Best way to get a "heavy" guitar tone

It seems like you all have a bunch of different opinions (duh) on how to do things...but a lot of the stuff mentioned I just couldnt grasp.

-Record cleaner than I normally would. Got it. This is good because originally I would set the amp to really loud, and just turn it down on my firestudio. So I get that.

-Use 1, 2, maybe 3 mics for the amp, 1 brighter, one bassier, one room.

Everything else pretty much went over my head.:(

Im just an idiot, so dont take offense by thinking your not giving good information, I just dont understand since im new.

P.S. Just a lil update to anyone that cares, my comptuer will I hope (keyword) be finally fixed tomorrow, and will most likely be recording something. Ill try and post something if I figure out how to get my audio tracks to mp3 or whatever. But ill leave that for a different thread! haha

It seems like you all have a bunch of different opinions (duh) on how to do things...but a lot of the stuff mentioned I just couldnt grasp.

-Record cleaner than I normally would. Got it. This is good because originally I would set the amp to really loud, and just turn it down on my firestudio. So I get that.

-Use 1, 2, maybe 3 mics for the amp, 1 brighter, one bassier, one room.

Everything else pretty much went over my head.:(

Im just an idiot, so dont take offense by thinking your not giving good information, I just dont understand since im new.

P.S. Just a lil update to anyone that cares, my comptuer will I hope (keyword) be finally fixed tomorrow, and will most likely be recording something. Ill try and post something if I figure out how to get my audio tracks to mp3 or whatever. But ill leave that for a different thread! haha
but the only opinion that counts here is mine the sooner off you figure that out the better off you will be:D LOL Just kidding however there are some folks who do think that way around here, hopefully none of those kind of people has posted to this thread.
You are not an idiot it is just that you are new to the whole recording thing
as the post shows there are more than one way to achieve a desired end result, you just have to figure out what works best for you and sometimes due to lack of equipment you only have one option.

as long as you keep your levels on the DAW Mixer at least below -9db you should be fine.
However I would encourage you to mess around with your equipment to find what recording methods you like best.
if you do not have an amp modeling processor to reamp your signal or don't have VST or DX plugins your only alternative is to record a miked cab. I will add if you are wanting a distorted sound whatever the volume level is coming out of the amp will not have much bearing on the recorded clip as long as you keep the gain set on -9 db to -12 db with the track faders set at 0db
if you are wanting a clean sound you are going to need to pay a little closer attention how you set the volume levels in order to keep from getting a distorted signal/effect before it gets to the track.

Last edited:
"Artists like Jimmy Page and Van Halen have relied on straight-to the -board or speaker simulation for their signature sound for years."
http://www.brevsullivan.com/blogandnews/

The above reference is admittedly a sales pitch and thus the veracity is questionable. Maybe someone here knows more.

I vaguely recall reading an interview years ago (that I'm pretty sure was) with Jimmy Page. In it he said that they pulled some line preamps out of an old discarded console and were direct recording guitar solos. They were killing these old preamps and getting a ferocious nasty sound.

Recording clean tracks for later re-amping is pretty common from what I've read in Tape-Op, but that's a different topic.

I guess I'm mostly curious about why micing an amp is (allegedly) required for a heavy guitar sound. I'm a guitar player before anything else and (IMO) the hardest part about getting a good thrashing heavy sound is preserving clarity so that you can clearly hear pitch (turning down the preamp and turning up the post amp helps :) ). It seems to me that a DI (with a proper selection of effects and simulators) is a step toward controlling the clarity, whereas micing a speaker cabinet complicates things. (Not saying it makes it worse, but it can complicate things.)

Of course, the "heaviest" guitar of all is the bass guitar, and that instrument is widely recorded via DI.

I guess what I'm driving at is "What is the EMPIRICAL explanation for one technique over the other?" (Not "who does it this way" vs. "who does it that way"?)

the bolded section pretty much took the words right out of my mouth and pretty much answered your own question.
the thing about bass is it has a lower frequency response than a 6 string and generally is played on a clean channel where a guitar uses many more effects to process than the bass, which the general belief (although false) is that some of the processed signal is lost if it is DI or that is the argument I always seem to hear and I hear it quite frequently from some of the guitards I have to EQ every week at church.
according to them although I have been to college for this stuff I still don't know what I am talking about Derr O dopey me:D
I am mostly a Bass Player and always go DI whether performing live or recording and a lot of times I go DI without an amp which sounds pretty darn good if I say so myself:cool: but that is another topic too

When you say gain set to -9 to -12, what is that on?

is this somewhat of the "chain"?

DAW mixer/fader (0db)>Firestudio (?db)>Cab/Amp (11oclock position?)

What i did for like 2 days, then my comp diedwas..

