Best soundcard for *listening* to music?

Jedman

Well, I am going to have to give up my Philips Acoustic Edge, and get a new soundcard because the drivers are not stable in XP SP2 - keep getting the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error.

So...with that in mind, does anyone have a favorite card to recommend for *listening* to music from my PC? Won't be doing any recording on this machine. My buddy now has a home studio, and any recording is now done on his new rig.
Thanks,
Jed

Good question,

What is considered to be a Hi-Fi card without all the extras needed for recording?

I'd like to see the answer to this one myself...

When you say listening, do you mean real Hi-Fi, sit down and relax type listening or just listening to music while you do something else?

Will you be connectiing it up to top drawer monitors/speakers?

Using it for perhaps Mastering duties?

i'm not too sure either. i was thinking the m-audio revolution though maybe? it might be overkill with its sound surround capabilities. i think an x-fi may also be overkill with its EAX 4.0 support.

it all depends

Jedman said:
does anyone have a favorite card to recommend for *listening* to music from my PC?

If you are doing somthing serious like mixing, or mastering wave files (not recording) you would need to find something with clear d/a coverters (digital to analog) Apogee makes the best converters for this And if you were going to spend money on the best converters, you would want to get some good reference monitors so you can hear whats really there Event has a line of good ones the whole thing could cost thousands.

But if you were just wanting to enjoy a mastered cd, i would plug my headphones into the little whole in front of (or in back of) my computer.

I guess it all depends on what you are doing.

---mike---

Back