"Black" - Me and Mizzi Mining the Metal Again! maxi + joeym + kceal - A three way!

maximusbs

Brad Smith Music
"Black" - Me and Mizzi Mining the Metal Again! maxi + joeym + kceal - A three way!

I wrote the song, Joe saved it from extinction (joeym - vocals), and Keith (kcearl - keys) gave me a bunch of keyboard tracks to whittle down and weave into the tune (no, really Keith, they're in there, listen closely ;)) - I suck at those cool noises that only Keith can do! :D

Please let us know what you think.

http://soundcloud.com/bjsmusic/black-1 (remixed 11-8-10)

Last edited:
I think as a keyboard instrumental, without drums and guitars, this would excel :D

this is great Brad...very well done, good mix of things going on...vocals and guitar are excellent...mix sounded nice to me..very thick mix on my PC speakers, but still separated...didnt have any issue with the kick..and I could hear the touches of keys, they sounded good in the chorus, well chosen..

great job all round mate..Ill be listening to this a few times today :)

I love these collabs between you guys, and it's nice to see Keith in the mix on this one. Great song, Brad! I really like it when you write in this style, Castles Fall was also a favorite of mine, this sounds at home right next to it, and I think it's really good. I loved the guitar solo. Nice use of the keyboards in the chorus to add interest, it sounds really current that way too. Very cool.

Joe, your voice is stellar as always. I really like the background and accents too.

Mix-wise, the drums seemed a little low to me. So did the vocals, but they may be just right for the style, so take that with a grain of salt.

Nice work, keep 'em coming!

Best Regards,

Dave DeWhitt
http://www.soundclick.com/davedewhitt

Great tune! Listening in cans. The guitars could be spread out a bit more in the audio spectrum. Might let the bass gtr shine through a bit more. Kick does sound good but I'd like to hear a bit more snare and the cymbals are pretty much buried. In fact the whole thing could use a bit of air, but that's just me.

Hey, Joey! That you doing all the bgv's? I'd like to hear them a bit more up front as well.

Good job all around, guys!!!!!

It's not bad. Joey's vocals rule as always. He's got the best pipes in here for this kind of stuff.

The mix is kind of dark and lifeless. Not much space and clarity. The drums sound very centered and small. I'd say maybe cut some of the lows from the guitars and try to get em wider, then fill in the rest with bigger drum presence. See what happens.

Keith - You must of missed your keyboard instrumental! It was that 5 second dealio in the beginning. :D
Thanks for the nice comments and for your contribution- I've been wanting that dynamic for a long time in one of my tunes, but I'm too lame!

7string - Thanks for giving it a listen. I gave some attention to the bass, cymbals, snare and guitars today. cymbals are still a little 'shy', but I don't like em anyway :D

Dave - Thanks for the comments and compliments. I gave those drums a kick in arse today, now I might have to kick Joe in arse too!! The cycle begins :eek: I feel your pain!

Greg - I worked with the guitars eq and spread them out more. Since there's a lot of tom-tom action in this, I noticed that the toms were not properly spread and pulled them further apart. I did not add any compression to drums or guitars this time, so getting those drums out there without poking the ear now and then was harder. I raised the cymbals a tic and kissed the drum buss with a high lift to 'lighten' the mix. Thanks. :cool:

i woke up for my usual 3am piss this morning...and had the chorus running through my head...still is

This hasnt happened since the last track Joey sang on...guys, please, I dont even like rock that much...gimme back my brain!

2nd mix is better Brad...I never spotted anything wrong with the first one but that is an improvenment

i woke up for my usual 3am piss this morning...and had the chorus running through my head...still is

This hasnt happened since the last track Joey sang on...guys, please, I dont even like rock that much...gimme back my brain!

2nd mix is better Brad...I never spotted anything wrong with the first one but that is an improvenment

lmao! :laughings: I'm so glad we could provide a soundtrack for your 3am morning piss!! When you drink a gallon (that's more than a few 'pints' where you come from :p) of beer before bedtime this is bound to happen. :drunk: Thank God I'm not waking up with "homo-infested" rave party music in my head! Ha-ha, we'll make a rocker outta you yet! This is a good sign, keep up with the rock-n-roll happy thoughts cuz my blues-rocker is a brewin' away in my little brain and I'm gonna need ya! ;)
:D

you need to do another collab with Joe...I went to the toilet tune free this morning :)

Can I get a 320kbps version?

Oh and as for making me a rocka...Ive got a D&B track on the boil that would take Rock into a dark alley and kick its stones up into its throat then spend the contents of its wallet in the bar on wood alcohol and meth before murdering Rocks girlfriend for kicks!! lol

Yeah, guys... This kicks. I'd love to offer to do drums again, but the last time I tried, I didn't have enough time to get em' done properly. I have even less time now.

Brad + Keith + Joey seems to produce some top-notch rock! Keep it flowin', guys!

Great tune guys - I don't have a problem with the mix. Everything seems to have a good level and nice tones. Another great collab - there's been several hasn't there? Love this stuff!

you need to do another collab with Joe...I went to the toilet tune free this morning :)

Can I get a 320kbps version?

Oh and as for making me a rocka...Ive got a D&B track on the boil that would take Rock into a dark alley and kick its stones up into its throat then spend the contents of its wallet in the bar on wood alcohol and meth before murdering Rocks girlfriend for kicks!! lol

:laughings: You are scary sir! I hope your wife doesn't let you out often. :eek:

Yeah, guys... This kicks. I'd love to offer to do drums again, but the last time I tried, I didn't have enough time to get em' done properly. I have even less time now.

Brad + Keith + Joey seems to produce some top-notch rock! Keep it flowin', guys!

Jason, Thanks for the listen. I do love your drum sound...one of these days..
You know what's cool though about us home recorders? Most of us have full time jobs and families/responsibilities and we still manage to produce some pretty good stuff. I look forward to hearing your next tune when you have time. I might be on hiatus myself here with the holidays coming - I might have to emerge from my 'man cave' once in awhile! Damn!

Great tune guys - I don't have a problem with the mix. Everything seems to have a good level and nice tones. Another great collab - there's been several hasn't there? Love this stuff!

Thanks man! Yea, this our third...2 hard rock/metal and 1 classic rock. I/we appreciate you stopping by for our latest.. :D:cool:

Back