Beyer M201

CanopuS

Amateur music since 1847
I'm intruiged by this mic, I'd love to hear some info about it. The most I ever seem to find is its ability as a replacement for the SM57. Essentially, I'd like a dynamic that I could use for snare (I don't actually have anything that could fit that role at the moment except maybe a SP B1), that I could use for guitar amps and possible instruments such as saxaphone, trumpet and clarinet. The only problem is, I'd quite like to use it on voice too. I know it's hard to say whether it would be suitable for a particular voice... (though if it helps mine is quite soft and breathy but with a hard edge that the SP B1 really brings out and totally doesn't work for me - for that reason I'd like something that doesn't have a huge boost at around 6-8k) but I'd love to hear if anyone had used it for this.

Basically I'd love to hear from anyone who has used it, and what instruments they've used it for. Of course sound clips would be great!

If it helps, I have ACCESS to these mics:

SP C4 pair
SP B1
Red5 Rvd1 (not used it yet though)
and a few other not so respectable mics such as Shure PG57

and these preamps:

VTB-1
DMP3
and those built into the Lexicon Omega

Thanks guys!

I don't think the 201 works on voice at all. Maybe try an MD421, it should work for all that--I'm not a fan of the 421 on vocal, but it's better than a 201, and many other people like it for vocals.

For a Beyer to cover all that, I'd pick the M88, which I really like on vocals.

Or you could look on eBay for a Beyer Soundstar MKII (AKA M300/400). Those do work on vocals and you can pick them up for less than £60. Usually.

I have one and I use it on snare. Its definately a great mic- alot like an SM57, but the difference in sound quality between the two isnt astounding in my opinion. One thing about the 201 is that it has a really high SPL which makes it good for snare. Also it has a hypercardiod pattern, also making it good for snare (cuts out high hat bleed). Its also pretty tiny and can get into the cracks of a drum set.
Its a GREAT mic for snare, but if you want more versitility, go for the MD421- you wont be dissapointed

My opinion of the M201 vs. SM57.

The SM57 gets a great snare "sound" and/or pop. Its midrange qualities really bring a snare up front but it lacks clarity.

The M201 brings out the complete, natural sound of a snare. I can hear the shell, strainers and skins. It almost seems like the body of the M201 helps with the sound but thats crazy, right? :p

I'll save the '57s for live shows but for recording the M201 gets the spot on the snare.

Have I tried the M201 for other things? No way! That baby NEVER leaves the snare drum! ;)

I'll second third and fourth the 201 for snare and as a snappy natural rack tom mic also.It really shines on snare though as does its little brother the Beyer 422.And its true, most microphone bodies greatly effect the tonality of the mic.Those of you who have purchased and are using an MK319 Octava would do well to look into some of the modifications for these...One of which is a changing of its resonance within the body structure.It makes them sound much more 'centered' and tight. The 201 is not a terrible vocal mic...its just that a lot of others are much much better.

wesley tanner said:
yeah, someone just robbed me of a 201 in the last 5 seconds on ebay--his name on there is "robs good stuff"

jerk.

I saw that auction. It was a used mic and went for $164.50 delivered. Try Full Compass, you may get one for about $20-30 more NIB. I bought the last one they put on ebay for $177 plus shipping ($7-8 IIRC). Once you factor in the warranty and mic clip, its a MUCH better deal. Beyer clips are AWSOME! I wish ALL my clips were Beyers!

The M201 isn't bad at all on vocals, it's a great snare mic, but it'll do very well on a number of other applications like kick, especially when you have to record a double head kick without a hole, put the 201 on the beater side and another mic on the front.

I've had great results with a 201 on hi hat, ride cymbal, trumpet and percussion, I haven't used it on woodwinds like sax, but I'm sure it will do very good.

What characteristics of the microphone do you think makes it good/bad for vocals? And IF you were to use it on vocals what kind of voice would be suited to it?