-set up a mic randomly on the cab. now i know what to do

-turned the amp up pretty loud, and just tweaked the knob on the firestudio so it never peaked, then moved it down a couple more just in case. dont know if this is rightor not.

-recorded some playing, then turned it up as loud as i could with the fader, without ever clipping. pretty sure that was a bad idea.

:o

When you say gain set to -9 to -12, what is that on?

is this somewhat of the "chain"?

DAW mixer/fader (0db)>Firestudio (?db)>Cab/Amp (11oclock position?)

What i did for like 2 days, then my comp diedwas..

-set up a mic randomly on the cab. now i know what to do

-turned the amp up pretty loud, and just tweaked the knob on the firestudio so it never peaked, then moved it down a couple more just in case. dont know if this is rightor not.

-recorded some playing, then turned it up as loud as i could with the fader, without ever clipping. pretty sure that was a bad idea.

:o

OK
your DAW you should have what is called a docker which has the track/ channel strip
set the master at 0 db on the fader then the track you are going to record to set that fader to 0 db as well then arm the track but do not start recording. on your fire wire studio intereface now set the the gain all the way down play the guitar as hard as you would normally play then turn the gain on the interface up until you get to -9 db on the docker track channel strip once you have that set you can record to the track without any worries of clipping the track. if you need more volume post recording you can bring the fader up.

Alright, I think I have a good example of why lots of gain sounds bad. I did some recording with my band on Sunday, but you can probably tell that the end result is not so great. It was really dumb of me to record this way when I should've known better, but now you see what happens. I'm going DI next time and worrying about the distortion later. Re-amping is easier than re-performing. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.techniciansband.com/2008/12/older/

EDIT: it's also probably a good example of lazy mic placement. But let it be known that the guitars sounded good before being miked, I EQed them a bit in post, and I've gotten decent results with basically the same setup before.

I'd never argue that it's impossible to sound like crap with Line6 equipment, but is it *SO* impossible to sound like crap with an authentic tube amp and microphone? (You were apparently right in this case, but come on, there are some horrible sounding authentic analog & tube amp recordings out there.)

In the interests of full disclosure, I own a couple all-tube amps, I own a Line6 Pod XTLive, and (through my day job) I'm legally defined as "a person of scientific competence [...] informed by scientific knowledge" in the field of computer simulation, emulation, and modeling. I do gag a little whenever I read that, though. :rolleyes:

Most of the time I run my Line6 into an all-tube head just to piss off people on either side of the issue.

I'll be honest, I can't really argue with you here.

I think that really what it is is a combination of two factors, the state of modern modeling technology and user error. I've got a meeting in 10 minutes so I'll have to keep this REALLY quick, but...

1.) technology. Line6 is resting on their laurels. The bare-bones technology behind the Pod hans't changed fundamentally since probably the Pod 2.0, maybe the XT (I don't recall if they re-modeled the amps since). The newer Pods simply have a couple more models, and the options to run multiple models at the same time; nice, but not groundbreaking. It's the same modeling, the same speaker sims, the same technology.

This is beginning to change, but none of the new wave in modeling has gone mainstream yet. There's a LOT of talk about using impulses for cabinet simulation on the net; guys running a direct feed from their amp's FX send (or a line out from a load box) into the board, and then in the mix using an impulse file to "model" the response of a cab. I haven't tried it myself, but a lot of the guys I've talked to who have say their Line6's never sounded better than when they bypassed the speaker simulation and then used a cabinet impulse to model a cab. Likewise, I've heard people get excellent results going this route with tube rigs.

Meanwhile, the AxeFX is evidently getting a name for itself as everything the Pod should have been - accurately point-to-point models of tube amps all the way down to adjustable poweramp saturation, sag, depth, and various other characteristics, and an almost absurd amount of user-tweakability (you can evidently take the power section of one amp, tweak it to your taste in ways that wouldn't even necessarily be possible with the real thing, and mate it to the preamp from another amp). It alledgedly even "feels" like a tube amp, but I haven't gotten a chance to play one yet.

So, the technology's out there, and it's just a matter of time before a paradigm shift where the game changes again. Mainstream modeling technology just isn't as good as the thing it's trying to recreate though.

2.) user error. Sad reality is my experience with Line6 is that a lot of the models are way overgained and have much more active EQ than the actual amps. I suspect a large part of the problem wiith some of the "worst offender" tones I've heard is simply that the guitars are way too saturated. Just because the gain on the Recto Line6 model can go to 10 doesn't mean it necessarily should.

