat.

I felt like it was lacking, IMO. Chain was mic>cranberry cable>Mackie Onyx, and I couldn't put my finger on how to EQ it to make it sound the same. Almost like the Parameter on the Onyx wouldn't let me make the precise adjustment. Maybe I will run a graphic EQ into the mix and play around.

Best way to describe it is that it sounded "thin" up there compared to the Bluebird, and the Bluebird seemed more natural.

Pete

Back