Best Sub $500 2Ch Mic Pre Amp For Vox

Line 6 UX2 has got to be the best 2 channel Ive used and it makes that price point...it has voicings of many vintage pres and is quiet as a mouse too...incredible value...makes my C414 shine...just think 200 bucks for 2 channels of Neve...avalon...API...etc.

And the modeling is done on your computer so its much better than the early offerings like the pod.

darrin_h2000 said:
Line 6 UX2 has got to be the best 2 channel Ive used and it makes that price point...it has voicings of many vintage pres and is quiet as a mouse too...incredible value...makes my C414 shine...just think 200 bucks for 2 channels of Neve...avalon...API...etc.

And the modeling is done on your computer so its much better than the early offerings like the pod.

I think I'm going to need some proof as well.

GOODLAND said:
Is the RNP noticeably noisier than others in its price range? Does it present any
problems when recording?

The RNP is quite clean unless you're boosting 60db or more. Unless you're recording quiet sources with a ribbon microphone, preamp noise won't be an issue.

darrin_h2000 said:

Darrin:
(Goodland, sorry for "change the way" of thread, but):
UX2 can be used only as a simple pre or you have to use all features (like a converter too, which I don´t need)?

(edit) I´m thinking now:
did I a fool (or wrong) question ? :confused: :p

Ciro

Last edited:
no. just poking fun.

wanted to warn them before Cresscock put his 2c in.

Robert D, what good would it do?

CIRO said:
Darrin:
(Goodland, sorry for "change the way" of thread, but):
UX2 can be used only as a simple pre or you have to use all features (like a converter too, which I don´t need)?

(edit) I´m thinking now:
did I a fool (or wrong) question ? :confused: :p

Ciro

I don't think I could utilize all the features of that pre-amp since I do ALL my recording work in Pro Tools.

BigRay said:
no. just poking fun.

wanted to warn them before Cresscock put his 2c in.

Robert D, what good would it do?

Hey Ray - I was never part of the "samples are useless" posse, I like them and think they're somewhat useful, if not just entertaining. I believe our heated exchange was about Op Amps and their role in determining the sound of the overall circuit designed around them, which you ended with something like "oh yeah, well my dick's bigger than yours, and you wear a pocket protector and spelled a word wrong". Being no match for that level of intellect, I left you a tip about not confusing having the biggest one with being the biggest one.
Well, that was fun reliving that, thanks for the memories! :D

What good would it do? Um, what good was it supposed to do when you posted the DAV samples? I really don't get this. :confused:

Darrin has been very enthusiastic about the Line 6 UX2, and at times, possibly a little over-exuberant in his wording like "200 bucks for 2 channels of Neve...avalon...API...etc". I'm not trying to bust his balls or anything, I'm glad he's happy with his UX2. I'm sure everyone knows that such a claim is like saying "Anteres Mic modeller, 200 bucks for a whole wardrobe of Telefunkens, Neumans, RCAs, etc". Anyway, I just thought it would be interesting to hear some samples of the different emulations. I don't know anything about his room, but a 414 is a decent source mic.

Robert D said:
What good would it do? Um, what good was it supposed to do when you posted the DAV samples? I really don't get this. :confused:
you are reading too much into it. I was asking you what good it would do, thats all.

Relax. ;)

BigRay said:
you are reading too much into it. I was asking you what good it would do, thats all.

Relax. ;)

I'm about the most relaxed person you could meet, really. :) It's hard to tell through this medium.

Robert D said:
I'm about the most relaxed person you could meet, really. :) It's hard to tell through this medium.

Yeah. You come off very defensive. It is all good. I probably come off like a dickhead.

well, 2 c from the cheap/poor kid..

seventh circle audio...

build it yourself! neve, api, jensen, all in a nice somewhat modular system. costs i think around $650 to get started with the chassis, PSU and one kit, but then each additional pre is up to $300...

if you are skilled in this area of course!

im saving up for the initial purchase as we speak. grr i hate being 16! i have to 'plan for the future'... bull crap, i love to spend money..

Massive Master said:
In that price range, nothing touches it.

No offense, but this line is uttered more times about more products than any other line used in relation to cheap gear.

EDAN said:
No offense, but this line is uttered more times about more products than any other line used in relation to cheap gear.

Who gives a shit??John has plenty of experience to back up what he says. Those that are new would do well to listen to what he has to say.

Back