Thanks for all the opinions so far, I appreciate it :)

CanopuS said:
What characteristics of the microphone do you think makes it good/bad for vocals? And IF you were to use it on vocals what kind of voice would be suited to it?

It just sounds clinical to me. The same characteristics that make it good on drums: sharp, tight, not muddy. I don't think it's very flattering.

If I had to, I would use it on a trained singer who could project, at about 12" away.

It's funny I'm looking at the specs for the M88 & M201 and they don't look that different. Part of it is the M88 can be easily used as a close-mic and even hand held without trouble, and has a nice proximity effect. The M201, not so much.

The 201 is one of the truly great mics ever made. There is nothing I find more useful for close micing drums than the 201. It is great on snares, both top and bottom, on toms, and I have even used it on hi hats with success (of course, just about anything on a hi hat will work, what with how little use hi hat mics are). Also great for close micing of congas and bongos, though its hypercardioid pattern means that you do need to mic each piece. You can't really use just one for two toms, for instance. Its pattern does, however, do a rather nice job of rejecting hi hats when on the top of a snare. It is nice on guitar amps, though it is no better than a 57 as far as I am concerned.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

mshilarious said:
It just sounds clinical to me. The same characteristics that make it good on drums: sharp, tight, not muddy. I don't think it's very flattering.

Sounds like a reasonable BGV mic? With some kind of wind or pop shield, maybe?

this week i bought my first 201
brandnew for €150
thats twice the price of a 57 but i like it,
i had lots of trouble with bleed from the hihat
(i do have a loud hihat)
it does help, and i'm fiddling less with EQ now, and well,
i'm not sure, but it seemed that my (old) sm57 could distort
a tiny little bit on my snare, maybe cause its been used for years....

i'm not putting my 57's back on my snare now :)
its worth the money, but like other people say:
its awesome for snare, but "only" for snare

my md421 gets used on kick, toms, vocals, guitar...

Any good reason I shouldn't use the foam windscreen that came with them (since it's all I have, and can afford, right now)?

Mark7 said:
Any good reason I shouldn't use the foam windscreen that came with them (since it's all I have, and can afford, right now)?

Hmmm, those struck me as kind of thick, but it's worth a shot. Beyer's first use listed for the mic in their manual is an audience talkback mic (!), so I think they went on the conservative side with the windscreen.

CanopuS said:
I'm intruiged by this mic, I'd love to hear some info about it. The most I ever seem to find is its ability as a replacement for the SM57. Essentially, I'd like a dynamic that I could use for snare (I don't actually have anything that could fit that role at the moment except maybe a SP B1), that I could use for guitar amps and possible instruments such as saxaphone, trumpet and clarinet. The only problem is, I'd quite like to use it on voice too. I know it's hard to say whether it would be suitable for a particular voice... (though if it helps mine is quite soft and breathy but with a hard edge that the SP B1 really brings out and totally doesn't work for me - for that reason I'd like something that doesn't have a huge boost at around 6-8k) but I'd love to hear if anyone had used it for this.

Basically I'd love to hear from anyone who has used it, and what instruments they've used it for. Of course sound clips would be great!

If it helps, I have ACCESS to these mics:

SP C4 pair
SP B1
Red5 Rvd1 (not used it yet though)
and a few other not so respectable mics such as Shure PG57

and these preamps:

VTB-1
DMP3
and those built into the Lexicon Omega

Thanks guys!
The SP B1 sucks on snare… don't get me wrong, it’s an ok general purpose type mic for beginners on a tight budget… but the SP B1 isn’t even in the same league as the Beyer M201... the M201 blows the B1 away. The Beyer M201 is an awesome mic... and it's my favorite snare mic. The M201 also sounds great on lot’s of other stuff too (vox, gtr, amps, etc)… the Beyer M201 is a "must have" mic IMO.

PS... as noted above, the MD421, and M88 are both very versatile and awesome sounding mics.

Last edited:
Back