Better interface needed (currently using Audiobox USB)

That's actually the exact reason I didn't get the Tascam. Glad to hear it worked out for you! But it's just way to big for my tiny closet of an apartment. In order to stay under budget, I'm thinking of getting any of the following second-hand to stay under a $300 budget: 2i4, saffire pro 14, apogee duet, tc electronic impact twin, edirol ua-25ex.

I was actually thinking of an audiobox, as I'm mainly looking for a low-latency interface with mix control and decent preamps, but what you and others have said about the popping is turning me off.

The tascam looks like exactly what I need, but that darn thing is just too big for me! Either way, great job on the buy and good luck

Just a thought: The 1800 does not care where you place it. Some twist ties to the legs of your desk and presto! Space management at its finest! lol!

Well, you will have to lay down to make connections... But if space is the issue, then make space. :)

You mentioned 'mix control'. Please describe what you mean by that.

It ended up sliding perfectly under a bunch of things on the desk, so in my case the size isn't much of a factor. I also have limited space since my computer room/recording space is shared with the GF.

That's the thing, I don't have room for a desk :(

My place is a small 320 sq ft apartment shared with the gf, where my interface goes on top of the coffee table or kitchen table depending on whether I'm on the couch or sitting on the table. Seriously no room for my own desk, which would be ideal, and that's even with my guitars hanging on the wall and my interface and mic tucked away in a bag in a box. So long as I'm living here, I need a 1/3 rack or 1/2 rack (max) sized interface, and I can't even use condensers since I can't acoustically treat this place in a way that makes sense and won't get me castrated by the lady....

So for now, what I'm trying to do is upgrade my interface, get a nice dynamic or 2 to record better-quality demos, then go to my buddy's studio where he has fantastic amps, mic pres, effects pedals, an isolation booth, acoustic treatment, etc.

So in this tiny apartment, I'm thinking of getting a TC Electronic Active Twin interface (which I'd never heard of before but seem very impressive considering I can get them for about 200 bucks ie the price of a 2i4) and an SM58. Next place we move, I'll bee sure to have my own man cave, at which point I'll get serious about acoustic treatment, better amps, a nice condenser or 2, etc....

But hey, glad to hear you found what you needed! You never know how badly you need a desk until you're thrown into a tiny european apartment haha

The Tassy 1800 goes from strength to strength!
I always understood it to be a generally good all round multi-input AI but now it seems it is no slouch in the latency stakes!

But for those that want fewer inputs and a more compact (and bus powered) solution many here will know (ad.n!) that I very strongly suggest people try the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. There is, AFAIK, no AI with faster or better drivers at the price or indeed until you reach the heady heights of RME.

Two mic/line/intru' inputs and two more balanced line inputs, 4 outs, MIDI and S/PDIF.

On a modest HP 2X 2.7G AMD PC I could run the box at 32samples but don't since it is more than fast enough for my needs at 128 and dead solid.

Re the Delta cards? I have read of this "incompatibility" before but am unable to pin it down.
I run two 2496 cards no bother in a fairly modern Asus M5A97 LE 2.0

Dave.

Funny, the NI KA6 was my first choice, but went with the 1800 because it was rack mount. Only complaint with the 1800 is lack of master volume...that would make it perfect. I've noticed the mike pres are a lot different color than my M-Audio Firewire was. My vocals have a lot more mid (which isn't very flattering) and I have to do some EQ tweaking.

Funny, the NI KA6 was my first choice, but went with the 1800 because it was rack mount. Only complaint with the 1800 is lack of master volume...that would make it perfect. I've noticed the mike pres are a lot different color than my M-Audio Firewire was. My vocals have a lot more mid (which isn't very flattering) and I have to do some EQ tweaking.

Funny! How many people have heard of, thought about, bought the KA6 but say nothing until I mention it!

For anyone running a laptop in a very confined space and wants top quality and, effectively, a monitor controller it is the dog's danglers.

A rack unit? I have said it here before. I do not know WTF NI do not build on the fine reputation of the KA6 and build a bigger version? A rack mount unit might have limited appeal but a free stander with 8 mic ins plus ADAT would I am sure do very well.

Not to compete with the 1800, no I think Tascam have that "value" market sewn up. But if NI can keep the quality and fabulously low latency in a multi-tracker to rival the Presonus, Focusrite and Rolands of this audio/PC world I reckon they would be on a winner.

I am, of course entirely at their disposal should they want a field tester!

Dave.

When you say master volume, what do you mean, output volume? What is that "monitor knob" for on the 1800?

Just a little confused by the statement.

Even an free standing 18/18 or better with ears to make it rack mountable. A two space unit with that fabulous big knob would make me sell my 1800 in a heartbeat. Seriously. KA18??? Please ????

Even an free standing 18/18 or better with ears to make it rack mountable. A two space unit with that fabulous big knob would make me sell my 1800 in a heartbeat. Seriously. KA18??? Please ????

OR!/and...Make the Big Knob an Alps servo pot and have a (optional cost?) wireless remote control/channel selector?!! Possible Tablet/Sphone control?

Dave.

You mentioned 'mix control'. Please describe what you mean by that.

