Blood exchange - special song after a long break

Minism

Hello all!

After a long break I decided to come back to recording/mixing and would like to share a song that is very special to me :) Therefore, I want to see how good I can make it sound without a real recording studio. I think currently it sounds ok, but not great.

What do you think about the vocals? Aren't guitars in need of a bit more 'oomph' (especially in choruses and the second verse)? Perhaps double tracking or more guitar tracks in general? Are the drums eq'ed alright? Isn't guitar solo (starting 3:24) a bit too dark? Are low frequencies not too boomy and not too thin?

This is without any mastering on, done mainly on my headphones and monitor.

All the critique is very very welcome. Thank you!

Regards
Minism

Hi.
I think the sharp is a bit to loud. The other instruments are getting burred somewhat.
my 2-cent
-einar-

On headphones it takes a while for the hard panned intro guitar to get balanced out by the other instruments. I'd be tempted to double track that and pan to the other side. Nice cruisy groove. Kind of interrupted by that section at 2.10. Sometimes the end result is better when you remove stuff. Vocals are good, remind me of Lou Reed. Good jam

First off I Really like the chord progression. The drums do sound a little loud to me , but I really think the other instrument tracks are Low. I would mute all the vocals and try getting the other tracks to sit better with the drums before mixing the vocals back in. I'm also thinking it's missing some clarity like it needs some low shelf reduction , maybe somewhere around 125 hz and a small boost around 2 to 3 k. Vocally , I like the quality and thickness of your voice and the backing vocal was Real nice. Good job .. mark

First off I Really like the chord progression. The drums do sound a little loud to me , but I really think the other instrument tracks are Low. I would mute all the vocals and try getting the other tracks to sit better with the drums before mixing the vocals back in. I'm also thinking it's missing some clarity like it needs some low shelf reduction , maybe somewhere around 125 hz and a small boost around 2 to 3 k. Vocally , I like the quality and thickness of your voice and the backing vocal was Real nice. Good job .. mark
Thanks Mark! It definitely makes sense. I assume you meant vocals lack clarity?

Sorry I took so long getting back. Actually I thought it was the main mix that needed more clarity. Mild Master track EQ, ms

Back