I'll admit to have even flirted with the idea of buying a Pod Pro for late-night demo sessions - my guitars hang on the wall next to my bed, and I've sat up in bed in the middle of the night a few times to work out a part that just came to me before I forget it, and it'd be nice to be able to record it and not trust my memory - and partly for the challange of seeing if I could make it sound a bit less like a modeler than most of the clips I've heard. So far though I'm just more comfortable working wiith my Rectifier (and heres another problem with modeling - I LOVE some of the less well known sounds from the Recto, the cleans and the "raw" mode, yet I've never heard a modeler even try to do something other than the "modern" mode of the recto), and while I'm curious about the AxeFX it sells for about as much as a high end tube head so I'm just not curious enough to spend that kind of cash.

Ten years down the road? Hell, I might even switch over, and I consider myself a tube snob. I'm REALLY curious to hear what's going to happen when modelers start paying more attention to modeling ppoweramp response at different levels, and stop trying to recreate existing amps and start trying to use their tools to create new sounds that might not be possible with tubes.

Anyway, 2PM, gotta run to that meeting!

...which the general belief (although false) is that some of the processed signal is lost if it is DI or that is the argument I always seem to hear and I hear it quite frequently from some of the guitards I have to EQ every week at church.

I am mostly a Bass Player and always go DI whether performing live or recording and a lot of times I go DI without an amp which sounds pretty darn good if I say so myself:cool: but that is another topic too

Oh, that TOTALLY explains why we're disagreeing on DI, then, dude. :) I even DI most of my bass tracks, and while I'm still experimenting with blending DI and mic'd bass tracks, splitting the signal between a DI and an amp, I definitely like the sound and convenience of a DI bass.

For your first comment, I'd argue that the reverse is actually true - you actually "lose" some of the frequency range of the symbol by running through a cab, so you're getting a less colored, more full-frequency signal if you're running through a cab and then through a mic. When it comes to reproducing a signal, even a modern guitar amp does a pretty piss-poor job; the high end is badly attenuated, the lows get lopped off, and the only thing that comes through even remotely cleanly is the midrange. This is augmented when you then slap a SM57 in front of the grill, which pretty much ignores everything under 40Hz and over 16kHz.

The problem is, the sound of this heavy-fisted frequency attenuation really is the sound of rock guitar; 60 years later, we all want to hear guitars sound like this, even if it's the product of a highly inefficient amp.

Maybe you could try to explain it that way to the guys you're dealing with at church? That they're actually getting a purer, broader signal running direct? I mean, the value-call part of it is the same, we all like the heavy EQ that an amp and a cab provide, but if they're as dumb as you say you should be able to sell them on it. ;)

I'll be honest, I can't really argue with you here.
[...] I haven't tried it myself, but a lot of the guys I've talked to who have say their Line6's never sounded better than when they bypassed the speaker simulation and then used a cabinet impulse to model a cab. Likewise, I've heard people get excellent results going this route with tube rigs.

That's interesting and news to me. I bypass the speaker simulation when running into a tube amp (rather than direct to recording). It sounds very different (speaker sim. on/off) but I haven't really explored that avenue.

2.) user error. Sad reality is my experience with Line6 is that a lot of the models are way overgained and have much more active EQ than the actual amps. I suspect a large part of the problem wiith some of the "worst offender" tones I've heard is simply that the guitars are way too saturated. Just because the gain on the Recto Line6 model can go to 10 doesn't mean it necessarily should.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. On my Pod XT Live, I would agree that the influence of the "amp knobs" do -not- correspond to the influence of the real knobs being emulated. Setting the Pod XTL to 10 could easily be like setting the real amp to 8 or 12 or 28.

As a result, it is possible to get some nice sounds out of it, but I've never considered it a particularly high fidelity amp simulator (despite the marketing).

I'll admit to have even flirted with the idea of buying a Pod Pro for late-night demo sessions - [...] - partly for the challange of seeing if I could make it sound a bit less like a modeler than most of the clips I've heard.

My favorite presets with the Pod XTL are clean or only slightly dirty. :cool:

I didn't buy it to actually replicate the sound of any amp and fool the experts - but it's a $350 box that produces a whole universe of pretty decent sounds. Admittedly some of them are junk (but without rad high gain, how will you sell it to kids at GC?) Still, it ranks as the most incredible bang-for-the-buck guitar tool I've ever used.

And besides, I've never believed that a "good sound" means that some stuffy expert can identify my guitar, amp, and string gauge from a recording. Newbie that I am, I kinda thought it meant something different...

Next month I'll post clips of smoke coming from my tube amps with a phalanx of microphones in front. I just don't have the space to do it right now. :D

And besides, I've never believed that a "good sound" means that some stuffy expert can identify my guitar, amp, and string gauge from a recording. Newbie that I am, I kinda thought it meant something different...

