Best way to connect Compressor / Limiter to mixing desk for main out.

Richbee

Hi there,
I'm a bit confused about how to add a compressor / limiter to my mixing desk in order to process everything coming from the main out. I know I could insert on individual tracks but I'm using three tracks ( mic, decks and another for various jingles and sound effects) and I want to process everything coming out the mixing desk before going into my interface. I have send and return but no other inserts on the main out.
I'd be very grateful for any tips.
Thanks a lot!
Cheers
Rich

What desk?

You can simply connect the output of the console to the input of the compressor and the output of the compressor to the interface.

Thanks for that!.
I thought that originally but wasn't quite sure.
The compressor I'm thinking of has 2 channels so I guess use both ; one for left and one for right (main out from mixer)?
Thanks again

Yes, use both channels and link them as a stereo pair rather than using them as separate channels.

But there are sometimes reasons to use an insert if it's available. For example, putting the compressor after the mixer means that fader adjustments alter how the compressor reacts. Using inserts puts the compressor upstream of the master fader.

Back