birthday overheads

random.hero

ok for my birthday my parents bought me some mics to use for overheads. they went down to guitar center and got 2 audio technica vx1 VOCAL mics
to use as overheads... apparently the guy that sold them was really pushing them as a good idea for overhead mics. i just thought that logically something like the
behringer c2studio condernsers (matched pair)
would be a better idea. im well aware behringer can hand out some shitty equipment but i understand from the behringer poll that their stuff is good for the money. am i wrong on this? are the vx1's the best way to go? (they got them buy one get one free). is there a better way to get overhead miking done for around $50?
(i understand the quality isnt great at this price, but im learning more about techniques and such)

thanks in advance :)

Get your money back! At that price you could get two Niant mics. You'll be much happier.

The person at GC was clueless. I don't think anybody uses dynamic mics for overheads... well, not moving coil dynamics, anyway. The frequency response on those mics stops at 12 kHz. That should tell you something right there. A good mic for overheads should be basically flat from 30 Hz–20 kHz, though the bottom end is flexible to a limited degree. That's exactly the opposite of what you'd get from a vocal mic, which will tend to make the cymbals sound very harsh and dull at the same time.

That said, the Behringer mics aren't a good choice, either. A couple of possibilities for the same or similar cost:

MXL 990 SDC (MDC)
MXL V63M LDC
Nady RSM-4 Ribbon

With the caveat that the third one needs relatively clean pres....

Oh, wait, you said they cost you only $50 for the pair? Nope. Can't think of anything that cheap that I think is good for overheads (or even usable). You could make do with a pair of MSH-2 mics, I suppose, but omni mics definitely wouldn't be my first choice unless your room is very well treated.

My advice would be to take them back and get a single good mic and then match it later with a second one of whatever model you choose. IMHO, you're better off with one good overhead than two dynamic vocal mics.

I agree, go get your money back and get one decent condenser. There's no point in going stereo if you're not getting the whole picture.

thanks for the help guys, yeah that kind of pisses me off. who the fuck sells vocal mics to two clueless middle aged people trying to find overheads for their son!? the twats at guitar center, thats who. im sure there are knowledgable employees at gc, but if you dont know what you're talking about, dont act like you do. damn. sorry for the rant, had to vent it somewhere.

naiant eh? i might give those a try

As said, unless you have a well treated room, Naiants are not going to be forgiving and most likely you will not like the result. A cardioid condenser (or two) is what you should be looking for.

Back