Just read this and realized I never responded. By mix control I meant a knob for varying between source audio and the audio output from the DAW (either blending the 2 or picking one or the other). Basically a way to eliminate or decrease latency issues that might occur while monitoring

Just read this and realized I never responded. By mix control I meant a knob for varying between source audio and the audio output from the DAW (either blending the 2 or picking one or the other). Basically a way to eliminate or decrease latency issues that might occur while monitoring

Not all AIs have Monitor Mixing, the KA6 doesn't and neither does my 8i6*.
The KA6 has a switch to flip from the internal source, "zero latency" and USB feed from the PC, with latency but the AI can run such low latency that it does not matter a lot. If you want to use computer effects, reverb, guitar fx, you will need to set for PC output.

These hardware differences are compounded by softwares working in slightly different ways as well, case of head down and learn...Well! You wouldn't want it TOO easy would you?

*I confess I don't have a clue just HTF the Scarlet works! Just know it did..MUST get back on it.

Dave.

Gotcha. That is something I never really had a problem with myself or had to use (direct monitoring).

Much of that need has to do with the latency of the interface but also the computer itself. I always monitor directly from Cubase.

With my i7 W7 build I was able to record vocal tracks on a full mix (50+audio tracks/usually one or two VSTi's a couple IR verbs, delays and tons of comps and eq's) with around 12ms of latency with the US1800 (lowest latency/buffer setting). Not the greatest but no dropouts. Some projects with more VSTi's I would just have to shut down the verbs or freeze a couple synths to make it work smooth.

I'm around 6ms now with the UR824's buffer at 96 samples on same size of project. Less than 50% use on the Cubase VST Performance meter.

This was not so possible with the Lexicon Alpha and programmed drums when I first started. Though then I was using an off the shelf $450 Dell.

Jimmy's last post shows something that many should take on board.

Yes, an i7 machine is powerful beast but 50 tracks and all the trimmings is a heck of a load.
Turn this on its head and it is easy to see that for the newcomer to PC recoding wanting to record one track, maybe two at a time, he/she needs only a very basic, by today's standards, computer.

Noobs frequently say "Of course I shall need to get a better computer/laptop!"
No "of course" about it, what most of us have is almost certainly capable of recording all 8 tracks from the Tassy 1800 and playing back a shedload more...ASSUMING you don't get fancy with verbs and stuff!

Dave.

Here is the actual receipt.

Ignore the KVM switches and the ServiceCenter thing. Total cost was $851.

Attachments

• Receipt0001.pdf
    359.5 KB · Views: 4
Lol Microcenter, it's been a while since I've seen one, good times!

I'm still using my work computer (stock macbook air) for now, but I have an older 2011 macbook pro that I'm thinking of restoring completely and dedicating entirely to music production. I'm also on the fence about instead, looking into a desktop setup, so I can get more power at less cost, but I'd have to move apartments for that :)

Your receipt reminds me of when I put together a custom computer with some friends back in high school. Still boggles my mind the kind of low cost and high power you can get by just putting together your own computer.

Yeah, I'm like a kid in a candy store at Micro Center. Good thing it is 40 minutes across town. :)

Good thing the closest one is almost 2 hours away in Yonkers. I used to visit Boston regularly, half to visit friends, half for my annual Microcenter pilgrimage. :p

Now I ended up going all lame not doing a custom build (although I've swapped cooler, PSU, and hard drives) and ended up with an Asus tower from Best Buy. Been good for me thus far.

Good thing the closest one is almost 2 hours away in Yonkers. I used to visit Boston regularly, half to visit friends, half for my annual Microcenter pilgrimage. :p

Now I ended up going all lame not doing a custom build (although I've swapped cooler, PSU, and hard drives) and ended up with an Asus tower from Best Buy. Been good for me thus far.

If it works, then best for you. :)

Gotcha. That is something I never really had a problem with myself or had to use (direct monitoring).

Much of that need has to do with the latency of the interface but also the computer itself. I always monitor directly from Cubase.

With my i7 W7 build I was able to record vocal tracks on a full mix (50+audio tracks/usually one or two VSTi's a couple IR verbs, delays and tons of comps and eq's) with around 12ms of latency with the US1800 (lowest latency/buffer setting). Not the greatest but no dropouts. Some projects with more VSTi's I would just have to shut down the verbs or freeze a couple synths to make it work smooth.

I'm around 6ms now with the UR824's buffer at 96 samples on same size of project. Less than 50% use on the Cubase VST Performance meter.

This was not so possible with the Lexicon Alpha and programmed drums when I first started. Though then I was using an off the shelf $450 Dell.

I don't really experience latency. I've got songs of similar track counts / VSTs (to Jimmy's) including multiple instances of big synth (Omnisphere) and piano (Pianoteq) VSTIs and programmed drums from two separate packages (Addictive / SSD4) all running at the same time and the PC is yet to break into a canter and when I hear "latency" I wonder what you're all talking about... I don't think I've ever adjusted buffer settings or anything.

When I was shopping around for an interface, I got the impression that RME were doing something well ahead of the curve in terms of transmission of data via USB, so I thought "that'll do" and shelled out for a Fireface UCX. Works for me... but totally not my area of expertise...

Back