Haha, this is the thing that often gets lost in "tube vs modeler" debates. I suppose I should clarify that a lot of my issues with modelers aren't that "Gee, that just doesn't quite sound like a '57 Bassman to me, and that Plexi model sounds like the caps were a little old when they started working" and more that I just haven't heard too many terribly musical tones coming from one.

So much of this is relative, too - I love my Rectoverb. I also love Tom Waits. Yet, the Recto sounds like absolute ass for something like "Cold Water" - it's just TOO clear, too pristine, too articulate. Meanwhile, my roommate has this tiny old '70's solid state Traynor that by rights should sound like crap, and sort of does, but sounds like an old amp cranked up to the point of melting down when you, well, crank it up to the point of melting down, lol. I'll plug my strat into that thing, and it's just the perfect grungy, shitty bluesy sort of sound of an amp exploding, basically, that just OWNS for that stuff. It's perfect, lol, yet while it might be the right tone "for the part," no one would ever confuse it for a "good tone."

My 2 cents.........another trick I use is to take one rhythm gtr track and
clone it, then offset it from the source by several milliseconds (experiment with the time). Then pan the two tracks hard left/right and keep one track dry and the other with FX/compression/Radical EQ, etc.
For many of my songs, this results in a tighter rhythm gtr sound than combining several takes. Give it a try, experiment, it's fun !!

Wow, lot's of good info and spirited debate in this thread. But y'know, this topic comes up fairly often, and after reading everything and years of playing, I've found the answer. To get a heavy guitar sound...you have to start with a heavy guitar.

Attachments

• hvy_guitar.jpg
    hvy_guitar.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 46
You know, I was doing some recording last night after work for the first time in maybe a week or so (finger injury, job, booze, holiday, etc). I'd picked up a uber-cheap ribbon mic (Nady RS-4) maybe a year ago and never really used it until the other week when I tried it for a lead track and immediately fell in love with the results (it's not a very "transparent" mic, but the way it colors the sound works wonders with a Mesa Rectifier), so I started screwing with a combination of the RS-4 and a SM57, figuring that the two of them together would magically give me like the metallest tone ever. I also, ironically, tracked the guitars originally with a bit too much gain.

The results were pretty good, and yes lowering the gain made the guitars sound "bigger," but it got me thinking... I'd just gotten a rhythm sound on par with what I've heard from many local semi-pro studios, but it wasn't knock-your-socks-off pro quality good. In other words, the addition of the ribbon wasn't the "magic bullet" I was looking for.

So, I'm going to go off on another tangent here, I guess. It's worth keeping in mind when trying to record guitars that there IS no magic bullet, much as we want to believe otherwise. As such, all you can really do is talk in generalities. Here's a few worth keeping in mind.

*the only "secret" to recording heavy guitars is to do it a fucking LOT. I was messing around with mic placement last night and wondering how the interaction between the two mics would change the tone, and how slight changes would help or hurt the resulting sound, and would it maybe be better to do them at the amp rather than with mic placement. And it hit me, the problem here is I didn't KNOW what would happen, I was having to experiment, record 30 seconds, and then listen back, and your ears are notoriously unreliable. The only way to be able to consistently churn out good-sounding tracks of heavy guitar is just to do it so much that you can take out most of the guesswork.

*almost as important as getting the tone right is getting a tight performance, for both the guitars and the other instruments they interact with. I'm a noticably better lead player than I am a rhythm player, because I do a lot more of the former than the later, and in addition the "heaviest" part of the song I was working on was something where I hadn't quite worked out the part 100%. Listening to the playback with the leads muted, it sounded pretty damned good, until suddenly I'd palm mute and chug on one side, and pick un-muted on the other, or play one extra muted chug on one side that wasn't on the other, and then suddenly this tight, thick rhythm tone would fall apart. If your guitarist isn't doubling his parts perfectly, then you're wasting your time.

I think I'll refrain from giving advice for the rest of the thread, because I'm obviously not experienced on #1 to really be an authority, and every time I want to say something, I'll remember #2 and go practice instead. :D

Yup, less gain, more mid is good advice. Otherwise, guitars get lost in the mix. I play live with a lot more gain, and a lot less mid than I record with.

Yup, less gain, more mid is good advice. Otherwise, guitars get lost in the mix. I play live with a lot more gain, and a lot less mid than I record with.

Really? My experience is that if anything the moderate gain/added mids thing is even MORE true in a live situation than in a studio. I'll sometimes cheat and up the gain a little bit if I'm playing the sort of stuff where the added compression would make it easier for me to nail a part, or if I'm having an off night and my legato just isn't flowing, but I always run the mids pretty high because it just rips through a mix.

EDIT - I mean, I remember your being a bit of a fellow Mesa fanboi, and even a scooped Recto can still cut pretty well, but it does so way better if you keep the mids up...

Back