Beta 57A for recording?

wishtheend

Just a quick question. My band is getting ready to record a small 3 song EP to distribute locally and while we are tight on budget, I'm trying to get an idea of what mics to use.

We orginally had a SM58 that we used for vocals live. And in a earlier thread, someone told me that the 57 and 58 are pretty much similar mics and I should try the 58 on the distorted guitars when tracking. We've gone through a singer change and the new guy has brought the Beta 57A into the mix. Does anyone have any experience using this infront of cabs or anywhere on the drum kit? And if so, anything I should watch out, or tips?

Thanks for any input guys.

Great for snare, a bit bright for my tastes on guitar cabs, makes a good live vocal mic, that's for certain.

Experiment and see what you think, though, always. :)

boingoman said:
Great for snare, a bit bright for my tastes on guitar cabs, makes a good live vocal mic, that's for certain.

Experiment and see what you think, though, always. :)
I'll echo most of that...the Beta 57A makes an excellent live vocal mic (in my opinion, better than either of the 58's). Also great for snare, but my experience has been pretty good with it on cabs as well. Just be careful with the high freqencies on the amp and you'll get an excellent sound.

Thanks for the replies!

I was getting kinda worried since all the mics we have really aren't great mics, and thinking the 58 was the best solution. But this settles my fears! Looks like I'm going to do more with this mic than thought. :p Thanks again guys.

Back