Best Sub $500 2Ch Mic Pre Amp For Vox

GOODLAND

Wanted to know what you guys think the best $500 2Ch mic pre was for vocals.
It doesn't have to be $500 exactly but somewhere close (+ or - $100). It will be used with some higher end LDC mics.

bigwillz24 said:
I'm sure you know there is no such thing as best and to let your ears be the judge. That being said the RNP smokes.

Yes, I know that my ears are the best judge, but I'd rather not waste time
printing out a bunch of return labels for mic pres I ended up not liking.
If I had a pro audio shop by where I live I would defiantly take advantage of it.
But since I don't, you guys are the next best thing.

Here is a quote from the RNP creator who is talking about the down sides of the RNP.

"The RNP is relatively noisy when evaluated by lab measurement. Many mic pres
these days (including the really cheap ones) have very low noise floors (EINs of
-127dB or better). The RNP's EIN of -120dB is obviously not as "good" as these
others."

Is the RNP noticeably noisier than others in its price range? Does it present any
problems when recording?

I want to keep away from any preamps that have built-in compressors, EQs, or
tubes because at this price range I wan't a product that I know the money was
put into the pre-amp itself, and not any extra features.

GOODLAND said:
Does it present any
problems when recording?

Could be a little problematic when recording gnat farts from a distance; although the -120db noisefloor will be far from the most problematic part of recording gnat farts. Mic placement and timing are the usual hangups... I guess before I get into it any further I should ask, do you plan on recording gnat farts?

Reggie said:
do you plan on recording gnat farts?

If they got the $Cash$ :D

Anyway, it sounds like the noise issue isn't a big problem.
The RNP will probably be my pick unless anyone has any better suggestions.

Reggie said:
Could be a little problematic when recording gnat farts from a distance; although the -120db noisefloor will be far from the most problematic part of recording gnat farts. Mic placement and timing are the usual hangups... I guess before I get into it any further I should ask, do you plan on recording gnat farts?

LMFAO.

wow thats one of the funniest things ive heard on this forum. thank you.

Adam

Remember...

Some of those "vintage" pres out there have a noisy rep, it doesn't mean bad, just different. The RNP is a good pre, and you would probably keep it. Even after later getting "better" pres. It's all about the source and if YOU or a producer think it sounds good. I'd equate it to wine, I like bold reds, but my wife likes sweeter whites. Neither one of us is wrong, just different palettes. Also the SPECK MicPre 5.0 is another good one. Check mercenary.com, they are a great resource :) .

Blue Groove said:
Some of those "vintage" pres out there have a noisy rep, it doesn't mean bad, just different. The RNP is a good pre, and you would probably keep it. Even after later getting "better" pres. It's all about the source and if YOU or a producer think it sounds good. I'd equate it to wine, I like bold reds, but my wife likes sweeter whites. Neither one of us is wrong, just different palettes. Also the SPECK MicPre 5.0 is another good one. Check mercenary.com, they are a great resource :) .

The SPECK MicPre 5.0 loks like a good pre but it's only a single channel and I
was looking for something with dual channel.
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Under $500 for 2 channels of pre - the RNP is really the only solid option.

Two Rane MS-1b's @ $150 each would be another way to go.

I'm stepping up from a MAudio DMP3. Will I hear a great deal of difference with
the RNP? Or will the sound difference be too subtle to tell?
I'm planning on buying a Gefell M930 to pair up with the RNP.
But if the RNP isn't much of a step from the DMP3 then I'd rather
save the money and go with a better Mic Pre.

GOODLAND said:
I'm stepping up from a MAudio DMP3. Will I hear a great deal of difference with
the RNP? Or will the sound difference be too subtle to tell?
I'm planning on buying a Gefell M930 to pair up with the RNP.
But if the RNP isn't much of a step from the DMP3 then I'd rather
save the money and go with a better Mic Pre.

Whether you'd hear the difference could depend on a lot of factors - including your AD/DA converters, monitors, room acoustics, your experience. But, yes, the RNP is a step up from the DMP3. The DMP3's pretty clean, and the RNP has a little color to it. Also a nice, extended high-end.

But if you can swing it, and really want a difference, then I'd be in the camp that'd say to save up and get a better mic pre. Average price for two channels of some of the good stuff is around $1500.

Of course it all depends on what you wanna do and what you're recording. You haven't given any info on that. Something like a $1200ish Peluso 22 251 is going to still sound pretty damn good, even through a DMP3. So, you might wanna consider how and where you want to spend your money to get where you're going.

Dot said:
Whether you'd hear the difference could depend on a lot of factors - including your AD/DA converters, monitors, room acoustics, your experience. But, yes, the RNP is a step up from the DMP3. The DMP3's pretty clean, and the RNP has a little color to it. Also a nice, extended high-end.

But if you can swing it, and really want a difference, then I'd be in the camp that'd say to save up and get a better mic pre. Average price for two channels of some of the good stuff is around $1500.

Of course it all depends on what you wanna do and what you're recording. You haven't given any info on that. Something like a $1200ish Peluso 22 251 is going to still sound pretty damn good, even through a DMP3. So, you might wanna consider how and where you want to spend your money to get where you're going.

This pre is going to be for vocals of all types.
I plan on using a Gefell M930 through whichever pre I get.

have the dmp3 and rnp, the rnp is clearer, esp in the mid-hi mid region, and it has slightly better "air"

are you gonna crap your pants, probably not, but the pre was well worth the price to me.

Since it was $500 +/- $100, see if you can track down a used VMP-2. One of the very few great things that Peavey ever did (that and the VC/L-2 compressor). They run about $600 or so used. Real tube (8 of them), two channels with pad and LF cut (80hz and 40hz) on each channel. Line in and 2 band EQ on each channel. Phantom is switchable on each channel. This will be substantially different than your DMP-3 (and an RNP). Very nice for vocals and great for DI. Can be improved by swapping out the standard Sovtek 12ax7s for NOS tubes (smoother highs in my case).

Of course they were so good that Peavey has discontinued them -- so used is all there is. But there are a fair number of them around so they are not that hard to come by.

GOODLAND said:
This pre is going to be for vocals of all types.
I plan on using a Gefell M930 through whichever pre I get.

ive got some 930/DAV samples if you are interested, for kicks.

Back